IGNORED

That Guy Who Lied About High Scores

Stan

This brings me to a question, are there (in your opinions) an actual moral, and sane gaming club? A better place to flaunt your score?

Well.. I do have a site for this, but I am not going to make a case on whether it is better than Twin Galaxies or not..

The focus of the site I run is a bit different than Twin Galaxies, anyway, as it's aim is to gather everyone's best scores, while TG is focused on being the authority for world records.

• 2 months later...

This link...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/10989-barnstorming-game-#1-3204-what-the/

...doesn't seem to be working. It was an interesting read, one I wish I could go back through.

As for Twin Galaxies, I was actually looking for them yesterday. Just putting in http://www.twingalaxies.com leads to http://www.the-1up.com/twingalaxies.html which is some guy that has a few arcades. It seems that once Walter left, everything kinda slowly fell apart. There's a Facebook page, but it's mostly people talking about submitting money to have their scores validated, then waiting a long time for no results.

ò¿ó

Edited by Jeffy Arensmeyer

I've seen the documentaries for King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts. Walter and his cronies ran a really tight ship. It's sad to see the site fall apart like this. And as much as I hate to say this, probably the best way to get recognition these days is to post gameplay videos to the internet. See Speed Demos Archive. Every video upload is public so there's no disputes regarding cheating or authenticity of gameplay. In fact people borrow from other's techniques so games are constantly improving. While their primary focus is on beating the game rather than obtaining a high score, I would like to see WR attempts done in this format. Totally different style of gameplay but I would love to see human players as well as the TAS community jump on the high score bandwagon. Think about how awesome a TAS Donkey Kong score would look be. How High can you try...

I really like this idea. The more transparent and public, the less likely to be controversial. Twin Galaxies has a large archive of videos. All they need to do is digitize them, then upload to Youtube, then run ads against them. I'm perfectly fine with monetizing these records this way, to help maintain the site.

There are already complete record games of Donkey Kong on YouTube. Really neat to see how the pros play.

• Like 1

I really like this idea. The more transparent and public, the less likely to be controversial. Twin Galaxies has a large archive of videos. All they need to do is digitize them, then upload to Youtube, then run ads against them. I'm perfectly fine with monetizing these records this way, to help maintain the site.

There are already complete record games of Donkey Kong on YouTube. Really neat to see how the pros play.

Many of the folks who submitted videos to TG did so under the premise they wouldnt be made public. Some of the record holders consider some of their gameplay strategies to be trade secrets so TG cant just go posting on YouTube alot of the old stuff.

Good idea moving forward to eliminate the current 'pay for review' strategy they currently have.

For me I post my scores on Serious' website. I like the social aspect the most but also use it as a place to contain all my scores. I no longer need an Excel spreadsheet to keep them. I also love the achievements you get and your total score showing how many games you actually have played.

This link...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/10989-barnstorming-game-#1-3204-what-the/

...doesn't seem to be working. It was an interesting read, one I wish I could go back through.

Try this:

atariage.com/forums/topic/10989-barnstorming-game-%231-3204-what-the/

Looking back on the old thread about Barnstorming, it's hard to believe that Todd didn't know that the time on the certificate was bogus. All he did was play games. He knew every score and every time he ever made, so he had to know that someone made a mistake when he received confirmation. Nevertheless, water under the bridge. Still a good read.

Twin Galaxies was quite thorough back in the day, or Day rather. It's still a very valuable database of scores, but also serves as an electronic history that should be archived. Even though all of the original caretakers are gone, the information they gathered is the history of the beginning of video gaming that must be kept. Just because some other entity takes over control of Twin Galaxies, it doesn't mean that everything before then is irrelevant.

And the farce that strategies must be kept secret is exactly that; a farce. Unless you want to try to maintain a governing body of employees, whether paid or volunteer, that verifies scores, then there has to be public transparency and validation of scores and playthroughs. The time of secret video tapes has been replaced with YouTube.

ò¿ó

• Like 3

And the farce that strategies must be kept secret is exactly that; a farce. Unless you want to try to maintain a governing body of employees, whether paid or volunteer, that verifies scores, then there has to be public transparency and validation of scores and playthroughs. The time of secret video tapes has been replaced with YouTube.

ò¿ó

Word. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Until that site no longer exists...

Seriously, though...

I intend to be doing High Score for the rest of my life. To be honest, I'd love to be doing this as my job, and my dream is that it will grow into a large social network like Foursquare someday, but that will depend on whether or not I an successful in continuing to evolve it into something that lots of people enjoy using.

But should I be struck by lightning...

Players currently keep records of their achievements external to highscore.com, on Youtube or photo-hosting services, so they do in fact have records of their own achievements, by the nature of how High Score submissions are made. (You have to provide a link to a video or photo when you post a score, and that evidence is hosted in an external account that belongs to the submitter.)

If anyone thinks it is beneficial, I could give users the ability to export their own scores to a file that can be loading into a spreadsheet.

High Score (or Twin Galaxies, or anyone else) doesn't own anyone's score, and people can post their scores wherever they want, or submit them nowhere. The idea that any organization should have a monopoly on scores is something that doesn't make sense to me. Scores belong to the people who achieve them.

Seriously, though...

I intend to be doing High Score for the rest of my life. To be honest, I'd love to be doing this as my job, and my dream is that it will grow into a large social network like Foursquare someday, but that will depend on whether or not I an successful in continuing to evolve it into something that lots of people enjoy using.

But should I be struck by lightning...

Players currently keep records of their achievements external to highscore.com, on Youtube or photo-hosting services, so they do in fact have records of their own achievements, by the nature of how High Score submissions are made. (You have to provide a link to a video or photo when you post a score, and that evidence is hosted in an external account that belongs to the submitter.)

If anyone thinks it is beneficial, I could give users the ability to export their own scores to a file that can be loading into a spreadsheet.

High Score (or Twin Galaxies, or anyone else) doesn't own anyone's score, and people can post their scores wherever they want, or submit them nowhere. The idea that any organization should have a monopoly on scores is something that doesn't make sense to me. Scores belong to the people who achieve them.

Quick question: If someone posts a high score video publicly online, are they still allowed to submit the original recording to Twin Galaxies?

I could see this being an issue if someone posts a high score run online and later someone informs them they are a world record contender if they just submit it to TG...

Edited by stardust4ever

Jeffy Arensmeyer, Stan and other participants,

Pay special attention in the videos which I made and submitted exclusively for HighScore.com: Megamania, H.E.R.O. and Dolphin, the 3 Activision games which I played on Default Modes (Game 1, Difficulty BB), and in which I was able to EQUAL Todd Rogers score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwNSDJmWAw

Edited by oyamafamily

Quick question: If someone posts a high score video publicly online, are they still allowed to submit the original recording to Twin Galaxies?

I could see this being an issue if someone posts a high score run online and later someone informs them they are a world record contender if they just submit it to TG...

Cant speak for the new TG Mgmt but from the old as long as the recording follows their standards for review then it doesnt matter what you do with the video and when you submit it.

• 2 months later...

I play at http://www.retrouprising.com/. It might not be perfect, and its done with emulation, but it updates scores daily and has a ton of games covering many different platforms. It records your game, and anyone can watch it. You can't cheat, it doesn't allow you to alter settings when playing for a high score. Its good enough for me, but I can also understand where others might not find it to be there cup of tea.

I'd like to add another upcoming high score system for NES, called scoreboard. Brian of RetroUSB, aka BunnyBoy at NintendoAge, is working on a device called scoreboard. Scoreboard will be fully integrated on both the PowerPak 2 and the HDMI NES. It interfaces with software on a PC to connect to the internet and stream high score attempts live. The NA server examines the data and verifies the checksum of the game to ensure that no game modifications or other cheats were used. If the verification clears, the high score will be posted along with the member's username. While they won't qualify for World records due to the fact the hardware isn't 100% stock (and presumably isn't immune to TAS Robots), it will be nice to have bragging rights and say "yeah I got a million points on XXX" and also be able to link to the database to proove it.