IGNORED

That Guy Who Lied About High Scores

Stan

I'd like to add another upcoming high score system for NES, called scoreboard. Brian of RetroUSB, aka BunnyBoy at NintendoAge, is working on a device called scoreboard. Scoreboard will be fully integrated on both the PowerPak 2 and the HDMI NES. It interfaces with software on a PC to connect to the internet and stream high score attempts live. The NA server examines the data and verifies the checksum of the game to ensure that no game modifications or other cheats were used. If the verification clears, the high score will be posted along with the member's username. While they won't qualify for World records due to the fact the hardware isn't 100% stock (and presumably isn't immune to TAS Robots), it will be nice to have bragging rights and say "yeah I got a million points on XXX" and also be able to link to the database to proove it.

Powerpak 2? HDMI NES? I've been outta the loop with retroUSB lately but I've got to go check it out.

Powerpak 2? HDMI NES? I've been outta the loop with retroUSB lately but I've got to go check it out.

They are upcoming products. No word hyet on release date. Check here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

Mockup:

C177ECEE-0819-57F5-D46D4AB075243D5F.png

It's an all new FPGA console with 100% new parts, supports 720p over HDMI with optional scanlines, 100% compatibility with all NES and Famicom games and accessories, except zapper which won't operate on HD display due to timings and display tech. Built in Four Score and Famicom 15-pin EXT port included.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I play at http://www.retrouprising.com/. It might not be perfect, and its done with emulation, but it updates scores daily and has a ton of games covering many different platforms. It records your game, and anyone can watch it. You can't cheat, it doesn't allow you to alter settings when playing for a high score. Its good enough for me, but I can also understand where others might not find it to be there cup of tea.

Neat idea - wish they would use the NTSC artifacting for the 5200/8bit titles. Also, I tried using IE to play but my scores wouldnt submit - even when it told me 'success'.

Neat idea - wish they would use the NTSC artifacting for the 5200/8bit titles. Also, I tried using IE to play but my scores wouldnt submit - even when it told me 'success'.

It normally takes a few hours before the scores are shown, so they should be successfully saved. Check tomorrow so they have atleast 24 hours to verify it and put it up on the board.

They are upcoming products. No word hyet on release date. Check here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

Mockup:

C177ECEE-0819-57F5-D46D4AB075243D5F.png

It's an all new FPGA console with 100% new parts, supports 720p over HDMI with optional scanlines, 100% compatibility with all NES and Famicom games and accessories, except zapper which won't operate on HD display due to timings and display tech. Built in Four Score and Famicom 15-pin EXT port included.

Wow, is that thing actually available for purchase? I'm guessing not yet. Is there a timeframe? Nice!

• 2 months later...

For the record (and this will be the last time I address this issue), my issue with Todd is as follows:

1. When I initially broached the subject that there is NO WAY Todd's 32.04 was legit or even remotely possible, I was immediately shot down by both the referee that "verified" the score, as well as Todd's sycophants. Right from the start, I was made out to be a sore loser bad guy, when I knew the score had to be bogus as listed.

2. Upon my raising a big stink and getting into flame wars over it, Todd was made aware of the complaint about the bogus score, and did NOTHING about it. Not even so much as "Hey, he's right, that's not the time I got and is not even possible". Instead, he let it float while I was getting flamed for daring to question his records.

3. Furthermore, I come to find out later that this score was floated as legit for DECADES. I'm sorry, but when you're trying to shave tenths of a second off, you know exactly what your score really was, so it strikes me as just a tad dishonest to not even bother to pick up a phone or write a letter to get the record corrected.

4. This is on the ref: Once it was proven the score was impossible, the ref admitted (after having first lied to me) that he never witnessed the record to begin with. Instead, he copied the record entry from some magazine article, and the excuse given was some sort of typo due to a "coffee stain". Nevertheless, Todd allowed it to transfer to TG and stand as is.

5. My brother was in charge of C-64 games, and caught Todd red-handed entering in his own records. Meanwhile the rest of us referees were not allowed to do this, and had to submit records to other refs like everyone else. It turns out the previous referee that had been entering Todd's scores was doing it without actually verifying the records himself (as evidenced by the Barnstorming debacle). This went against everything TG stood for, and was a major reason I lost faith in the concept of a trustworthy database of records. Too many people were washing each other's backs, so to speak.

I could name a couple of other suspicious shenanigans, but the above was more than enough to make me not trust Todd or some of the TG staff. I'm sure he's a very charismatic person; a great guy to be around, and so on, but after the way I was treated by his shitty-assed fans and his lack of transparency during the issue, I want nothing further to do with the man. I can't even play those Atari games anymore without it reminding me of all this crap and making my blood boil over it. I just wanted ACTUAL records I could trust and compete against. I guess that was too much to demand.

Edited by Karbuncle
  • Like 1

So after more than 10 weeks someone makes his 2nd post ever because he feels himself constrained to revive this dead thread... :ponder:

I always find it jind of ironic when someone joins a forum to post one or two rants on a thread and then expects to be taken credibly. Very ironic the long reply, although it stands that there were bogus records entered. Well guess what? People make mistakes. It's how they handle themselves after they've been notified of the error, when their true charater is revealed. That said, the dude has a point. Twin Galaxies really dropped the ball on this one.

• Like 2

So after more than 10 weeks someone makes his 2nd post ever because he feels himself constrained to revive this dead thread... :ponder:

Sounds totally credible to me. Twin galaxies didn't have good checks & balances... leaving it wide open for corruption. Todd made money from breaking records, so he had a strong motive to game the system.

• Like 2

Sounds totally credible to me. Twin galaxies didn't have good checks & balances... leaving it wide open for corruption. Todd made money from breaking records, so he had a strong motive to game the system.

Lol - can you indicate the vast amount of money Twin Galaxies paid Todd for those records? Ill give you a hint, its under $10 and the first digit is a 0.

• Like 1

Lol - can you indicate the vast amount of money Twin Galaxies paid Todd for those records? Ill give you a hint, its under $10 and the first digit is a 0.

The Twin Galaxies records were used to give him credibility. He used that to get paid gigs.

• Like 1

The Twin Galaxies records were used to give him credibility. He used that to get paid gigs.

Bzzzt - try again. You give TG 1000% more credit in this arena than they ever had.

Ill give you a hint - Dragster.

Edited by Goochman

I've heard these complaints about TG before. And I think they have credibility. We all know what good old boys clubs can be like. People trust people they know and don't want to rock the boat. It happens.

Sadly, I think a outfit like TG is a great concept. But only if there's integrity there. If Todd Rodgers was found to be faking his scores due to them not even being possible, then all his scores should be suspect and he should be forced to do them again and provide proof like everyone else. The fact that there was fighting and flame wars over the issue says to me that integrity is not a strong suit of those over at TG. Sad thing is, if the good people felt the need to quit out of disgust... What's left?

Wow, is that thing actually available for purchase? I'm guessing not yet. Is there a timeframe? Nice!

Get the retron5 man. It's HDMI and plays, GBA, NES, SNES, SMS, GEN, FAM AND SUPER FAM

Also has a bunch of other cool stuff like playable save state and screen captures, SD slot, etc...

Retron 5 is for sale now at Amazon. Not cheap.

Too bad it won't run flash carts... that would be the main reason I would get one.

Available for the same price here:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Retro-Retron-5-Black/sku/294651434.uts#.U6zhq7HLIiE

FYI, it may be cheaper to buy through Amazon due to the lack of sales tax. Go Hastings has retail stores in Texas / Louisiana / Arkansas and elsewhere, meaning you'll have to pay sales tax if you live in those states. Currently no sales tax for Amazon purchases in Louisiana though the tax loophole won't last forever...

Edit: Yup

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.

Our site is not set up to accept tax exemptions. Purchases needing to be made with tax exemptions, must be made through your local Hastings store.

Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

Alabama

Arkansas

Arizona

Colorado

Florida

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Washington

Wyoming

Edited by stardust4ever

• 4 weeks later...

For the record (and this will be the last time I address this issue), my issue with Todd is as follows:

1. When I initially broached the subject that there is NO WAY Todd's 32.04 was legit or even remotely possible, I was immediately shot down by both the referee that "verified" the score, as well as Todd's sycophants. Right from the start, I was made out to be a sore loser bad guy, when I knew the score had to be bogus as listed.

2. Upon my raising a big stink and getting into flame wars over it, Todd was made aware of the complaint about the bogus score, and did NOTHING about it. Not even so much as "Hey, he's right, that's not the time I got and is not even possible". Instead, he let it float while I was getting flamed for daring to question his records.

3. Furthermore, I come to find out later that this score was floated as legit for DECADES. I'm sorry, but when you're trying to shave tenths of a second off, you know exactly what your score really was, so it strikes me as just a tad dishonest to not even bother to pick up a phone or write a letter to get the record corrected.

4. This is on the ref: Once it was proven the score was impossible, the ref admitted (after having first lied to me) that he never witnessed the record to begin with. Instead, he copied the record entry from some magazine article, and the excuse given was some sort of typo due to a "coffee stain". Nevertheless, Todd allowed it to transfer to TG and stand as is.

5. My brother was in charge of C-64 games, and caught Todd red-handed entering in his own records. Meanwhile the rest of us referees were not allowed to do this, and had to submit records to other refs like everyone else. It turns out the previous referee that had been entering Todd's scores was doing it without actually verifying the records himself (as evidenced by the Barnstorming debacle). This went against everything TG stood for, and was a major reason I lost faith in the concept of a trustworthy database of records. Too many people were washing each other's backs, so to speak.

I could name a couple of other suspicious shenanigans, but the above was more than enough to make me not trust Todd or some of the TG staff. I'm sure he's a very charismatic person; a great guy to be around, and so on, but after the way I was treated by his shitty-assed fans and his lack of transparency during the issue, I want nothing further to do with the man. I can't even play those Atari games anymore without it reminding me of all this crap and making my blood boil over it. I just wanted ACTUAL records I could trust and compete against. I guess that was too much to demand.

...holy shit, you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a rat's ass!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This machine looks pretty cool...but from what I've gleaned in the last three pages on the link, it looks like the plastic shell isn't quite happening. As for me, I'm happy playing my NES on an old (happily working) CRT TV. But more power to him, he's put out great stuff in the past.