More Hidden Gems for Super Nintendo! Mega game collector John Hancock shows some of the awesome games he recommends for SNES fans to play and add to their collection.

GAMES SHOWN:

Ninja Warriors
Pirates of Dark Water
Doom Troopers
Uniracers
Pac-Attack
Pocky & Rocky 2
Musya
Super Turrican 2
Bomberman Party Pack
Lethal Enforcers
Curious: How many SNES games do you have in your collection? My collection is at 60 games cuz... well, I started late :)
  • Like 2

We'll i only got like 18 games for the system. Since i don't collect actively for the system. It's to expensive. The games i have are,i think, a nice selection of games that are available for the system:

Asterix

Calfornia Games II

Chuck Rock

Equinox

Fifa international soccer

Illusion of Time

J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Volume 1

Mystic Quest Legend

Star Fox / Star Wing

Super Bomberman

Super Mario All-Stars

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World

Super R-Type

Super Scope 6

The 7th Saga

Unirally

Zombies (Ate my Neightbor)

So let me know are there any games that show off what the SNES can do that i need to add to my collection?

I'm not familiar with the SNES version, but I just finished playing through the Genesis release of Doom Troopers, and it's a terrible game! At least, I found it to be an ugly, frustrating, cynical mess, full of cheap shots and forced hits, with major control issues and a nearly unplayable 2P mode.

It's especially bad on the highest difficulty (Brutal), where the game's cheapness becomes painfully apparent, but even lower difficulties are aggravating and fun-lacking. It's the kind of title that gave mid-'90s American-developed 16-bit platformers a bad name.

So let me know are there any games that show off what the SNES can do that i need to add to my collection?

I think every SNES collection needs to have Donkey Kong Country. That game is still a lot of fun to play even today. Also Final Fantasy III (or 6 in Japan) is one of the best in the series and has great graphics and an interesting steam punk setting. Finally, if you like shmups, check out: U.N. Squadron on the SNES. Super cool game and really fun

• Like 1

Pirates of Dark Water, thanks I've been trying to find out what that game was called for ages, I remember playing it years ago and never did get the name.

I only have 10 games in my Super Famicom collection, I got one of those because having a PAL SNES would suck. I really need to collect some more games for it.

How about On the Ball for the SuperNes for a future hidden gem video? Was a port of the Taito arcade game Cameltry and uses the Super Nintendo mouse and the system's Mode 7 graphics mode to good effect yet I've never seen anyone mention it at various forums over the years.

Edited by Atariboy

How about On the Ball for the SuperNes for a future hidden gem video? Was a port of the Taito arcade game Cameltry and uses the Super Nintendo mouse and the system's Mode 7 graphics mode to good effect yet I've never seen anyone mention it at various forums over the years.

I discovered the original arcade game on a compilation recently and was blown away by how much fun it is! Haven't played the SNES version...but I definitely will now! Does it require the mouse? Hopefully not...

I discovered the original arcade game on a compilation recently and was blown away by how much fun it is! Haven't played the SNES version...but I definitely will now! Does it require the mouse? Hopefully not...

It also supports the regular gamepad.

Did you play it on Taito Legends 2 or Taito Legends: Power Up? In addition to the original arcade version, Power Up on the PSP also has a nice remake that I've had fun with.

It's also the only compilation to include the arcade version of Space Dungeon, a game many 5200 owners have fond memories of due to a well received 5200 port that was the only home version until this arcade compilation rolled around.

Edited by Atariboy

I think every SNES collection needs to have Donkey Kong Country. That game is still a lot of fun to play even today. Also Final Fantasy III (or 6 in Japan) is one of the best in the series and has great graphics and an interesting steam punk setting. Finally, if you like shmups, check out: U.N. Squadron on the SNES. Super cool game and really fun

I wasn't a fan of UN Squadron.

I always liked Lagoon on the SNES. Its a live action RPG, with huge castles that you can very easily get lost in. No maps either, you had to find your own way around, and possibly draw out maps if it'll help you out.

A game that isn't really unknown but I absolutely love is Gradius III.

My favorite racing game (I have no idea how well known it is or not), is Top Gear. Music is amazing, gameplay is spot on, and I found it to be a lot more fun than F-Zero or Mario Kart. :)

I used to own over 100 SNES games, for both the Super Famicom and the SNES. However, now I only have about 16.

Edited by keilbaca
  • Like 1

May I make one suggestion though. If it costs a fortune I don't consider it a hidden gem. To me hidden gem means a game attainable but overlooked. Games that cost a fortune are just rare and of no interest to me since I can never attain them.

How about a video on budget gems, or an essential collection for cheap skates?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite racing game (I have no idea how well known it is or not), is Top Gear. Music is amazing, gameplay is spot on, and I found it to be a lot more fun than F-Zero or Mario Kart. :)

Great game, one of my favorites on any console, and my favorite 16 bit racer. I even have the soundtrack for it on several of my modern consoles that support custom soundtracks. It isn't a hidden gem where the SuperNes racing game fan is concerned but probably qualifies for everyone else.

About the only complaint I have is that your primary competitor during single player doesn't ever use his nitros. It's the car shown on the bottom half of the screen (It's permanently splitscreen like Super Mario Kart which will turn someone off initially but is quickly forgotten) and he can put up a good fight at times so that oversight is unfortunate.

It also saw a Majesco rerelease in the late 1990's so it should still be a very cheap purchase these days.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't know if I would count Pac-Attack as a "hidden" gem for the SNES. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, especially if you're a fan of Tetris-ish puzzle games, but it was also released for the Genesis and has since appeared on a number of Namco compilations.

I have roughly 50 SNES games, and I think my favorite "hidden" gem is Road Riot 4WD. In the arcades, 4WD was an awesome and very funny off-road(-ish) racing game, where the racers get to shoot at each other while trying to dodge obstacles -- and people -- on the side of the road. Nothing gory, just cartoonish slapstick, not entirely unlike the Midtown Madness series. The game inevitably lost a bit of luster in the translation from arcade to SNES, but the SNES version is still pretty decent, and in fact is the only home version of 4WD ever released. That's especially ironic considering the original 4WD was put out by Atari Games. Because of the problems between Nintendo and Atari subsidiary Tengen, very few Atari games made it to the SNES, and yet this exclusive was one of them.

I know and I don't. :)

It's a fine conversion though and one of the best on the Lynx. But I bet the Super Nintendo with the right programmers could've done a nearly perfect port of it. I'll never understand how this was overlooked on the Midway Arcade Treasures line. Such a fine game and it runs on the Roadblasters hardware that they emulated for MAT1.

Edited by Atariboy