IGNORED

Homebrew Games and Limited Quantity

65Gamerguy

I will make one request/comment that is pure opinion. I am less in favor of MSX ports to CV unless they are super significant. Like I'd love to see Metal Gear or Wizardry, but most of the rest I buy more out of knee jerk reaction than real interest in MSX. I know MSX ports can be popular, but I actually prefer unique titles and arcade ports to MSX code ports. Those MSX games in some way dilute the quality of releases for CV somewhat.

The MSX and SG-1000 ports are definitely neat considering that they allow more people to play those particular games, but I find myself less and less interested in them since I have an MSX and several ways of playing SG-1000 games. Edited by ApolloBoy

On a more general note, ReneG7400 is making a Videopac/O² multicart. I think he found one of the best solutions to be sure to sell all of his carts :

He take the names of people interested in having the carts. When this number reach a certain number (he didn't say which one) he ask every people if they are still interested. If the number of interested people is still high enough, well he ask for payment, and then, he build the carts.

It could be a way to be sure to sell homebrews; something maybe more in the Kickstater way, where you give money, and if the project end, you're refunded; if it reach the good number, you have he game.

Or just working on trust, or knowing which ratio to apply when aseking people (like, if you ask how many people are interested by this game, you get 300 people asking for one; with experience, you know that the number of people who will really pay is clsoer to 250, or 200, etc...)

there is lot of production on Atari 2600 (mainly thanks to bbAtari Basic) , but in this bunch of productions only few really deserve a cartridge release. In addition lot of these productions have only Cart , not CIB. Only few Atari 2600 Homebrew have the level in term of quality of best games for the console. (it does not mean they arenot fun!) . But not all are as good than Boulder Dash for instance or a to not take an home rew, Jungle Hunt. In fact very good productions are a little bit lost in the mass.

On Colecovision we have not (yet) that mass effect. May be it will come with BasicVision. But for now it is not the case. Personnaly i also regret all that MSX and SG1000 port we have ... but some seem to love them .

Well I almost always agree with you . But in this case to say only a few atari brews deserve a cart release is way off (imo) But everyone has their own taste I guess . I guess I dont understand how a game like this upcoming Gamester81 game is getting the box release let alone a cart release . It seems like more of limited collectors item than people sitting down to actually play it more than once or twice . But that is my opinion and everyone has their own .

I will make one request/comment that is pure opinion. I am less in favor of MSX ports to CV unless they are super significant. Like I'd love to see Metal Gear or Wizardry, but most of the rest I buy more out of knee jerk reaction than real interest in MSX. I know MSX ports can be popular, but I actually prefer unique titles and arcade ports to MSX code ports. Those MSX games in some way dilute the quality of releases for CV somewhat.

Same here!I would like to see more of arcade games especially those that never got ported to any console as Death Race,Circus,Rip Cord,Sheriff,Space Firebird,Radar Scope,Zoo Keeper,Phoenix,Rally-X,Bosconian,Moon Patrol,Mr.Do! Wild Ride,Super Pac-Man/Jr.Pac-Man/Pac & Pal,etc

Edited by VGC1612
  • Like 1

I think the whole issue of games being released in rom image format is slowly coming to an end in the CV Community, especially in the last 6 months or so. If you follow this forum, you will already know that most of Opcode's releases have been released in rom format, PixxelBoy has released a number of his games, CollectorVision has released about eight rom of the games they have published and NewColeco makes all his games available in rom format. For some titles, the wait for a rom release will be significantly longer especially if there might be plans for a re-release in CIB form or loose cart. Just look at "The CAT Scheduled Oil Sampling Game" by Nuvatek... we acquired the one and only cart known to exist, I dumped it, immediately CollectorVision went to work putting together the CIB release and when the run of CIBs was sold, the rom image was made available without delay. This is not to say that this is the new norm, but it a far cry from how slowly things were done in the past.

Maybe if Youki ever develops a follow-up to Ghosts'N Zombies, he would consider a rom release of the original game in conjunction with the CIB release of the new game. Being an owner of a GnZ CIB, I personally don't mind the game being released in rom format or even another CIB or loose cart run being made as long as the cart label and box are different.

ED: Got a better idea! If a GnZ 2 is ever developed, Youki could use a MegaCart PCB and therefore put both versions onto one cart. This will not go against his belief of staying within the standard 32K cart size limit. :P

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 3

there is lot of production on Atari 2600 (mainly thanks to bbAtari Basic) , but in this bunch of productions only few really deserve a cartridge release. In addition lot of these productions have only Cart , not CIB. Only few Atari 2600 Homebrew have the level in term of quality of best games for the console. (it does not mean they arenot fun!) . But not all are as good than Boulder Dash for instance or a to not take an home rew, Jungle Hunt. In fact very good productions are a little bit lost in the mass.

On Colecovision we have not (yet) that mass effect. May be it will come with BasicVision. But for now it is not the case. Personnaly i also regret all that MSX and SG1000 port we have ... but some seem to love them .

It's when a select few people decide what is "deserving" that a scene stagnates. I'm glad there is a range of styles and experience levels in bB productions.

• Like 1

Same here!I would like to see more of arcade games especially those that never got ported to any console as Death Race,Circus,Rip Cord,Sheriff,Space Firebird,Radar Scope,Zoo Keeper,Phoenix,Rally-X,Bosconian,Moon Patrol,Mr.Do! Wild Ride,Super Pac-Man/Jr.Pac-Man/Pac & Pal,etc

Rip Cord is on the way ;)

Mr Do's Wild Ride, eh?

post-11933-0-21859500-1380665279_thumb.png

• Like 5

Well I almost always agree with you . But in this case to say only a few atari brews deserve a cart release is way off (imo) But everyone has their own taste I guess . I guess I dont understand how a game like this upcoming Gamester81 game is getting the box release let alone a cart release . It seems like more of limited collectors item than people sitting down to actually play it more than once or twice . But that is my opinion and everyone has their own .

But "Few" , i mean "not all". Sorry for my English. It is not my native language. Concerning Gamester81 the game, you could be surprised. :)

for me "deserving" a CIB release, does not mean "i like the game" or "not". It is a question of "polishing", "Technical level" and overall quality compared to commercial game already existing on the target console. But ok , it could be considered as subjective. But less than "i like" or "not". For instance, i never really liked the gameplay of Mario Bros. ,but i won't say that the Colecovision version would not deserve a release! But for instance ,for Earth Defend i have doubt. (but i didn't try it so... )

:)

ED: Got a better idea! If a GnZ 2 is ever developed, Youki could use a MegaCart PCB and therefore put both versions onto one cart. This will not go against his belief of staying within the standard 32K cart size limit. :P

That is not possible i guess. Not without rewritting completly GNZ 1 to fit the megarom constraint. But i will do a GNZ 2 or a GNZ "enhanced remake"... because now with my experience with the CV , i can do lot of better. ... the first GNZ was really my "Hello word" program on the CV...the very first program i ever did on that machine, so far far from perfect. :)

• Like 3