IGNORED

Rear Projection TV set users?

Yurkie

I was thinking it would be pretty cool to get a large old 4:3 aspect ratio projection TV for classic gaming. If you have one would you leave comments on whether light guns work on it, size,brand and model numbers please. Also I heard that they are fairly easy to repair, so if you have repaired yours and have links to parts that would be great too.

Sold my last rear projection HDTV a few years ago. Was one of the better projection units I have ever seen, BUT... still had *that* projection look. Ie: washed out picture, red, green and blue guns not totally in alignment (despite making all of the necessary adjustments) and ambient light reflection big time.

Screw rear projection TV's. Best go with a 36" CRT if you want a biggun'. MUCH superior pic, plus that way you know for sure that it'll work with olden light guns.

• Like 2

I agree. Rear projection sets sucked, to be honest. Colors looked like crap, and blur city!

Heck, if you didn't mind the trek to columbus, I'd give you a flat screen 20" CRT I have. I don't need it anymore, and we're going to be moving in the next few weeks, and I'd rather not pack it.

It wouldn't happen to be an Emerson would it? I have my NES hooked up to my 20" flat Emerson and love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Sony rear projection in college. Audio went out on it (built in bottom speakers). Sony was going to charge $300+ so I Frankenstein-end my own speaker rig up to the stereo out & ran it that way for 2 years LOL. Beer money was more important & I had parts laying around, why not.

I agree with Save2600, colors always seemed slightly washed out. Even when I ran HD DVDs to it via component.

• Like 1

I have a mitsubishi ws65315 got in 2005 and still works. Colors are ok but the picture is kinda stretched and and no options except standard and zoom. We got it fixed in 06 or 7 after it broke cuz the dvi port is not ment for computer signals and fried the tv. It was under warantee and was fixed for free. Some control board or something had to be replaced. Still works today. Its missing hdmi even though its hd ready. But all my old games works on it so not bad. Except the gun stuff like duck hunt never works. It plays but doesn't register hits. I've tried brightness and contrast nothing works. It is 480i not p so it should work but doesn't work. I swear I got as hit 1 time. Not sure how. But I was sleepy that day and probably hallusinatig. The wii however looks awesome if I load super mario brothers 1 from virtual console. Super clean and crisp. That's how it should of been from the beginning.

I used a Hitachi 51" HD rear projection, and it was very impressive. I wouldn't recommend getting a rear projection anymore though, because the picture eventually warps and stretches slowly over time, and the 3 guns will eventually go out in them and no it is not cheap to fix these. I'm not sure where you get that idea.

CRT rear projections actually give the best color range of any TVs, and have natural deep blacks, as opposed to newer LCD and Plasma which have to create black as a color. A RP will also be in a cabinet, which means the built-in audio is usually pretty good, with decent bass levels if you want to tune it that way, but the cabinet makes the entire unit heavy.

I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages here. Getting a Sony Wega or the Toshiba equal to that seems the best way to go especially if you want to play light gun games, then that's about your only option anyway, as there isn't any RP tv I know of that works with light guns. Personally, I'm just using my Vizio HD set, and using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NS0UUQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=atariage&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003NS0UUQ&linkCode=as2

to upconvert the video, and my games look better than they ever did on an old CRT. So, if you ask me, I'd say you're wasting your time unless light gun games are a must have for you. I just learned to give those up.