IGNORED

something new... GTIABlast! 5200 WIP for Ultimate SD cart

playsoft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I love my Atarimax, but this deserves a cart. Is that even a consideration?

I would buy this for Atari Computer. However I would want the _original_ music.

I think it is the best thing to come out for the Atari Computer and the 5200 in a long time (probably since that latest Tempest).

AtariAge should sell it.

Playsoft you should Private Message or write to Al here at AtariAge.

• Like 1

Amazing game! How is this using the Atarimax? Is it using it as a RAM expansion to the 5200, or is it increasing the ROM size that the 5200 normally could use?

Thanks! It makes use of two features of the Atarimax cart.

It uses bank switching to make more ROM space available. It uses a 8K bank switching mode where 64 banks are available (the game uses about half of those). Most 5200 games are 16K or 32K non-bank switched ROMs, I think there are only a few bank switched games.

The other feature it uses can be seen if you watch the cart just before a level starts - when the led flashes that is it reading the data for that level from the SD card into the cart memory.

• Like 1

To run standalone on the 5200 it would need a 1MB bank switching cart. As far as I know the largest scheme so far on the 5200 is 512K on the cart developed for M.U.L.E. (which would have been sufficient before the horizontal levels were added). Bank switching is a feature of the cart so I don't think there is any reason why it couldn't be done, but I don't do hardware myself and for someone else to develop it for just this one game is not worthwhile. Also it's a hobby and it's one thing to make something freely available and another to sell it. I'd rather keep things simple and uncommercial.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing AtariBlast on a newly UAV svid modded Atari 5200 (thanks ITC!) on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• Rob 'n' Banks (2022 Retail | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Design and Programming) / Konstantinos Giamalidis @TIX (Character and Object Graphics) / Bobby Clark @Synthpopalooza (Sound Effects and Music) / Hrair Abdalian @Henry Lee (Cover Art) / Tony Morse (Manual Layout)
  • Intellidiscs (2021 Retail | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Programming) / Bobby Clark @Synthpopalooza (Sound and Music) / G. Tony Morse (Manual Layout) / Vladimir Zuñiga @vhzc (New Identifier Design) / Lou Graziani (Cover Art) / John Calcano @Atariboy2600 (Additional Artwork)
  • Ratcatcher (2016 | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Programmed) / Lou Graziani (Additional Artwork)
  • AtariBlast (2016 | 5200) by Paul Lay @playsoft (Code) / Harvey A. Kong Tin @kiwilove (Graphics) / Michał Szpilowski @miker (Flimbo's Quest Music)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:
  • Intellidiscs (2021 Retail | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Programming) / Bobby Clark @Synthpopalooza (Sound and Music) / Konstantinos Giamalidis @TIX (Graphics) / G. Tony Morse (Manual Layout) / Vladimir Zuñiga @vhzc (New Identifier Design) / Lou Graziani

Hey James,

I don't have any involvement with Intellidiscs, please update !

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing AtariBlast on a newly UAV svid modded Atari 5200 (thanks ITC!) on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• Rob 'n' Banks (2022 Retail | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Design and Programming) / Konstantinos Giamalidis @TIX (Character and Object Graphics) / Bobby Clark @Synthpopalooza (Sound Effects and Music) / Hrair Abdalian @Henry Lee (Cover Art) / Tony Morse (Manual Layout)
  • Intellidiscs (2021 Retail | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Programming) / Bobby Clark @Synthpopalooza (Sound and Music) / G. Tony Morse (Manual Layout) / Vladimir Zuñiga @vhzc (New Identifier Design) / Lou Graziani (Cover Art) / John Calcano @Atariboy2600 (Additional Artwork)
  • Ratcatcher (2016 | 5200) by Phaser Cat Games / Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer (Programmed) / Lou Graziani (Additional Artwork)
  • AtariBlast (2016 | 5200) by Paul Lay @playsoft (Code) / Harvey A. Kong Tin @kiwilove (Graphics) / Michał Szpilowski @miker (Flimbo's Quest Music)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

Thanks for playing the game - it was surprising to see it crash! I dug the 5200 out of hibernation this morning, downloaded the updated music build and played it through to the Fractalus Mothership level without any issues. I played a second game and made it further to the Cytron level.

The crash has not been reported here before, but I'm guessing the game might not be played much. Out of interest, has anyone else had this crash? Or made it through to any of the later levels - if you've played the Zaxxon, Fractalus, Scramble, Xevious, Spaceships, Cytron, Olde Zealand, Asteroids, Jet planes, Bounty Bob, Drol or Circuit board levels then you made it past the Xavier level where ZPH crashes.

I doubt I could do much about it as it doesn't crash on my system, I only have one 5200 and one Atarimax Ultimate SD (and it can't be tested via emulation). Plus the code must be 8 years old, so a bit of a distant memory now.

Out of all the times iv'e played it, I have not had it crash. Iv'e always played on 4port. but now i'm playing it on 2port just to see if any thing happens or not. I dont know what zero page hombrew used.

28 minutes ago, RB5200 said:

Out of all the times iv'e played it, I have not had it crash. Iv'e always played on 4port. but now i'm playing it on 2port just to see if any thing happens or not. I dont know what zero page hombrew used.

Their new UAV upgraded 5200 is a 4 port model. That was on purpose so they could use it for multiplayer games where more than 2 people are supported that required a 4 port version of the console.