playsoft

something new... GTIABlast! 5200 WIP for Ultimate SD cart

I am super impressed with your use of the hardware in this game! Great music, fantastic artwork—taking several classic shooters and bringing them into the modern "throwback" superstyley reimagined remix fantasy flash forward—and making it look, feel, and play FUN!

• Like 1

Not sure what happened. I put the Ultimate SD cart in my 5200 but every time I tried to start this game, some Sega Genesis game kept coming up on screen.

Just kidding. This game is amazing!

Thank you.

40,290 my high score so far.

• Like 2

Not sure what happened. I put the Ultimate SD cart in my 5200 but every time I tried to start this game, some Sega Genesis game kept coming up on screen.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I received a kind donation of some alternative music which is included in this version.

Awesome! We are recording tonight to talk about this game, so cool!

• Like 1

:shock: Yow! This is fantastic! I love all of the colors and the way they change! It's really a brain melter! I played all the way through normal mode and a bit into hard mode. Lots of fun!

• Like 1

:shock: Yow! This is fantastic! I love all of the colors and the way they change! It's really a brain melter! I played all the way through normal mode and a bit into hard mode. Lots of fun!

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Amazing game! How is this using the Atarimax? Is it using it as a RAM expansion to the 5200, or is it increasing the ROM size that the 5200 normally could use?

• Like 1

I love my Atarimax, but this deserves a cart. Is that even a consideration?

I would buy this for Atari Computer. However I would want the _original_ music.

I think it is the best thing to come out for the Atari Computer and the 5200 in a long time (probably since that latest Tempest).

AtariAge should sell it.

Playsoft you should Private Message or write to Al here at AtariAge.

• Like 1

Amazing game! How is this using the Atarimax? Is it using it as a RAM expansion to the 5200, or is it increasing the ROM size that the 5200 normally could use?

Thanks! It makes use of two features of the Atarimax cart.

It uses bank switching to make more ROM space available. It uses a 8K bank switching mode where 64 banks are available (the game uses about half of those). Most 5200 games are 16K or 32K non-bank switched ROMs, I think there are only a few bank switched games.

The other feature it uses can be seen if you watch the cart just before a level starts - when the led flashes that is it reading the data for that level from the SD card into the cart memory.

To run standalone on the 5200 it would need a 1MB bank switching cart. As far as I know the largest scheme so far on the 5200 is 512K on the cart developed for M.U.L.E. (which would have been sufficient before the horizontal levels were added). Bank switching is a feature of the cart so I don't think there is any reason why it couldn't be done, but I don't do hardware myself and for someone else to develop it for just this one game is not worthwhile. Also it's a hobby and it's one thing to make something freely available and another to sell it. I'd rather keep things simple and uncommercial.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the nice comments and interest in this game - they are truly appreciated.

There was a lot of time and effort put into this project - and it's nice to know it is recognised and appreciated for being a bit different.

Harvey

• Like 4

Amazing game! Thanks for making it. Anyone with an Atarimax needs to download this game. Anyone without an Atarimax, now has an excuse to get one and add brand new content.:)