IGNORED

Short Article on Atari 2600 Scammers

Stan

Just a short article I wrote as part of a series. I figured I'd float some useful knowledge out there, in particular so people stop buying those damn double-ender TCM/Halloween carts for hundreds. It's just not right. Also talk about the Creepshow guy in there. If you have any scams you'd like to throw my way, please do, I'd be more than happy to publicly destroy someone's reputation for being an idiot.

http://metalarcade.net/2013/09/retro-atari-scammers-of-the-modern-era/

• Like 4

If people actually did some research before buying a game/item, we would likely see a lot less of these type of sellers. Unfortunately, suckers are born every minute so everyone else has to sift through the sh!t to find the gold.

wasn't there a guy making fake 5200 carts...and horribly made too?

• Like 1

If people actually did some research before buying a game/item, we would likely see a lot less of these type of sellers. Unfortunately, suckers are born every minute so everyone else has to sift through the sh!t to find the gold.

wasn't there a guy making fake 5200 carts...and horribly made too?

post-29022-0-90015300-1380592100_thumb.png

• Like 6

Thanks guys, Todd already messaged the site and the other guy is apparently RAGING hahaha. He's claiming it's slander and something about legality, which is sad because he violates Facebook policy since 90% of his Creepshow posts are images taken from other sources without permission. Plus, since it's set to public, it's officially legal to use his stuff via Facebook's privacy policies, section 2, number 4. Duh.

• Like 5

Great article. Fascinating read. I never knew about the Todd Rogers scandal. I met him at the E for All Expo in 2008. He seemed like a nice guy.

I'm also convinced the Creepshow scammer is more than just a crook or a hoaxer, I'm certain now that he's literally insane.

I also don't know why anyone would buy a Hozer cart. When you buy stuff from Atari Age it's such good quality that it feels like the real thing, like something you would actually buy in a store in the 1980's.

• Like 1

90% of the article evolves about that Creepshow scam. All evidence is explained and presented in detail. So far so good.

Someone like Todd should not be mixed up with this. Unless you really have evidence (which Barnstorming is not) that Todd is a liar. But then you should post it there with at least the time for details you invested in the other, compared to Todd's potential downfall rather irrelevant case.

In general the article is good, but calling Todd a scammer based on no real evidence (AFAIK) is highly unjustified and such a cheap shot IMO disqualifies the whole article.

• Like 3

Someone like Todd should not be mixed up with this. Unless you really have evidence (which Barnstorming is not) that Todd is a liar. But then you should post it there with at least the time for details you invested in the other, compared to Todd's potential downfall rather irrelevant case.

True.

More details for that part would have been nice.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

My god, there are so many things wrong with that 'prototype' that I don't even know where to begin. Do people really think that no one will ever look into things like this? This isn't even a good fake, it looks like something that was thrown together 5 min before a show. I also like how his 'screenshot' is from the 8-bit pinball hack, and his 'gameplay footage' is a completely different looking thing altogether (not to mention completely impossible on a 2600). The guy just needs to give it up now. Maybe he was scammed or something, or maybe he really believes it, who knows? Bottom line though is this thing is a fake (and a laughable one at that).

Oh for the days of decent fakes like the 'Airworld prototype'. At least those made us wonder for a few moments...

• Like 1

90% of the article evolves about that Creepshow scam. All evidence is explained and presented in detail. So far so good.

In general the article is good, but calling Todd a scammer based on no real evidence (AFAIK) is highly unjustified and such a cheap shot IMO disqualifies the whole article.

There's actually a link the editor inserted that takes the viewer to this forum and talk about his scores, if you clicked on it. How is Barnstorming not proof? His score was literally impossible with the game stripped of obstacles.

Oh, well, I figured the TCM business was pretty well-known to most people, the Creepshow thing just came up while I was writing it. There was a bit more to explain with it because of the back and forth since I directly talked to the guy, but fair enough. I'd say more like 58% of the article was about it.

How is Barnstorming not proof? His score was literally impossible with the game stripped of obstacles.

Did you read this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217092-that-guy-who-lied-about-high-scores/?p=2837737

What I mean is, he seems to be saying in his post that he got 32.5 at a live show and, rightly, believed it to be legitimate. Only after it was proven the score is impossible did he think that, perhaps, it was a different, earlier version of the game. Yes, the score should not count, but he wouldn't have known that at the time.

• Like 2

Yes, it's linked to in the article, unless the editor linked the wrong one. Wait a minute, you know I started that thread, right? ................

There's no guarantee that the creator of a thread reads every post. You asked a question and that post is one possible answer.

• Like 1

So where is this "prototype"? His explanation would hinge on proving that said prototype with the time difference had existed at all.

Sounds a bit too much like "Your honor, the man in the picture looks like me, but take my word for it...it must be somebody else!"