IGNORED

Hover Bovver Boxes & Overlays

I wish you the best of luck in selling your boxes and overlays (and I honestly do mean that), and I'm glad to see that we have such a tight knit community here that they are willing to buy these for their collections.

But I can't help but wonder...am I the only one thinking it might have been wise to hold off on ordering this stuff until AFTER you had the finished game in hand? :ponder:

That could have been a SERIOUS money loss.

• Like 2

Releasing a new game is like cooking. You make sure that your meat starts cooking before you do the veggies, and try and time everything to be ready at the same time.

I have to print 3 boxes at once. I can't print one box. It is just the reality of the situation. So, some titles have to be printed before the games are in hand.

When Catsfolly tells me that Paddle Party is going to be ready at the end of October, I have to believe that he isn't BSing me. Even though Kroz won't be finished at the end of October, you have to print it, because I am not going to wait for 3 titles at once to be 'in hand' before printing.

So, print runs are done in 3s. In the case with HB, Match 5 and DK Arcade were ready when printing......HB was SUPPOSED to be ready at the same time...

How does the Meatloaf song go? Two out of three ain't bad?

If I had not printed the box then, Match 5 would not have come out.....DK Arcade wouldn't have come out CIB all awaiting a game that here in October finally gets the plug pulled on it.

• Like 2

How many Intellivision games do you have? Somehow, I don't think you would have been buying it even if it came out.

Plenty. And yes, I would have bought it. At least two copies.

I can "get over it" but I can also see that the truth hurts (to quote an old saying). I stand firmly behind my statement that both parties acted like children, and should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Eric7100

I can "get over it" but I can also see that the truth hurts (to quote an old saying). I stand firmly behind my statement that both parties acted like children, and should be ashamed of themselves.

Okay, now that you've had your say on the subject (yet again!), would you please drop it? Nobody wants to hear it again. Let's keep this thread as positive as possible.

I'm very excited by the work that Willy is doing in printing new boxes that are made in the exact same style as the originals. I'm sure it wasn't easy to have an accurate die made, or to find a printer who does good work and is willing to work with smaller quantities. Box printing was something I didn't want to undertake on my own for my Aquarius releases, because I wanted to focus first and foremost on the games themselves, but I've come to appreciate how a nice box can add a level of professional "finish" to a homebrew release. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to include my own boxes with the current batch, and I can't wait to see them in person!

• Like 6

What I would do if I was William:

Forget about the money that I lost, and just release the game anyway in its current form, as coded by Mark. No matter how bad or incomplete I may think the game is. Maybe give it away along with the box, asking for donations instead of purchases. If I'm out $2000, then this would be my contribution to the Intellivision community.

Hire a new programmer to recode the game from scratch. If I'm out the money, so what? The world will not end. Even if I have to get new boxes printed.

Hand over the boxes, license, and all rights to the game to Mark. I wouldn't even ask for a dime. So what if I'm out the money? That's what a certain historical figure would do. (I won't say any names to avoid having a religious discussion.)

I would do ANY of these options long before I even thought of doing what William has done (just selling the boxes).

• Like 2

What I would do if I was William:

Forget about the money that I lost, and just release the game anyway in its current form, as coded by Mark. No matter how bad or incomplete I may think the game is. Maybe give it away along with the box, asking for donations instead of purchases. If I'm out $2000, then this would be my contribution to the Intellivision community.

Hire a new programmer to recode the game from scratch. If I'm out the money, so what? The world will not end. Even if I have to get new boxes printed.

Hand over the boxes, license, and all rights to the game to Mark. I wouldn't even ask for a dime. So what if I'm out the money? That's what a certain historical figure would do. (I won't say any names to avoid having a religious discussion.)

I would do ANY of these options long before I even thought of doing what William has done (just selling the boxes).

Wow you're awesome. But you're NOT William so I guess you and everyone else will just have to live with his decision even if you refuse to respect it.

Remember that Willy and Classic Game Publishers don't owe any of us anything. We aren't obligated to buy the games they produce, and they aren't obligated to produce the games we want. That's the way things should work in a free marketplace. If you feel so strongly about Hover Bovver on the Intellivision, why not put your money where your mouth is and write your own version? Don't bother protesting that "you're not a programmer" or some such: it isn't that hard to learn, and if you aren't even willing to put in the effort to try, then you have nothing to contribute to the process and aren't in any position to be telling programmers and publishers what they should or shouldn't do.

• Like 1

Approximately 70 sets are left.

I have to subtract a couple of PayPal purchases from the total on www.classicgamepublishers.com

I have to paint my kitchen walls this week, and I am thinking that I know an EXCELLENT method for keeping paint off of th sub floor.....yup....you guessed it.....HOVER BOVVER BOXES!!!

:-)

• Like 2

I counted...72 sets still to go.....website update made (taking into account PayPal purchases.

Email gamesforyourintellivision@hotmail.com if interested in using PayPal to obtain a Hover Bovver Box set which includes overlays.

Destruction is beginning with my painting tonight.....will make excellent paint catchers!

I'll post some pics later.

Pretty nice that you destroy the boxes, especially since I mentioned that I would take a single set, because I dont need two. Why dont you put them into orders of upcoming Elektronite games as freebies? As a day one buyer of all your games I would be pleased by that.

But its okay, hopefully you have fun using the boxes as a floor protector :thumbsup: (and dont worry, I get the irony)

Edit: And I hope you wont post any pics of destroyed boxes, because I would hate to see such a disrepectful behaviour in this board.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 3

Pretty nice that you destroy the boxes, especially since I mentioned that I would take a single set, because I dont need two. Why dont you put them into orders of upcoming Elektronite games as freebies? As a day one buyer of all your games I would be pleased by that.

But its okay, hopefully you have fun using the boxes as a floor protector :thumbsup: (and dont worry, I get the irony)

Edit: And I hope you wont post any pics of destroyed boxes, because I would hate to see such a disrepectful behaviour in this board.

I think he is trying to recoup some of the couple thousand dollars he lost on the game Ignorama.....he's trying to make the boxes more of a collectors item thus making it more worthwile to us collectors to want to buy them and destroying the rest so we KNOW they are limited......

You miss the point of destruction.

Not only does it make me feel good, saying goodbye to this fiasco, it proves that the people who are paying good money, for this souvenir, that they indeed have 1 set of 100 and it is an exceedingly rare item.

The unassembled box is the 'bonus'. If you only want one assembled box, I will sell you one for $40.

I'd love to give them away, but I am not going to. Too much money involved.

I'm not giving the boxes away because It disrespects the people who are buying the sets.

Posting pictures of destroyed boxes shows they are rare indeed. (which they are).

40$ for ONE box? :lolblue:

The unassembled box is not a bonus, its just selling two for a fair amount, nothing else. But I wonder, because first you said if there is stock left you consider start selling them separately and add them to orders like Paddle Party. Just a few days later this statement is totally forgotten and you make pressure to everyone who consider to buy a box with the announcement that you want to destroy them tonight.

I would buy ONE box and overlays for 20$, which is half of the price for two boxes. But seriously, I wont pay 40$ for two boxes + shipping them seperately to Germany, which costs again 20$.

Edit:

Posting pictures of destroyed boxes shows they are rare indeed. (which they are).

I dont think that its neccessary. And its not really a proof, because no one knows how many boxes were printed. The only source for the number is your word and now the question: If someone trusts your word that you have printed 200 boxes, why should he not trust you that you destroyed them. So posting this pictures is really showing the middle finger to everyone who is not willing (or able) to buy two boxes and waits to get one.

Edited by Ignorama