IGNORED

Space Raid (2600)

nanochess

Also Rainbow Vision and Suntek used this title:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-space-raid_12335.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-space-raid_12818.html

Both official releases.

Keep up the good work!

This could very well become the Zaxxon we all wanted for the VCS.

8)

Ouch! I only did a fast check of Atariage database.

How about Space Raid X? Something that resembles to Zaxxon. Or 3D.

I would not leave the name as it is now. Else many people will miss the game, just because they will confuse it with an existing one.

Well, still not sure about changing name (I could go for Space Raid X or well, Zpace Raid,) but I've came up before with these names (any opinions and suggestions are welcome):

• Watson
  • Space Eagle (used)
  • Space Hawk (used)
  • White Eagle

Some that I've come up just now:

• Space Mania
  • Space Maniacs
  • Moon Raid
  • Astro Raid
  • Zpace Raid
  • Zpaz Raid

The following have been suggested.

• Zonnax (suggested by Rom Hunter)

I've taken note of all enhancement suggested.

BTW, an open question to everyone playing the game, if you could only fit only one or two enhancements more, what it would be?

LOL. Or maybe Xonnox :lol:

Just in case it hasn't been brought up before: Both the PAL and NTSC versions have an unstable scanline count. You can see this in Stella by pressing Alt+l or Cmd+l. On a TV this could cause a rolling picture.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I suppose I should download Stella :)

What about: Zax Zone

+1

Zax Zone is perfect.

8)

Wow guys! five votes for this name. I'm afraid is very direct :) I don't know, I don't want to make angry some big company... Besides I'm only a homebrew developer.

I've checked carefully Atarimania database and it looks like all available Space Raid are bootlegs of Megamania, so I think the name is available. And truth to be say, I like Space Raid.

I thought of a good one. Zerox. ;)

Actually, I like the name Space Raid.

Zerox sounds like fighting the evil photocopiers from hell :dunce:

Oh,oh,oh! Now you've really inspired me. The spaceship flies at an angle, right? If my character name was used then the game could be called Angle Saxon! (See what I did there?)

A more real name would be Angle Saxton :)

Well, guys. I've had some progress with development :)

So far I've been debugging and optimizing the code and I've reclaimed more than 180 bytes, so I've now 248 bytes available for enhancements. The satellite and big robot now have two-frames explosion and elements in fortress appear slightly faster.

Also the suggestion of Joe for testing with Stella helped me to correct wrong line count for both NTSC and PAL so it now should work fine in real hardware, also the debugger helped me to found a very strange bug. It took me a while to get used to commands but great emulator!

Besides my list of enhancements there are two bugs actually: player bullet looks a little offset and it looks like bullet doesn't touch missiles launching from silos.

See ya!

nanochess_space_raid_ntsc.bin

nanochess_space_raid_pal.bin

Edited by nanochess

Zach's Son? No. No.

The game is looking great so far. And while I do believe that there are already way too many Space Something games in the 2600 library (and like the idea of including as many Zs and Xs as possible without resorting to spelling Space Zpace) I don't really care what it's called as as it turns out as awesome as I think it's going to.

I like the new name. With regards to the '3D' in the title, it's not like Atari game makers in the past were averse to hyperbole! Go with whatever makes you happy bloke. I don't really care what the game's called as long as it plays well.

PS: Just as a heads up I was going to test the PAL build on real hardware but the telly I've got over here (I'm working in China jut now) just died on me! Hopefully, I should have a 'new' one in the next few days if that's not too late for you. :)