IGNORED

Space Raid (2600)

nanochess

Thanks a lot, Kiwi! :) :thumbsup:

By the way, I'm still using daily half an hour for this WIP, I've been gaining slowly extra bytes and improving things. So far I've a small list of enhancements:

* Another "eye candy" for fortress wall.

* In space there is sound when planes shot.

* In space the three planes now all shot alternately.

* Silo shows destructive fire when missile launchs.

I think I could go for the 8K :) for the other nine things in my TODO list, including previous suggestions, mostly visuals :D

If anyone thinks there is something that really should be included in this game, still is time to post your suggestion! ;)

So far I want to give thanks to everyone here that has tested and also posted support and suggestions, as you know, most of them have become reality inside the game and made it better. :thumbsup:

• Like 7

I think I could go for the 8K :) for the other nine things in my TODO list, including previous suggestions, mostly visuals :D

If anyone thinks there is something that really should be included in this game, still is time to post your suggestion! ;)

If you are going for 8K, you could use a 48-pixel sprite for the boss. The Spectrum Zaxxon could provide a good start for the graphics.

post-27536-0-55435800-1381435503.png

• Like 1

I would just like to see more detail when you are flying above the asteroid/fortress. Doesn't matter what. Some markings, or structure, something. And it doesn't need to be a lot either.

Also by now I don't think there should be a name change, I've come to know this as Space Raid.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Just I've finished a new version of Space Raid :), it includes these features:

o In space there is sound when planes shot.

o In space the planes now shot alternately.

o Silo fills with destructive fire when missile launchs.

o Planets in space

o Space background looks more like stars.

o Alien lurking in fortress.

o Cannons shoot to right also.

o Tracking missile "freezes" scrolling.

o Another "eye candy" for fortress wall.

o Another "eye candy" for fortress floor.

o Some bugs solved.

I don't think anything else will fit in 4K as I've compressed the code a lot, but fortunately still I've around 29 bytes free :D

It's not sure if I'll go for an 8K version, because I need to make some drawings and experiments, and this can take a lot of time.

BTW, I've wrote a small article about development in my website http://nanochess.org/space_raid.html ;)

Enjoy it and happy weekend!

nanochess_space_raid.zip

• Like 2

This version is excellent! :thumbsup: I will provide a new video of it in action soon, once I nail that boss.

I was thinking maybe the planet surface would be in different color depending on what level you're on. I got further, the planet indeed changed color :thumbsup: .Al going to be so busy making all these wonderful games on carts for Christmas. ;)

I will try the game on the real console with harmony on Thursday.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

I liked the less dots in space, not the new more dots in space.

I like that they change colors.

I like everything else!

I've tried hard to make a stars background, instead of something looking like a fortress in black. Let us do a little poll ;)

People liking the previous space background please press the "like" button in iesposta post. (download previous version of Space Raid and/or see video in post #75)

People liking the new space background please press the "like" button in this post.

• Like 1

I don't like the planets in the beginning. They look out of place and are the same size as the "jets". Real nice game. Looks like a real Atari game that could have been released back in the day. Also, I can't figure out what the targeting is for?

- Chris

Edited by CrazyChris

I don't like the planets in the beginning. They look out of place and are the same size as the "jets". Real nice game. Looks like a real Atari game that could have been released back in the day. Also, I can't figure out what the targeting is for?

- Chris

Thanks for your comments! the planets are so big that in scale the size is right ;)

The targeting crosshair is so you can know your spaceship is inline with an enemy ship, very useful as the isometric perspective can be a little confusing.

Well, just I've found a small bug: when going against the tracking missile if your spaceship is far above medium altitude, you'll be unable to destroy missile.

Current solution: try to stay at or below medium altitude.

I'll check it for future versions.

Edited by nanochess

I'm planning to preserve the 4K version with solved bugs, because it has a lot of merit.

I've had success with converting it to 8K, and I've included the initial/final wall in each fortress, plus the chasm borders. Some flicker but it looks good :)

• Like 3

Well guys, after testing all this weekend, this is the 8K version!!!!! 8) New enhancements:

o Solved bug where crosshair appeared when enemy was behind player.
o Solved bug where tracking missile was impossible to destroy.
o Now only three levels of gas usage (before it had too little use of gas)
o Third plane now also shoots.
o Added wall at entry and end of fortresses.
o Added chasm at entry and end of fortresses.
o Added four extra levels (two in space and two fortresses)
o Added music for game over.
o Added extra sprites for spaceship going to left/right :D
o Player earns one life each 200 points.
o Number of lifes now is decremented after exploding.
o Ground satellite moves head.

For the record this game uses 5066 lines of assembly source code ;)

I've preserved the 4K version with the four first enhancements for sake of challenge :)

I'll not develop it anymore because I'm moving :arrow: to other things and I believe it's more than complete. :music:

Again I want to give thanks to everyone for their support.

P.D: I'll update next month the ZIP file in my site.

nanochess_space_raid.zip

• Like 8

This is just getting better and better. And it's all the better as it kinda feels like it came out of nowhere. A really great game.

I have a question about the future though. Would you ever consider using the same engine to make a straight up vertical shoot 'em up, at all? I would love to see that... :)

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by PFL

This is just getting better and better. And it's all the better as it kinda feels like it came out of nowhere. A really great game.

Thanks!

I have a question about the future though. Would you ever consider using the same engine to make a straight up vertical shoot 'em up, at all? I would love to see that... :)

EDIT: Spelling

At this point I don't know if I'll make another Atari game, but I think a vertical shoot 'em up would need a completely different kernel.

Or how about one where the playfield constantly rotates 360 degrees. Like that drunken version of Tempest.

Still I'm novice about Atari, I'm sure there a lot of tricks that can be done with TIA, just that I'm new in this land ;)

In fact I've never saw or played Tempest, I've heard it's good.