IGNORED

Portland Vintage Gaming Expo

BBWW

Thanks. It was really sad, he was only forty and had 7 year old twins. :(

Indeed, it's really sad for his wife and 7 year old twins.

A very good friend of me lost her husband there is one year ago (very sad anniversary 2 days ago) in an accident. It's really difficult for her and her 2 children... and need a lot of support. I think it will be the same for your colleague's wife :(

:)

Glad to see you scored one! Are you going to try to get it up and running?

And to everyone who went there, throw us losers who didn't make it a bone ... post some pics.

Thanks. It was really sad, he was only forty and had 7 year old twins. :(

As a parent of two kids, I can't imagine what they're going through. Thoughts and prayers out to your friend's family.

• Like 1

Nice meeting you...and the money got spent on Learning Fun Two and a Mint Complete Slap Shot Pro Hockey and a set of Mint Activision Games including another Worm Whomper

Sunday night in the Hotel. LOL

Good to meet you too. Nice trade up!

Of the all the money I spent that weekend:

• 1/3 went to the PRGE vendors (including Body Slam from Toby)
  • 1/3 in the parking garage buying some of BBWW's spares
  • 1/3 spent buying the entire Intellivision library at a retro store called Game Play in Vancouver, WA. It was the owner's personal collection on display in the store (good-to-mint condition, several in factory shrinkwrap). He had to get the power drill to unscrew the display case.

Yah I was supposed to come get it from Toby at the show but sadly had to go to a funeral for a friend from work

At least we all know that the Keyboard Component went to a good home.

As for your friend, my thoughts go out to his wife and children.

Edited by Lathe26

Must see that 1/3!

• 1/3 spent buying the entire Intellivision library at a retro store called Game Play in Vancouver, WA. It was the owner's personal collection on display in the store (good-to-mint condition, several in factory shrinkwrap). He had to get the power drill to unscrew the display case.

<p>

Whoa whoa.....what's this talk about an entire Intellivision library!? Pics please!

Guys, thanks for the congrats on finally acquiring a KC, but more importantly thanks for the well wishes for my friend's wife and kids.

On another note, Lathe did I just read you bought all 125 games, including Spiker, from a guy???!!! Pics please! :)

Must see that 1/3!

Whoa whoa.....what's this talk about an entire Intellivision library!? Pics please!

Guys, thanks for the congrats on finally acquiring a KC, but more importantly thanks for the well wishes for my friend's wife and kids.

On another note, Lathe did I just read you bought all 125 games, including Spiker, from a guy???!!! Pics please! :)

My apologies, I phrased things badly. I meant that I bought the entire library that the store had in stock, not the entire 125 game library. Sorry if I got anyone excited

The library I got was modest with ~35 games, some common and some moderately hard to finds. No rare items.

Here's the photo of what I got at PRGE, both from the vendor's and from BBWW (this is where 2/3s of my money went). All of these were either games I didn't own or games I only had parts of (typically missing the box). While I'm glad I got them all, the top 5 for me were:

• Body Slam!
  • Stadium Mud Buggies (cart only)
  • Fathom
  • Truckin' (includes map)
  • Tower of Doom

I also picked up a couple plastic trays for the early Mattel boxes (I can now remove the tilda from a few of my ~CIB early Mattel games).

post-37124-0-99799100-1381596977_thumb.jpg

... and here is what cleaned out from Game Play (the other 1/3 of my money). Much of this duplicates part of my existing collection (some new), but I got to trade up on the quality/condition. The top highlights for me are:

• The 6 unopened factory-sealed games
  • An IntelliVoice that has the highest serial number I've seen that still has the stacking connector.
  • Melody Blaster
  • TRON Solar Sailor
  • ECS US power supply (now I can plug in my recent Euro/brown ECS)

I'm not much of an Atari guy, but I do have a handful of Atari games and joysticks to use with my System Changers. I will have to say that the Atari Wico Command Control joystick is by far the best Atari joystick I've used (good weight, solid construction, fantastic control). I found this a little surprising since some people have posted that the Intellivision Wico is not very good for game play. Side note: BBWW was looking for the Intellivision Wico so I thought is an amusing coincidence that I end up with the Atari version.

post-37124-0-80696600-1381598017_thumb.jpg

One last thing that was a real treat at PRGE was getting to talk to Joe Decuir, Rebecca Heineman, and Jannell Jaquays (and others). These folks were hardware engineers, game writers, and game designers for the Atari back in the day. It was fascinating to listen to them talk about the history and what they knew (even if it wasn't much about the Intellivision).

Joe worked on the Atari hardware and is still a move and shaker in modern hardware. Because of my own involvement with the Bluetooth SIG (and less so with the USB-IF), it turns out that we know several people in common.

Rebecca backwards engineered the Atari SDK (had little to no docs) by using an Apple II to dump, disassemble a game cartridge, and modded the ROM to try out tweaks. My jaw dropped when she related the whole story of how she did that. Sounds like she knows some of the Blue Sky Rangers / Quicksilver folks. Also mentioned that an Atari version of the PlayCable was in the works, but it got canned mid-project (years later, she learned about the Intellivision PlayCable and wonders if that influenced the business decision to kill the Atari version).

Jannell provided her own insights into why Mattel and Coleco made some of the not-so-smart business decisions they did (ex: the Intellivision II ROM change to block 3rd party games) and why they fell early in the console crash of 1983 while other companies limped on. I love the Intellivision, but there are some decisions Mattel did that I shake my head at.

Edited by Lathe26

Question: do they have these types of Expos on the East coast?

I live in MA, but I can easily be in the NY/NJ/PA area in 4 hours. Just wondering, the wife would sucker-punch me if I said I wanted to spend $$$ flying to the West coast.

I just started a separate thread since it seems like a good idea if we had a list of retro gaming expos.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217617-retro-gaming-expo-list/

I went for many years. It was run by David Nueman (sp?) and was a great show. I think it became to much of a financial and general burden on him so he stopped. There was some confusion with people because the year after he stopped someone else started their own show and people thought it was still him or that he had handed it over to someone else, which wasn't true.

The new show was a disaster with a lot of problems and really wasn't a 'Classic Game Show'.

The 'real' Philly Classic was a grerat show and I would love to see a similar show again. Part of the problem is that some people want modern stuff to be a part of classic game shows and also everyone has there own idea of what 'classic' means.

Personally I would rather have a small classic game show than one that has Sony and Microsoft stuff. To me that defines new verses classic.

Allan

post-187-0-14770700-1381673423_thumb.jpg

I fondly remember the PhillyClassic shows I attended, the last show being PhillyClassic 5, back in 2004 I believe (damn, I can't believe it was that long ago). A "successor" show called the vgXpo was launched and held in a few different cities. Huh, to my surprise there's still an active website, but looks like the last show was held in 2009:

http://www.videogame.net/vgxpo/

Looks like it's dead now, no new information since then. I know I attended at least one vgXpo show (in 2005, after the demise of PhillyClassic), but it was underwhelming, especially in terms of classic gaming. Definitely had a more "modern" bent to it. In my opinion, the show was trying to cater to all gamers, rather than focus on a particular niche (or niches), so I don't feel it did any of those things particularly well.

Some badge p0rn:

phillyclassic_badges.jpg

pc4_atariage_badges.jpg

vgxpo_badge.jpg

..Al

• Like 2