IGNORED

Those obscure systems you got in your collection

CatPix

With all the wierd game boy clones mentioned earlier, I noticed a similar thing happened with the Wii craze.

Possibly the most infamous Wii clone, coming strait from Chinese bootleggers, the Chitendo Vii takes the cake. :lol:

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/modern/chitendo_vii.htm

A couple years after Wii came out, I saw another blatant Wii ripoff at CVS for $29.99 that claimed to do everything the Wii / Wii Sports combo did. It was advertised as a "motion gaming system." Came with tennis, bowling, golf, and a few other games bundled in. Can't remember the name of it, but I pity the child that got one for Christmas... :???:

Thanks for the in depth look at this system. I personally wish I had more info on the Game King that Ashens reviewed:

Wow. The ultra-low resolution is just epic! But why the mountain underlay in the background? To provide the illusion of a color game system? :P Also, some really nice Engrish in the commentary. Is that from the manual, or ad-libbed?

Most all my consoles are by mainstream companies and were successful. Ouya is possibly the most obscure game console in my collection right now, although the shear number of games available for a console that's only been out for a few months is mind boggling. Will people be discussing it in some obscure thread in some obscure forum 20 years from now, or will it rule the earth by then?

Ouya.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

Well at the same time than the fake games boys, there were Famiclones too popping on the market.

Surprisingly, most were of good quality, because there was no FPGA and chips alike to make Nes On a Chip, so they had the same chips as the Famicom, making them more compatible than any othr clone produced since.

Most famous ones are the ones sold in Asia and eastern Europe in the early 90's, under the names of Steepler Dendy (totally looking like a Famicom, with SECAM and PAL composite out, games playing at 60 htz but displayed at 50htz, and detachable controllers) the Terminator II (same but with no SECAM output and a more SNES look) and in general, all the ones sold under the Genius brand. (some claims say that those clones were made by Samsung...).

The Super A'can is also a kind of 32 bits clone of SNES.

Super-A-39-Can-1041428.jpg

I am genuinely amused by the fact they managed to make it looking like both a SNES and a SNIN/SuFami.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Just about anything from before 1985 is pretty obscure by definition, but some of my most obscure systems are probably my Studio II, Channel F(s), Tandy 2 (a "rebranded" TRS-80 Model II in a white case instead of silver, apparently custom made in very small numbers...it's actually the only one I've ever heard of, and Google turns up only the "TRS-80" version), TRS-80 MC-10, ZX80, DINA 2-in-One, and JVC X'Eye. Maybe my Odyssey and Coleco Gemini.

I can't really think of anything I have post-crash that would really turn any heads, though. The X'Eye is probably it. I'm more of a pre-Crash guy.

It's a little newer, and based on a dead common system, but below is my NIB Visteon Game Boy Advance. It's got to be the most obscure thing in my collection. Makes those DS 'XL' units look tiny. The other boxes are the installation kit for its car docking station. It was a bargain too. I want to say it cost me $75.

hpim0244l.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

I have a couple APF MP-1000s and I have almost all the carts that were made for it. I also a Hard plastic carry case with that is made specifically to carry an original Magnavox Odyssey. I have a similar case made for an Atari 2600. (as I am turning 50 next month) I don't recall ever seeing any of these items for sale when I was kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont swear to the spelling, but the two oddballs I got are the Bently Compuvision, a pong clone type of machine, but I believe it was a 80's release, I love that thing, still got it somewhere. It is an extremely well built machine, IMO, and it's, well, pong. If you like pong, it's great, if you don't, it won't do anything for you.

And the Dina (dyna?) 2 in one that playse Colecovision games, and supposedly Sega 1000 games (though I've never seen a cart, so I can't comment on that. I can say that it had an oddball requirement to be on something like channel 12 or something weird, and it was just far enough out of tune, that if you had a modern TV (that you couldn't fine tune it in) you would probably loose picture, sound, or both after a few minutes of playing it. I bought it as a replacement to the unreliable coleco, turns out the replacement made the original look like a sure thing. :P

As "obscure" (let said no so common) system i have :

as console :

the Hanimex (sames as yours)

the Interton VC4000

the Amstrad Gx 4000

the Nintendo virtual boy

the videopac N60 (my favorite!!)

a Treamcast (portable Dreamcast)

as computer :

Sharp MZ80k

few Micronique HECTOR

Commodore SX64

Commodore 64 G

few amstrad CPC 664

Amstrac CPC 6128+

Oric 1 and also Oric atmos (and i 'm dreaming of a Telestrat..).

Spectravideo Sv 318

Matra Alice

Lest my collection get out of control, I've had to make adjustments to my collecting plan since I started collecting retro a couple of years ago. I had to limit myself to pre-Crash programmable systems released in the US only. And then I had to draw the line and say no personal computers (except A8 and TI). So, I think I have them all now, most CIB. Because they were released in the US, none is truly obscure, unless you count variants such as the Bally Home Library Computer, white Astrocade, and Sylvania Intellivision.

The one that I like but that no one has mentioned yet is more of a personal computer than a videogame console, but it was the first to use programmable cartridges, I believe: the VideoBrain.

I've got a more-or-less complete Microvision collection, a half-dozen RCA Studio II carts that were found in my fiancée's parents house (no sign of the system yet though), and a Heathkit Pong unit. None of that compares to some of the obscurities mentioned in this thread, though! I have to admit, I've always been a bit intrigued by the Super A'can...

As "obscure" (let said no so common) system i have :

as console :

the Interton VC4000

the videopac N60 (my favorite!!)

I have them both! I even have a Grunding Super Play Computer 4000. It's just a silver gray variant of the Interton VC 4000,but with an interesting concept :

instead of RF and the odd power brick outputting AC 15V and 7,5V, it got one huge cart-like connector that plugged on a line of German exclusive high-end Grundig TV. Inside, you got 12V DC... and SCART compatible RGB video!

I modded the cable accordingly to get RGB out of the Super Play Computer.

I also have the Radofin 1292 AVPS variant.

The box art of the Interton VC 4000 is pretty amazing and typical of the time.

My N60 doesn't work at all sadly. And I didn't mentionned it because I didn't though first about "famous system variants".

Lest my collection get out of control, I've had to make adjustments to my collecting plan since I started collecting retro a couple of years ago. I had to limit myself to pre-Crash programmable systems released in the US only. And then I had to draw the line and say no personal computers (except A8 and TI). So, I think I have them all now, most CIB. Because they were released in the US, none is truly obscure, unless you count variants such as the Bally Home Library Computer, white Astrocade, and Sylvania Intellivision.

The one that I like but that no one has mentioned yet is more of a personal computer than a videogame console, but it was the first to use programmable cartridges, I believe: the VideoBrain.

I mentionned only "systems" so not even "game systems".

The VideoBrain is one system I heard of; seems very primitive but as you say, it got a "first" so definitively interesting in that regard. If you have pictures of it, carts picture, game play pics,stories or comment about it I'll be glad to heard about them ;)

That's the reason why I posted photo and comments;this topic isn't only about saying "I have this"; it's also about saying "I have this; here are pictures of it; I know it was made around this year, games are good but limited (or games are crap ; crappy systems are welcome here too)". Or people to ask questions about those systems.

I have the Bally Professional Arcade too. I can't wait to play it,but it need serious work before I can hope to play it (replacing the ankward american PSU by a compatible Euro one; doing a video mod in order for me to get a reliable and easy video out as I have only one TV that barely accept NTSC RF signals).

Mine is quite less impressive I guess. It's just a "Bally Professionnal Arcade" but already made by Astrovision.

What it the story behind the white Bally? I mean, the main story? Limited run? Early or late production? (I know I can look for it on Internet but... It's a forum here, made to share ;) ).

Also maybe just a clue on the Sylvania Intellivision. For me Sylvania just mean lightbulbs...

Edited by CatPix

Systems I own:

NES (model 1)

Super Nintendo (model 1 and 2) w/Super Game Boy

Nintendo 64

Gamecube (purple launch) w/Game Boy Player

Wii (launch, later white models)

Wii U 32 GB

Game Boy

Game Boy Pocket (red)

Game Boy Light

Game Boy Color (translucent purple, frontlight modded)

Game Boy Advance (white)

Game Boy Advance SP (blue)

Game Boy micro

Nintendo DS (launch model, electric blue model)

Nintendo DS Lite (launch)

Nintendo DSi (launch)

Nintendo 3DS (launch black)

Pokemon mini (Chikorita Green)
Virtual Boy

SEGA Master System (US Model 1)

SEGA Genesis (models 1 and 2)

SEGA Saturn (US model 1)

SEGA Dreamcast (launch, black SEGA Sports)

SEGA CD (model 2)

SEGA 32X

SEGA Game Gear

SEGA Nomad

Playstation (model 1, PSOne)

Playstation 2 (model 1)

Playstation 3 (80 GB, 2 USB)

PSP (silver 2000, silver 3000)

Playstation Vita (3G Black)

Neo Geo MVS 1 slot w/UNIBIOS 3.1

Neo Geo CD (toploader)

Neo Geo Pocket Color (translucent white, frontlight modded)

Xbox (Hitachi drive)

Xbox 360 (4 GB matte slim w/20 GB HDD)

Atari 2600 (4 switch woody, used to have a Heavy Sixer)

Atari 5200 (2 port)

Atari 7800

Atari Jaguar

Atari Jaguar CD

Atari Lynx II
Atari Flashback 2, Flashback 2+

Atari XEGS

Vectrex

CD-i (portable LG/Goldstar model; weird as hell)

3DO (Goldstar)

Colecovision

Intellivision (model 1)

Hyperscan

Turbografx-16

TurboExpress

Nokia N-Gage QD (orange)

Magnavox Odyssey2 (attached controllers model)

Bandai Wonderswan (green)

Bandai Wonderswan Color (pink w/frontlight mod, orange)

GP2X F-100

Plus I have some cheap knock off systems like the FC Game Console, Retro Duo Portable, Popstations, Game Kings, MiWi, etc. And my gaming PCs and tablets and such.

I'd say the ones that "stand out" are the Virtual Boy, Vectrex, CD-i, Odyssey, and Neo Geo MVS. Those are the ones that people see and immediately want to try when they come over.