IGNORED

new SNES owner

And yes I know this has been done a lot but if you have time humor me. I have never owned a SNES. I even went as far as to boycott it when it was new due to being a kid and not understanding backwards comp. issues. I finally gave in and decided to give it a shot. What are the must have titles with bonus points for budget concerns. I'm thinking a few from each genre and a homebrew or two on actual carts. No RPGs though unless they are exceptional. I used to enjoy them but I think I want to keep this lighter. RPGs require so much to get into them that I will at best wait on that.

Exclude Super Mario World as I know that one. I am considering Donkey Kong Country as well.

If you like sprite scaling racers, the Super Nintendo has one of the best. It's called Top Gear and can be had very cheaply thanks to Majesco rereleasing it in the late 1990's.

And I haven't seen it mentioned yet but Super Mario All-Stars is great. I'm not so crazy for the remasterings of Super Mario Brothers and the Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2. But the upgraded form of Super Mario Brothers 2 & 3 are my preferred way to play these two great games.

I saw a youtube about a Mario Kart like game using monster trucks and rock music. Any idea what that was?

Also, is there an easy way to know which games have batteries? I'm not crazy about batteries but I imagine many do. I've actually sold all my battery nes games save Dragon Warrior.

I saw a youtube about a Mario Kart like game using monster trucks and rock music. Any idea what that was?

Also, is there an easy way to know which games have batteries? I'm not crazy about batteries but I imagine many do. I've actually sold all my battery nes games save Dragon Warrior.

Rock N Roll Racing. also a good game even if you don't like a lot of racing games.

If you're new to this system and don't want to deal with batteries (which eliminates most of the 1st party hits), you really should consider investing in reprogrammable multicart like a Everdrive or SNES2SD.

They're easy to use, you don't have batteries to deal with, and you open up virtually the entire library on real hardware for a extremely reasonable cost. You could easily spend more just buying 10 or 12 of the more popular and in demand classics for the system than you would for a multicart that can play over 95% of the library (And the most expensive option would provide nearly 100% compatibility wlth more possibly to come).

They're pricey options but just buying the Donkey Kong Country trilogy would get you a fair ways to the lowest priced option. Excellent value which seems especially suited for you since you're new to the system and don't have a game collection, don't have any nostalgia to the original cartridges, don't want to deal with save batteries which so many of the popular releases had, and with SNES game prices seemingly on the expensive side these days.

Edited by Atariboy

Congratulations on getting one of the most enjoyable consoles ever! I know a lot of great games and here they-

No RPGs though

Well I'm out lol.

Almost all the US released SNES RPGs were exceptional IMO >.>

Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best of the DKC games IMO though I play DKC more because nostalgia.

Star Fox

Mega Man X

Eye of the Beholder is a nightmare on the SNES IMO. DOSBox is the way to enjoy that terrific serie. Not to mention you can transfer your party between the games.

I've always liked the Super Star Wars series. There's also good beat-em-ups on the SNES like Turtles in Time, the Final Fight series, Batman Returns, etc. Super Punch-Out is great if you liked the original at all. Other favorites of mine are Earthworm Jim and Sunset Riders.

I have to second the Super Star Wars trilogy. They haven't gone too crazy in price yet. Indiana Jones would be another solid platformer for the SNES. Mr. Do! (not a platformer, but your typical clown/orchard simulator) also has a port.

The non bonus points for non budget concerns are:

Super Metroid and Zelda: A link to the Past. They are spendy because of solid gameplay.

It's a fun system, even though it doesn't have "Blast Processing." :grin:

Here's my current top 5, minus Donkey Kong, Mario, shmups, and RPGs:

Super Metroid

Mega Man X

Contra III

Super Castlevania IV

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Yeah, I know there are six.

Also, here are a few hidden gems:

Demon's Crest

Kirby's Dream Course

Legend of Mystical Ninja

Pocky and Rocky

Sky Blazer

RPGs you should definitely look into:

Final Fantasy IV/V/VI (only IV, as II, and VI, as III, were released in the US)

Secret of Mana (easy to get into!)

Soul Blazer, with the sequels Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma

Ogre Battle (its sequel on the N64 was the only good RPG for that system, and imo beats even most of PS1's best RPGs)

Affordable shmups:

Gradius III

Darius Twin

Phalanx

Earth Defense Force

UN Squadron

(Somewhat or very) expensive but excellent:

R-Type III

Aero Wings

Syvalion (JP only)

Axelay (used to be dirt cheap, wow did it suddenly spike!)

Pop N Twinbee

Super Metroid

A Link To The Past

Super Punch-Out

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2

ActRaiser

Secret Of Mana

Axelay

Mega Man X

I also second Sky Blazer. It's fun and not too tough to complete. Pocky & Rocky on the other hand is almost impossible despite looking like a children's game.