IGNORED

I want Hover Bovver!

fsuinnc

From what I have read there is a Hover Bovver ROM that is either finished or nearly finished. I know there have been disputes and I don't want to rehash or cause further hard feelings. I just want the game released in cartridge form. I like to play games on my classic consoles and I especially love playing homebrew games on them. (I know some people like the collection aspect and want boxes and overlays and all that and I think that is great too, but I personally am happy with the cartridge but that is a different discussion.)

I just want to know what can we do to get this game published?

I know Albert at Atari Age has already gotten involved to some degree so my suggestion will focus there.

My suggestion: if you were or are involved in the Hover Bovver project;

1) Forget about your feelings towards the others involved and what has transpired so far.

2) Make a list of what YOU need to happen for YOU to allow and be satisfied with the Rom being released in a cart.

3) Share this list, privately, with Albert.

4) Let Albert work to see if we can make everyone happy and get the game to the fans. (isn't that why everybody did the work in the first place?)

If everybody comes up with a reasonable list then Albert can let the general community know where we stand. No naming names or placing blame or anything else, just a straight forward list of requirements. Once we know what that is we can work to find money, parts, more programming if needed, whatever.

Please be aware, I know I have volunteered Albert for something that he may have no interest in and/or some parties may not want and I apologize for this. I know almost nothing about the business end of creating a homebrew game outside of buying the finished product but if nobody experienced can fill this role I will be glad to try and play the role of intermediary

If this game gets hung up over hurt feelings and "he said, he said" there is nothing that will get done and that will suck for all the game collectors and fans. If people just want back what they put in or want to wash their hands of the whole thing then I think we might be able to make this happen.

I am not a rich man but if I can help some of those involved recoup the investment so the project can be finished I am willing to do that and I believe there are others who will join me.

My parents have a 1000 m² lawn. If you want real life Hover Bovver I invite you, I also look if I can organize a dog. Otherwise play the C64 version, its still good.

Sorry, but if William says its over, what he said several times now, you should accept it. As you may noticed or not, he wanted Hover Bovver for personal reasons, he likes the game, so I am sure the descision to cancle the game was damn hard. Dont put more salt in the wound and forget this game, look forward to Paddle Party, Kroz, Defender of the Crown and so on.

• Like 2

My parents have a 1000 m² lawn. If you want real life Hover Bovver I invite you, I also look if I can organize a dog. Otherwise play the C64 version, its still good.

Sorry, but if William says its over, what he said several times now, you should accept it. As you may noticed or not, he wanted Hover Bovver for personal reasons, he likes the game, so I am sure the descision to cancle the game was damn hard. Dont put more salt in the wound and forget this game, look forward to Paddle Party, Kroz, Defender of the Crown and so on.

I understand that William believes that the game, as it is, does not fit within Elektronite's level of quality, and I respect that. However, would it be possible for GroovyBee to just release the game as it is without the auspices of Elektronite and with a disclaimer that it is not associated with them in any way?

I believe that Jeff Minter wanted to see the game released on the Intellivision, so perhaps he would agree to an independent release...

I'm not trying to stir anything up--in fact, I don't think this thread should have any of the baggage of the other ones. We're not here to discuss what happened nor who did what. That's over. The point of this thread is to discuss if there is a way forward for this game to see the light of day, since it is supposed to be complete. Elektronite understandably won't distribute it, and that's their prerogative--but could someone else do so?

-dZ.

• Like 1

I think Groovy has no right to release at, but I am not sure. But I am sure that it would just bring more drama to our lovely Intellivision-Universe, so I hope that the game wont show up. Really, its just a game and honestly not the most anticipated. I am much more worried about Defender of the Crown ;)

Just my 2 cents (I know nobody asked).......I believe Willy holds the rights to the game AND has already paid Groovy $2000. I would think there would need to be some negotiating there to ever have it released......

True. I hope it happens in the future. It seemed like a good game.

-dZ.

"William said it's over" seems to me to be an unhelpful post. I will admit that I have not read every single post in all the various topics but I am suggesting a new road, not the dead ends that have been discussed.

Perhaps it has been discussed but is there a monetary figure that could be paid to William that would reimburse him for his losses? I assume no one has offered him that. But I might be willing to do so. Has Groovey been paid in full? Is there money due to the rights holder for releasing the game?

again, I cannot mend the hurt feelings or undo anything that has transpired. But, with the help of of this community I think we can make sure that at the very least the parties currently involved get to a financial break even. If we can get people to agree that they are satisfied with that proposition perhaps we can then move forward.

basically, I am suggesting we build a fund to reimburse the initial investors and fund the project to completion. If the game is released the proceeds go back into the fund. At some point after release, if there is a profit situation the monies go back to the investors otherwise (and more likely) it is really a donation from the community to thank William and Groovey and all the developers and producers and hope they continue making games.

I am also suggesting that rather than William or Groovey or anybody post to all of us how much they have spent in time and money and effort and all that, just IM it to Albert, or some person agreed on by all, and that person can let us all know the grand totals of what is needed. and we can move from there.

Maybe you should read the story before suggesting solutions ;)

It was Williams game and when he say its over, than its over. In my opinion it show a lack of respect if you ignore that. Anyway, if you really want to make anything, why not PM William personally? This thread just starts new discussions with no results.

I am suggesting that all the parties work through a independent party to try and change the decision. Perhaps you are correct that I should PM him.

I accept that the decision is his to make. My point is that a business decision usually carries a financial component. If recovering investment and/or losses would help change Williams' mind then I think this topic is a place for people to step and say they would be willing to participate. If there is a dollar figure that would change the decision, and it happens to be several thousand dollars, I cannot cover that. But I can probably do a couple hundred, maybe even more. IF the decision is financial, and IF more people join me in confirming they would help by putting up some money, then maybe someone with much better knowledge and experience than me (like Albert perhaps) will take up the task of organizing the effort.

(This is kind of fun, I haven't posted much in years. BTW, Not trying to be intentionally argumentative)

Edited by fsuinnc

If anybody can code a new Hover Bover, and publish it / release it / etc. then YES, it can be done. You probably have to name it something else, legally. So just change one or two letters, and name it Hovery Bovery, or something like that to cover you, then GO FOR IT. Seriously, if I had the expertise and money to code it, publish it, and release it, then I would do so, with a new name, and MY OWN code, and there isn't anything that William could do about it.

I know most of you refuse to see it, but all of the parties involved just gave a middle finger to all of us in the Intellivison community by not releasing what was completed. Had they gone forward, putting all of their creative differences aside, then I guarantee you that the world wouldn't have ended by releasing the actual game instead of the empty boxes.

Edited by Eric7100

I know most of you refuse to see it, but all of the parties involved just gave a middle finger to all of us in the Intellivison community by not releasing what was completed.

Pretty stupid statement, sorry. Do you really think William paid 2000$ and Groovy quit 4000$ more just to show you the middle finger? I dont think that you are that important for the involved persons. Its pretty easy to say how easy it could be from the outside, but all of us know that situations may look different if you are involved.

• Like 1

the difference is that you are apparently unwilling to do anything to get your golden toilet.

How do you know? Who are you to make assumptions? I will have you know I started a topic on the "Kohler" forums begging and pleading them to resume work on their recently cancelled "Golden Thrown" line of toilets! They were 80% complete on the model 1 but the designer canned it at the manufacturing stage due to a break down in negotiations with Kohler. I am sure though as long as I can get enough support and people in my thread complaining and whining they will put aside whatever disagreements or personal reasons to ensure I get my chance to poop on my own Golden Throne!

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS though, you seem to have an interpretation of events that make it sound like it is all about you. The parties involved are adults, you yourself admitted to not reading everything and even if you did you are still not privy to every little detail, you want something and have been told over and over to forget about it and move on. You are not "DOING" anything except pouring salt in a wound and despite being repeatedly it's not happening you persist. This is nothing more than you wanting something and being a whiny entitled #@$^%$ about it because you may not get it. All your comments like "Not trying to be intentionally argumentative" go out the window when you persist despite what people are telling you and you continue to disrespect William's decision. Clearly it is not about finances and clearly the decision was not made without deep consideration. "William said it's over" is actually the most helpful comment, you just refuse to accept it. Be glad so many great homebrew titles are still being worked on and released and just let this one go and deal with it.

post-10336-0-83462100-1381010636_thumb.png

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Pretty stupid statement, sorry. Do you really think William paid 2000$ and Groovy quit 4000$ more just to show you the middle finger? I dont think that you are that important for the involved persons. Its pretty easy to say how easy it could be from the outside, but all of us know that situations may look different if you are involved.

NOTHING is Earth-shattering, and no seemingly unresolvable "problem" will cause the world to literally come to an end. So everybody should just learn how to swallow hard, and release the game regardless of ANY undesirable conditions surrounding its release.

Edited by Eric7100

This is a nice sentiment, and if Al could've mediated successfully, I'm sure he would have. First, you're making an assumption that the "programmer" actually delivered something worth releasing. According to William, that was not the case. Al was to look at the ROM and then turn it over to William, and that is where things came to a screeching halt. Make your own assumptions there.

William seems to be the current license owner, so if we are to see a playable quality game, it appears as though he would have to start from scratch with a different programmer. He's already paid $2,000 and didn't get what he paid for. He's also spent $$$ on boxes that he can't use because the name of the "programmer" appears on the back. William has apparently decided to cut his losses, try to recoup some costs by selling the boxes and has moved on to other games.

• Like 1