IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Based on this news story, AtGames is bringing some sort of Intellivision product to retail, and also digital and consoles.

AtGames makes the plug n play style games including Atari Flashback. Is it safe to assume an Intellivision version is coming?

Check out the news story here: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intellivision-productions-and-atgames-digital-media-partner-to-bring-new-products-to-market-225956221.html

And is it too much to wish for a cartridge slot?

Yep, wishful thinking I'm afraid. If the 2600 Flashback's haven't included them - no way I see an Intellivision Flashback console including it.

I've been disappointed in all of the modern plug and play Intellivision incarnations and bet this will be more of the same. They'll probably dumb the controller down big time, take away the 16 directions of the pad (if there's to be something resembling the original disc in the first place), chicklet keys if there's a keypad, etc. Hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

Thanks for the news. Indeed, the controller will be the factor.

The included controller in the Genesis / Megadrive consoles are quite crappy so I will not put my expectations up.

AV output and a cartridge slot, with the chance to plug in controllers would be an interesting deal.

Cheers and thanks again for sharing!

I think this could be a good thing. Things I would love to see on this system:

1) Some sort of game expansion. Don't really care how they go about this. If its the inclusion of an old style cart port great. If not (like USB, SD, or new custom type cart) that would be great two. A new cart slot (not necessarily compatible with the old) for buying extra games would be great and still give that feel of a classic system. Yes, I know pie in the sky would be a traditional cart port, but I don't think it is 100% necessary.

2) Detachable controllers. Heck the Atari Flashback units has them. Again, they do not need to be just like the original, but something that is loosely similar would be just fine. When I say loosely similar I mean a game pad of some kind in an Intellivision like look.

3) Keypad please. Yes, I know this most likely isn't going to happen, but look at it this way. One of the most iconic parts of Intellivision is the keypad and overlays. Every console back then had cart ports, but not all had keypads that were utilized and integrated so well. For that reason they really should consider it and if they do I have a few suggestions: First, do not put the keypad on the controller. Put it on the console itself. Two, to keep cost down use a membrane keypad that's flat. Think OD2 here. Finally, consider making it compatible with the old style overlays. The reason for the this one is because I do understand why you would not want to put in an old style intellivision compatible cart port (its costly), but making a new console that can at least accept the old style overlays (which is what truly is the iconic mark of Intellivision, its overlays) will give you the old school feel/flashback and shouldn't be nearly as costly as a compatible cart port. When explained like that, its a no brainer.

4) This is a big if here. If they decide to put somekind of game expansion port on it, please include updated versions along side with the classic versions of the games. Doesn't necessarily need to be better graphics, but maybe a slightly re-imagined version. For instance Astrosmash comes with Astrosmash 2. I can still look as if it would have come out on the console back in the day but it would have an new aspect of the game.

5) Finally, just don't make a plug and play like the last Intellivision one.

Just thought of something else. Go crazy and call it "Intellivision 3" (or 4 if you count the INTV System III as 3).

Edited by pboland

Probably another cheap, crappy Plug & Play.

I would be extremely surprised if this turns out to be even halfways decent.

I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but unfortunately, you're probably right.

I still think that an Intellivision plug-and-play unit done right would have had real potential, especially if they had taken the route that Legacy took with the Flashback 2 and built it around a modern implementation of the original Intellivision/ECS hardware, with authentic controllers. But outside of the few diehards on discussion boards like these, there's probably little interest in that level of authenticity, especially now that they have cheaper alternatives that would be "good enough" for the casual market, which is where they'll make most of their money. Since this is AtGames we're talking about, it will almost certainly use some sort of sub-par emulation, like the Flashback 3. That's a bit better than the half-baked NOAC "reconstructions" of the Intellivision games in the Intellivision Techno Source units, but it probably means no cartridge port, and probably a simplified gamepad controller as well.

I actually like the AtGames stuff I have quite a bit but there's no way to sugar coat it: distinct mixed bag. There's some stuff that they screw up or are just lazy on. Like, I love having all these built-in games including The Wiley Wars but why the eff aren't saves built into the console? Especially when it accepts an SD Card slot so I can load my own ROMs? I mean, who do they think they're marketing this thing to?

However, I would be fairly jazzed about an Inty plug-n-play console. Wireless controllers maybe? Also sounds like a decent way to share the system with my friends as I'm relatively hesitant to pack up the Inty stuff I have

I'll wait for the plug and play to come out and then look at the reviews on youtube. I would've been interested in the Sega Genesis one, but I saw in the review that half the built in games were newly made homebrews, and poorly done ones at that. It just reeked of cheapness. As far as this one goes, if there's no cart slot, but it has most if not all of the original INTV games (minus the third-party ones of course), I might consider getting it for convenience's sake (although I'd still want to start collecting the originals when I was able to).

I would love this to be an intellivision on a chip....

But if it is good emulation with HD output and REAL Controllers! I would buy. Mostly just for the controllers.

Sears style controllers that will plug in to Sears and Intllivision II... Good side buttons and domed keypad.. Otherwise.... No thanks.

They did pretty good 2600 joysticks and paddles as additional items, usable on original hardware. Even a small db9 to intellivision 1 style connector could be sold as well.

I would buy 20 or more new high quality controllers!

In quantity, they could produce overlay sheets for only the games that need them.

MANY games do not need overlays. A quick instruction screen for many other games could remove overlays.. ie Astrosmash, only need fire ,autofire and hyperspace.

Shark Shark, just the "fast swim" or whatever it is called, is needed to be known... Utopia is the only overly I ever had to look at... After 2 or 3 times playing.

LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST!

I am certain the home brewers would be willing to work with intellivision productions....yes?

I would love this to be an intellivision on a chip....

But if it is good emulation with HD output and REAL Controllers! I would buy. Mostly just for the controllers.

AtGames doesn't do xxx on a chip consoles, they use modern internals running emulators. We were the only ones doing new implementations of original old consoles on a single chip format for plug-and-plays, such as the 2600-on-a-chip we did for the Flasback 2 and 2+. They also don't make any of their products hackable (a signature of ours). We talked to Intellivision Productions about doing the same with the Intellivision and they instead went with those poorly received ported games/emulated plug-and-play. We wanted to do the same with the Colecovision as well, and had further plans for the Atari Flashback series (the series we created) before the Los Angeles licensing guys unfamiliar with the background of the series decided to license out the name to AtGames.

Retro Rogue,

I loved the flashback 2... It would have been great if you and Curt could have done the Intellivision and Colecovision consoles.

I am hoping now for some new controllers... If they do another hand held crap unit, I'll be bumbed, but not surprised at all.

Any chance Curts firm would make good quality replacement controllers for the Intellivision? I like the 2600 compatible controllers.

Even USB for emulation would be cool like the 2600 release. The 9 pin is hackable correct? or was it a replacement pcb?

I'll have to look up the site again.

I hope they consider a Wii U compilation.

With things like Space Invaders on their last Flashback, hopefully that means they go beyond just what we've seen be rereleased in the past with this. G-Mode for the Bump 'n' Jump & Burgertime licenses would open up at least 4 Intellivision Production properties for release that they have been ignored in the past.

And the more arcade style games they can include on whatever they're planning, the better.

Edited by Atariboy