IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

I think I have those, but haven't hooked them up in forever. GIven there was only ever one Volleyball game for Intellivision -- Spiker! -- it's safe to assume that anything named volleyball was supposed to be Spiker!.

Yes, but the thing with this "Beach Volleyball" that makes me unsure is that the port of Spiker! on the Intellivision 25 was named "Volleyball," not "Beach Volleyball." Thus, I'm wondering if maybe "Beach Volleyball" is one of the Intellivision-inspired games that were put on the X2 15 and 10 2nd Edition, like Astrosmash 2 and Space Armada 2. Consider how "Golf" on the Intellivision 25 menu was a port of Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf, while the golf game on the 10 2nd Edition is a newly programmed, "fake" Intellivision game, Long Drive Golf, and is just a driving range game; perhaps the relationship between 25 "Golf" and 10 2nd Edition "Long Drive Golf" is the same as the relationship between 25 "Volleyball" and 10 2nd Edition "Beach Volleyball"? That's a possibility.

Or, maybe it's simply a port of Spiker!, and the addition of the word "Beach" is just someone's accursed whim.

Since I'm going to be digging through a few things this weekend, if I come across those units, I'll try to hook them up. No promises, though.

Thanks! I hope they surface during your excavations.

onmode-ky

Skiing is not on the list? I could have sworn I heard Keith say the game was there in the podcast....

Nurmix, great work on finding this out! For those people who want to use these Flashback controllers on their system, sounds like they can do it then, if they either do the soldering themselves or send away for the adapter. Of course most people won't care, but it's really great for those who do.

I just hope the overlays are made of some good plastic material, not cheap stuff or where the paint flakes away easily.

Your joke response on the controller was pretty good, but I actually do know that thumbnails can make a difference....it's effected my thumbstick play at points. ;) I'll have to ask for more 'serious' advice about handling the disk when it gets close to the Flashback launch.

Skiiing is not on the PDF master list for whatever reason. That would be a question for Keith to answer. Frankly it could just be a simple matter of keeping the number to 60 games for this version, so that means a few of the less popular titles were left on the cutting room floor.

By the way, I have the raw (manually typed) list, not the list with the final names that we'll see on the menus of the actual units (those can only be seen on the actual units). They'll be the same games of course, but I suspect due to the usual human error and how the menu system displays things, they'll have slightly different names here and there. Either way, it's clear what games we're getting, but there's no point in worrying about the "real/exact" names until we see what they are both on the actual menu and then what the title screen in-game says. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, no worries of any of the games from the other company's plug n play appearing on there. It doesn't work like that.

What Paul doesn't know is that I'm hiding in his closet listening as he puts the podcast together....in a totally non creepy, non stalker sort of way. :)

Yes. Hiding in a closet while holding onto a wetsuit with a hole cut out of the bottom and a bucket of soapy frogs isn't creepy at all.

Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing is supposed to be on there.

Yeah, I could have sworn I heard Keith mention this game on the podcast.....

BTW, speaking about games, can you expand on the technical issue that caused Reversi to be left out, Nurmix? It sounded like from what Keith was saying that that the way the AI works in that game -- how it only looks ahead a couple turns compared to MANY turns like most of the other Intelivision strategy games -- caused some kind of problem with the emulation. I'd rather have Takeover on there anyway -- it's a good game but I can play Othello on the 2600 for the same good game.

Skiiing is not on the PDF master list for whatever reason. That would be a question for Keith to answer. Frankly it could just be a simple matter of keeping the number to 60 games for this version, so that means a few of the less popular titles were left on the cutting room floor.

By the way, I have the raw (manually typed) list, not the list with the final names that we'll see on the menus of the actual units (those can only be seen on the actual units). They'll be the same games of course, but I suspect due to the usual human error and how the menu system displays things, they'll have slightly different names here and there. Either way, it's clear what games we're getting, but there's no point in worrying about the "real/exact" names until we see what they are both on the actual menu and then what the title screen in-game says. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, no worries of any of the games from the other company's plug n play appearing on there. It doesn't work like that.

They have 2 Golf Games and Las Vegas Roulette Vectron earning Fun Learning Fun II Math Fun Word Fun and Boxing. They think these games are more liked then Skiing?

Boxing is boring and has blocky graphics, one of the not so great games on Intellivision, Vectron is a game most people don't like because it is too hard to play because it's too hard to control. How many people really played Las Vegas Roulette?

• Like 1

They have 2 Golf Games and Las Vegas Roulette Vectron earning Fun Learning Fun II Math Fun Word Fun and Boxing. They think these games are more liked then Skiing?

Boxing is boring and has blocky graphics, one of the not so great games on Intellivision, Vectron is a game most people don't like because it is too hard to play because it's too hard to control. How many people really played Las Vegas Roulette?

It's only a guess. There could be any number of other reasons. Besides, to you, Boxing may be boring, but for others it may be a "must have." As we discussed, even bad games have their defenders. For a first product, I'm not going to get too picky about the game list.

Wow, now AtGames is cutting completely useable popular non-third party games like Skiing that even Keith Robinson said would be there just so they can stay at a nice round number, then why not do the same on Atari's Flashback 5 with its off count of 92 games, that's crazy and stupid!

:mad:

Edited by TrekkiELO

Wow, now AtGames is cutting completely useable popular non-third party games like Skiing that even Keith Robinson said would be there just so they can stay at a nice round number, then why not do the same on Atari's Flashback 5 with its off count of 92 games, that's crazy and stupid!

:mad:

That's MY guess, not their official statement. I can only *assume* that they want both first-time Flashbacks to have the same game count so one doesn't seem "inferior" to a casual passerby. It could be for a completely different reason, though, like maybe lack of compatibility with the emulation like with Reversi. The only things we can really be sure about is why they don't get licenses from companies like Nintendo or Disney, otherwise just about any other omission can be for a wide range of reasons. Again, it's very easy to focus on what's NOT included rather than what's included. We can play the "what's NOT included" game all day, but it doesn't get us anywhere. Naturally we hope for improvements and additions with each new edition of the hardware, assuming we'll get more new editions.

Yes, but the thing with this "Beach Volleyball" that makes me unsure is that the port of Spiker! on the Intellivision 25 was named "Volleyball," not "Beach Volleyball." Thus, I'm wondering if maybe "Beach Volleyball" is one of the Intellivision-inspired games that were put on the X2 15 and 10 2nd Edition, like Astrosmash 2 and Space Armada 2. Consider how "Golf" on the Intellivision 25 menu was a port of Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf, while the golf game on the 10 2nd Edition is a newly programmed, "fake" Intellivision game, Long Drive Golf, and is just a driving range game; perhaps the relationship between 25 "Golf" and 10 2nd Edition "Long Drive Golf" is the same as the relationship between 25 "Volleyball" and 10 2nd Edition "Beach Volleyball"? That's a possibility.

On Spiker, there were 2 game variations, one of which took place on the beach (2 on 2), one of which took place indoors (full teams). So they broke the versions into 2 different games, one called Beach Volleyball, the other simply Volleyball (for the indoor version).

Skiing is not on the list? I could have sworn I heard Keith say the game was there in the podcast....

Your joke response on the controller was pretty good, but I actually do know that thumbnails can make a difference....it's effected my thumbstick play at points. ;) I'll have to ask for more 'serious' advice about handling the disk when it gets close to the Flashback launch.

Keith may have been mistaken (and I honestly don't recall if I saw the game on his prototype Flashback or not). I will check with him and report back.

And I wasn't really joking about the thumbnail thing. It's all true (and truly painful if my advice is not followed).

Yeah, I could have sworn I heard Keith mention this game on the podcast.....

BTW, speaking about games, can you expand on the technical issue that caused Reversi to be left out, Nurmix? It sounded like from what Keith was saying that that the way the AI works in that game -- how it only looks ahead a couple turns compared to MANY turns like most of the other Intelivision strategy games -- caused some kind of problem with the emulation. I'd rather have Takeover on there anyway -- it's a good game but I can play Othello on the 2600 for the same good game.

He did mention it, but he could have said it in error.

As for Reversi, I'm not a 1610 assembly programmer, but I believe he said the AI on the "hardest" setting caused a problem with the stack, which crashed the game. But I'll ask him for specifics and report back.