IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

As for the Colecovision Flashback, there was a tweet that they will be made available in Canada... I can't speak for the Intellivision one but as they are all made my AtGames you would think they will be made available here as well.

I was looking through twitter and saw their tweet... and once the Flashback are out, they plan on releasing the old table top arcade units too!!

As mentioned in the other thread, be careful with the Canada thing, as I was told directly from AtGames about US only. It's AtGames who is in control of that. It's possible though that Coleco Holdings has a deal with a separate sub-distributor for Canada and other territories, but I have no info about that. That's apparently an option should they choose to pursue it.

It will be interesting to see who Riverwest partnered with for the tabletop units, if anyone.

It kinda sounded on the podcast that Intellivision Productions (or maybe atGames) may sell the entire set online... which means I'd rather get the Dollar General version with the extra baseball game and buy the full overlay set online.

That's something Keith wants to do, but ultimately it has to be worked out with AT Games before that can happen (they are producing the overlays for the Flashback).

As soon as I know more about the status of a FULL overlay set being available, I will post here and/or reveal it on the podcast.

It looks like I won't be allowed to reveal further details on much of anything else until September, but I did want to clarify that in addition to the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks getting special Dollar General and Sam's Club editions, it looks like both the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega Classic Console will be getting the same treatment. I can't reveal the details of what those are yet, but just be aware that if you're interested in that type of thing, those will also have variations. Since I'll be able to talk about it in September, that should still provide plenty of time to make a final purchase decision. The Sega Genesis handheld unit is the only one that will be solely available in a standard edition. Even though AtGames prefers at this point to wait on releasing further info, I'll of course continue to do my best to try and clarify/correct any incorrect information or rumors.

Nurmix,

Thank you very much for the controller information. I hope that these adaptors will be available soon after release in either or both places. Any idea on what the adaptors will cost? Just an estimate. Thank you very much. Keep up the good work and please keep meus posted.

If demand is relatively low, I will likely just make and sell them myself. If demand is high, Intellivision Productions and I will probably look into getting them mass produced. I can't really give a price until I know which of those it will be.

That said, to get a better idea of the demand, those who want them please send me a PM here, so I can get some idea.

My best guess is around $10, factoring in parts and the time involved in making the adapters.

Edited by nurmix

If demand is relatively low, I will likely just make and sell them myself. If demand is high, Intellivision Productions and I will probably look into getting them mass produced. I can't really give a price until I know which of those it will be.

That said, to get a better idea of the demand, those who want them please send me a PM here, so I can get some idea.

My best guess is around $10, factoring in parts and the time involved in making the adapters.

Well, those of us that would be interested in the adapter will have to buy at least 2...or more. It would be nice if they were official mass produced items.

I agree. That would be ideal for me as well. I want to make them available to everyone who needs them at the cheapest cost possible. So with your PMs we can figure out the best way to proceed.

And as I said previously, I will post all the information for those who want to make them on their own too.

That's something Keith wants to do, but ultimately it has to be worked out with AT Games before that can happen (they are producing the overlays for the Flashback).

As soon as I know more about the status of a FULL overlay set being available, I will post here and/or reveal it on the podcast.

Full overlay set and Adapters would both be awesome!!! ;-)

For those asking about other territories, at this point in time, I can confirm that these units will only see release at US retailers.

Wow that is some disapointing news. I am regular listener of the intellvisionaires podcast and boy have I been excited for this, but since I am in Canada, I may be out of luck. It sounded like Keith really wants to get some solid sales numbers so it seems strange to cut out a market where the intellevision was sold and heavily marketed. I have 80+ original carts that we bought when I was but a lad, north of the border. If it is on AT games, I understand, I bet it comes down to the French packaging issue.

• Like 1

Wow that is some disapointing news. I am regular listener of the intellvisionaires podcast and boy have I been excited for this, but since I am in Canada, I may be out of luck. It sounded like Keith really wants to get some solid sales numbers so it seems strange to cut out a market where the intellevision was sold and heavily marketed. I have 80+ original carts that we bought when I was but a lad, north of the border. If it is on AT games, I understand, I bet it comes down to the French packaging issue.

Don't worry. Once the Intellivision Flashback is released, I'm sure someone will start selling these in eBay for Canada and rest of world. ;)

You need to find a buddy in the USA. I ordered mine from toysrus.com and had it shipped to his address. He'll then ship it to me. I ordered the colecovision and intellivision flashbacks this way.

I would certainly be willing to ship these kinds of things to anyone anywhere for the price of postage.

Same here, I've shipped things overseas before. In fact, if people want and pay me ahead of time I'll grab several when I get my Intelivision and Colecovision Flashbacks at Sams Club, if people want the ones with the extra overlays. Plus it would justify me going in there just for the day. ;)

Yes, but the thing with this "Beach Volleyball" that makes me unsure is that the port of Spiker! on the Intellivision 25 was named "Volleyball," not "Beach Volleyball." Thus, I'm wondering if maybe "Beach Volleyball" is one of the Intellivision-inspired games that were put on the X2 15 and 10 2nd Edition, like Astrosmash 2 and Space Armada 2. Consider how "Golf" on the Intellivision 25 menu was a port of Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf, while the golf game on the 10 2nd Edition is a newly programmed, "fake" Intellivision game, Long Drive Golf, and is just a driving range game; perhaps the relationship between 25 "Golf" and 10 2nd Edition "Long Drive Golf" is the same as the relationship between 25 "Volleyball" and 10 2nd Edition "Beach Volleyball"? That's a possibility.

Or, maybe it's simply a port of Spiker!, and the addition of the word "Beach" is just someone's accursed whim.

Thanks! I hope they surface during your excavations.

onmode-ky

I think others have answered your question about Beach Volleyball already, but figured I'd chime in to confirm. Had occasion to dig out the 15-game Techno-Source two player thingamajig and yeah, Beach Volleyball looks like it intends to be the subset of Spiker! nurmix mentioned.

Hooking that thing up to my HDTV reminded me of just how awful that those things look there. :( Should have used the old analog. I never quite could get the hang of playing Spiker all that well, and I keep hitting the wrong buttons on the Techno Source thing and resetting it. Back into the vault it goes, one day to likely be tossed in the trash after I'm feeding the worms. :P

• Like 1

Am I misunderstanding something? There's only "Spiker: Super Pro Volleyball" on there, and nothing else. These are only real Intellivision games, not knock-offs or simulations.

As for the HDTV thing, to keep the costs at the mass market price point, we're pretty much stuck with composite sadly, which means it will still probably only look REALLY good on an old TV. I'd LOVE for these to be upgraded to HDMI, but that probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

Am I misunderstanding something? There's only "Spiker: Super Pro Volleyball" on there, and nothing else. These are only real Intellivision games, not knock-offs or simulations.

As for the HDTV thing, to keep the costs at the mass market price point, we're pretty much stuck with composite sadly, which means it will still probably only look REALLY good on an old TV. I'd LOVE for these to be upgraded to HDMI, but that probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

onmode-ky had asked a question about the old Techno-Source 15-game Bed Bath & Beyond unit. Guess the thread has meandered away from the original topic. I thought I'd mentioned that.

Sorry if any confusion resulted. I was not commenting about the Flashback. I'm really psyched about that!

I am so so SO looking forward to these releases (CV too). I was an Atari kid back in the day, and my trusty Colecovision is still working, but I never got an Inty. I really appreciate the Inty too, but pretty much every compilation disk for consoles (PSX, GC, PS2) have been unplayable because of controller mapping. This will be the best $40ish bucks spent on my retro collection in some time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Someplace in the Midwest today, a European 51 y.o. dude stopped at some store, and bought these. [Yeah, I know. They were not supposed to be sold until October 1st. Maybe my charming accent helped ;-)].

I love the units and the controllers. They feel "real", look about the same size as the original (will check later on), and the Colecovision controller feel better, more responsive, less clunky!

Will try them out later on, after dinner.

post-32532-0-60366800-1408841273_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-98580200-1408841282_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-49405300-1408841243_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-68178200-1408841254_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-67004400-1408841262_thumb.jpgpost-32532-0-44043900-1408841270_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Fairly bad quality video, but you get the idea:

I'm very pleased with this product. The controllers are awesome! While they feel just like the old ones in terms of size, they are much nicer in terms of mechanics. The disk feels great, the side buttons are much smoother than the original, and the numeric pad feels just like the old one.

Very good emulation, also. I tested Astrosmash, and everything "computes". Sounds, speed, even the rapid fire by pressing 1.

Excellent product!

• Like 2