IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Just wanted to say, if anyone has any input for the Intellivision Flashback 2 I would suggest:

Place the connectors towards the back.

The woodgrain on the front is nice, really nice. Just hide all the connectors in the back for presentation. That way you aren't draping cords in front of the device when it is not being used.

Even side connectors would not be as bad as having the connectos in the front is my opinion.

post-4709-0-14080500-1414082652_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to say, if anyone has any input for the Intellivision Flashback 2 I would suggest:

Place the connectors towards the back.

The woodgrain on the front is nice, really nice. Just hide all the connectors in the back for presentation. That way you aren't draping cords in front of the device when it is not being used.

Even side connectors would not be as bad as having the connectos in the front is my opinion.

for cost reasons that will probably never happen. Thats why the power is on the side. So there is only one board with all connections on it.

I think back-mounted connectors would work better, too, as would having the power cord plug into the back instead of the front-right corner. I think AtGames placed these connectors in the way that they did because they went with a highly integrated design: the controller ports are on the main logic board, which is exceptionally tiny (about 1.5" by 4.25"), and there is a very small daughterboard for the power plug and console switches. They presumably wanted the console switches at the front of the unit, to match the original design, so that's where everything else had to go, too.

for cost reasons that will probably never happen. Thats why the power is on the side. So there is only one board with all connections on it.

Would also make it harder to play with controllers out the back... you'd have to drape them over the top to the front, giving you less cord length. Personally I'd like to see more licensed games and a cartridge port.

Edited by jbellanca
  • Like 2

Here is one thing I thought was interesting last night looking at the Intellivision and Atari Flashbacks:

The Atari Flashback has like 92 games, and I noticed that a lot of M-Network titles were there. Obviously getting license for Mattel games to make the Intellivision Flashback made the M-Network games possible for the Atari.

Donkey Kong (Nintendo) seems to be out no matter what Flashback is involved.

But on ColecoVision you have Venture, Zaxxon, and other arcade ports. So would those Coleco titles be possible on the Intellivision in theory? Yeh Zaxxon blows but Venture was actually decent.

If you listen to the Colecovisions Podcast (I can't remember the # exactly), they interviewed the man in charge of the Coleco Holdings Inc where it was talked about. The way it sounded it seemed like the original contracts might have given it more leeway in terms of them being able to rerelease without the need for further permissions. He also mentioned that it was a combination of his company's work along with a lot of work done by AtGames in order to get all the included licenses.

Keith R has always talked about the games for inty being the ol 'dual copyright' with Mattel/Intv holding the copyright on the software, with the original media company with the copyrights to the IP, characters and names. Perhaps with Zaxxon, there wouldn't be any copyrighted 'characters' , and use of the name might have been covered in the original Coleco contracts. (Don't know, just random speculation). Perhaps Mattel's original oft-talked-about legal department covered the bases so 'competently' that it left very few 'grey areas' for future owners to take advantage of :)

gavv

Have the Flashbacks shown up at DG yet? Also has gotten one at DG.com? I was told they would be available at DG.com first week of November but the site has now gone from "coming soon" to "out of stock" on the product page.

Thanks

this could be good news. It means they have added it to the websites internet inventory/shopping cart program

Have the Flashbacks shown up at DG yet? Also has gotten one at DG.com? I was told they would be available at DG.com first week of November but the site has now gone from "coming soon" to "out of stock" on the product page.

Thanks

Actually, the site still shows "out of stock" if you click on the "quick shop" image when doing a search for the product on the DG site. It is only when you click on the text hyperlink of the item's name that you are taken to the page that tells you it is coming soon. Either way, the site is saying it will be "Available in early November", so I don't plan on hitting up the stores again until this Saturday.

Would also make it harder to play with controllers out the back... you'd have to drape them over the top to the front, giving you less cord length. Personally I'd like to see more licensed games and a cartridge port.

I agree. I happen to like the controller ports on the front. Reminds me of the Atari 5200 a bit that way.

As for a cartridge port: I think you can see from the photo above that the PCB is waaay too tiny for that. Unless you put the port on the front, it'd easily double the size of the board or more. Also, since the system is emulated, all the cartridge port would be is a fancy ROM dumper, and it could have compatibility problems with modern game board designs.

If the emulation isn't 100%, it could also run into issues with new games that use the hardware more aggressively. As it stands, the existing games in the unit have some emulation errors.

All this to say that adding a cartridge port opens a huge can of worms and greatly increases the engineering scope and effort. It may not be worth the additional cost unless these things really sell like gangbusters. A cartridge port would make it possible to play the games Intellivision Productions can't ship themselves, such as the TRON library, the Interphase games, etc.

I hear that other FB units that do have a cartridge port are able to do so because they're based around hardware implementations of the system (such as a Genesis on a Chip or the Atari chipset), as opposed to software emulation.

I agree. I happen to like the controller ports on the front. Reminds me of the Atari 5200 a bit that way.

As for a cartridge port: I think you can see from the photo above that the PCB is waaay too tiny for that. Unless you put the port on the front, it'd easily double the size of the board or more. Also, since the system is emulated, all the cartridge port would be is a fancy ROM dumper, and it could have compatibility problems with modern game board designs.

If the emulation isn't 100%, it could also run into issues with new games that use the hardware more aggressively. As it stands, the existing games in the unit have some emulation errors.

All this to say that adding a cartridge port opens a huge can of worms and greatly increases the engineering scope and effort. It may not be worth the additional cost unless these things really sell like gangbusters. A cartridge port would make it possible to play the games Intellivision Productions can't ship themselves, such as the TRON library, the Interphase games, etc.

I hear that other FB units that do have a cartridge port are able to do so because they're based around hardware implementations of the system (such as a Genesis on a Chip or the Atari chipset), as opposed to software emulation.

I've had similar thoughts as well about the cartridge port.

Then add to that the issues above with the issues of being compatible with the ECS and Intellivoice. That's not just getting the electronics right, but the connector has to be placed in the right mechanical location (right height, clearance for the controller cables, etc). Then there is the complexity of what happens when an Intellivoice/ECS game is plugged in without the Intellivoice/ECS hardware. Does the game work with built-in hardware emulation or is the hardware emulation only good for the emulated games?

This is a can of worms. It will cost Keith money to pay engineers to solve these issues.

Then there is the complexity of what happens when an Intellivoice/ECS game is plugged in without the Intellivoice/ECS hardware. Does the game work with built-in hardware emulation or is the hardware emulation only good for the emulated games?

Listening to the voice games on there, it sounds like they're playing canned samples for the voice games, much like INTVPC did on Intellivision Lives. If that's the case, then an unsupported voice game would be mute.

ECS is a bit easier to emulate. For most things, it just looks like extra RAM, extra ROM and a second PSG. Although, if the game needs the ECS alpha or synth keyboards... now what? Where do you plug those things in?

This is a can of worms. It will cost Keith money to pay engineers to solve these issues.

The question is: How many additional units would sell if it had a cartridge port, and is it enough to offset the sunk cost of adding it and the marginal cost of building it in? Something tells me the numbers don't work.

I don't have an MBA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. ;-)

• Like 4