IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

so yer sayin the flashback DOES include some orphan overlays? so lookup a intelly lives on faceboook then? selling overlays for how much or dont we have any info? much cheaper than this character wanting $15 a pair? well last time i went to one of my dollar generals there wernt any consoles either. online the only way to go? guess i wanted to touch it and feel it make the decision on the spot if i want one or not.......scot

so yer sayin the flashback DOES include some orphan overlays? so lookup a intelly lives on faceboook then? selling overlays for how much or dont we have any info? much cheaper than this character wanting $15 a pair? well last time i went to one of my dollar generals there wernt any consoles either. online the only way to go? guess i wanted to touch it and feel it make the decision on the spot if i want one or not.......scot

The Flashback comes with 10 overlay sets for games that are included on the system. If you buy the Sam's version specifically, it comes with 5 extra pairs (so 15 games worth total). Intellivision Productions has indicated that they will eventually be selling a full set on their website. I suspect that if this actually happens, the set will include 60 new overlays for the 60 games included on the Flashback. They aren't exactly like the originals in that they will have the Mattel copyright info removed, so they will be easy to differentiate from the originals.

The UK seller that was recently selling a Flashback with "orphan" overlays was including a mixture of overlays that

1. Were included with the new Flashback

2. Some original Mattel Intellivision overlays

3. Some of his personally created "orphan" overlays, not to be confused with the original Orphan Overlays created by Psycho Showstopper.

He may have had some of Psycho Stormtrooper's overlays included in the bunch, but I doubt it. He clearly makes his own (although he may have stolen some designs).

In my opinion, his $15 orphan overlays are way overpriced. A set of Psycho Stormtrooper's Series 3 overlays runs around $200-250 CIB. Considering it includes ~50 pairs, that's only $4-5 per pair. Sold individually, the original Orphan Overlays go for around $7-20 per pair with an average of $10 per pair. The recent Sears Overlay set went for $150 on eBay and was boxed and included cart stickers...costing only $5 per set. A steal in my opinion (the original set sold for $75).

If you're looking for a Flashback, you should easily be able to find one at a Toys 'R' Us, Bed Bath & Beyond, or Dollar General for $40. With Black Friday coming up, I'd bet they go on sale for $32. Wait to see if Intellivision Productions sells the larger overlay set on their site. I'm guessing they will sell for under $100 for a set of 60 pairs (expect $1-2 per pair).

Hope this helps :)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

A question for current Intellivision flashback owners...

The original Intellivision featured a screen saver (actually a screen blanker) to prevent the screen from burning in when the console was unattended. This was very forward thinking on Mattel's part, but it makes it very difficult to demo the system at parties and such, because when the screen blanker kicks in, everyone thinks that the unit is off!

Does the flashback unit also emulate the screensaver, or will it keep the screen on indefinately? If it's the latter, then this will be a must buy for me.

Oh, another question... do any of the sports games feature a one player mode? I know some of the old console emulators also "emulate" a second player for two player games. If this flashback unit does that, too, that would be a really great bonus! :)

Thank you so much for your time in researching and answering this question! :)

• Like 1

FYI..

I went to the www.intellivisionlives.com website to see if the full set of overlays were available for sale.

The following was still showing in the FAQ “…We are working to make full sets available through our web store shortly…”.
To try and save wasted visits to the website, I thought I'd send them an email to see if I could get an estimated target-date.

I tried both emails listed on the site; [comments@intellivisionlives.com] & [emily@intellivisionlives.com] only to receive an "Undeliverable" reply.

Anybody know what's going on with the site? Hope everything is OK.

StephenJ

Edited by StephenJ

For those interested in my Flashback controller adapter cables ( http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230102-intellivision-flashback-controller-adapters/ ), which allow using Flashback controllers on your Intellivision II or Sears Super Video Arcade...

I put up a video showing how I make them, which could be useful if you want to create your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8uumOVkiNY&list=UU-S2a9l2Ys8MHCnsfhjGtWQ

Thanks to William Culver of The ColecoVisions Podcast for doing the production on the video!

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 2

The 'screen saver' feature depends on the game, but will still be present in the games that showed it originally.

The Flashback has the newer sports titles, which all had one-player modes - even computer vs. computer.

Very nice! Thank you! I wonder if the Atari Flashback V has the same thing--simulated 2 player play on sports games.

• Like 1

To be clear, the Intellivision Flashback runs the original ROMs in an emulator. So the sports games that have one-player modes are the original 'Super Pro' titles released later in the console's lifetime. Those, published by INTV Corporation, were generally well done and substantially different than the original 2-player versions.

I haven't played the Atari FB 5 but assume it's a similar approach. I think many of the M-Network games are on it, but IIRC their sports titles were two-player. If that's the case, then the ones on the FB will be 2-player as well.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

FYI..

I went to the www.intellivisionlives.com website to see if the full set of overlays were available for sale.

The following was still showing in the FAQ “…We are working to make full sets available through our web store shortly…”.

To try and save wasted visits to the website, I thought I'd send them an email to see if I could get an estimated target-date.

I tried both emails listed on the site; [comments@intellivisionlives.com] & [emily@intellivisionlives.com] only to receive an "Undeliverable" reply.

Anybody know what's going on with the site? Hope everything is OK.

StephenJ

As far as we know, comments@intellivisionlives.com has been working. Sorry if you got a bounce from it. We plan to have the overlays ready for sale on our site by Cyber Monday (December 1st).

• Like 7

I'm sure I saw this somewhere in this thread, but now I can't find it. :)

What's the name of the renamed D&D game on the Intelivision Flashback that has that combat bug and what exactly is it?

And how is it possible to play and beat the game by getting around it?

I want to spend some time on the D&D games (and Thunder Castle) tonight.

HI Soulblazer,

The D&D game with the bug was not renamed - it is called Tower of Doom. This is the 3rd installment put out by INTV and is an excellent game - however from what has been said you don't fight a monster when you run into it so you are basically invincible. You would just go through each maze and get to next set of stairs until you finally exit tower of Doom on one of the 9 challenges on game and basically you are done. Believe the traps in game also don't work either - sure someone can confirm. Either way a real shame but sure will get fixed on next iteration of flashback. In meantime, enjoy 1st 2 AD&D games and just use this one to get an idea of what 3rd one is like. It may be your only chance to beat some of the challenges in Tower of Doom as you only get 1 life. Hope that helps. Anyone who has actually played and has more info please feel free to add.

Joe.

I'm sure I saw this somewhere in this thread, but now I can't find it. :)

What's the name of the renamed D&D game on the Intelivision Flashback that has that combat bug and what exactly is it?

And how is it possible to play and beat the game by getting around it?

I want to spend some time on the D&D games (and Thunder Castle) tonight.

however in case you arent aware, dungeons and dragons cloudy mountain is renamed crown of kings on the flashback. Not sure what other ones are on there

As far as we know, comments@intellivisionlives.com has been working. Sorry if you got a bounce from it. We plan to have the overlays ready for sale on our site by Cyber Monday (December 1st).

I ordered the overlay set. I wish you had other stuff for sale that I actually want.

• Like 1