IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Went to Sam's Club yesterday and asked about the availability of the Intellivision Flashback Deluxe Edition. They looked on their inventory computers (not the ones we would use via internet) and they claim they didn't even have an item number for it yet. They told me to check back after the release date, which they couldn't confirm either. So can anyone confirm if the release date for the deluxe editions are the same as the standard editions (10/1/14)?

Same boat but looking for the Atari deluxe with paddles.

Edited by privateers69

Interesting because I see they have the FB4 Deluxe Edition for sale:

http://www.atgames.us/ATARI-Flashback-4-Deluxe-AR2670X.htm

The current model deluxe editions all have retailer-specific logos in the upper left corner. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Atari Flashback 4 Deluxe was specific to one retailer.

I received my Intellivision Flashback earlier today (I preordered it from Toys 'R Us this past summer). I haven't had the chance to try it beyond playing a few of the games for a few minutes each, but so far, I'm very impressed at what AtGames was able to do with it, especially at such a low price point.

The first thing I did was to take apart both the console and the controllers to have a look inside, because that's what I'm programmed to do. I found that the very lightweight console is indeed ~90% empty space inside: the logic board, which seems to host all the main components, is a remarkably small 1.5" by 4.25", approximately. The two hand controller connectors are mounted on its outside edges, and between the connectors, there is one SDRAM chip and one Flash chip (a M12L16161A and a M29W320FT, in case anyone is interested), along with a nickel-sized "glop top" near the center which must be the integrated SoC. The only other components inside are a small daughterboard for the power plug and console switches, and the A/V cables. I haven't looked at the hand controllers in detail, but although I can see some evidence of cost reduction, I was pleased to see that they use the same technology internally as the originals. I understand that the pinout doesn't match that of the Intellivision II controllers because of a design snafu, but this should be easily fixable with a simple adapter.

(EDIT: I didn't realize until now that this has already been done! AtariAge member "nurmix" provided pinout information here, and is offering adapters here.)

I have a few minor nits to pick about the design of the main menu, but it does its job. The biggest difference from the original Intellivision that I noticed during gameplay was in the sound (which always seems to be the hardest aspect to perfect in emulation): the sound effects and speech seem a bit quieter relative to the music, and the music plays at a higher pitch, than on the original hardware. This is especially noticeable in games with lots of music, like Thunder Castle and Snafu and Deep Pockets. It might be my CRT TV, but the colors also seemed to be slightly different from the original system. But again, even though it never quite gave me the illusion that I was using my original Intellivision, the Intellivision Flashback came remarkably close to it, especially at such a low price.

If you consider the total experiencethe graphics, the sound, and the controlsthe Intellivision Flashback is probably the most authentic turnkey alternative to an original Intellivision console that you can get. Emulators running on desktops and laptops can more accurately reproduce the audiovisuals, but they are usually hampered by the lack of original controllers (unless you're one of the few who have interfaced a hand controller to a PC or Mac), and of course they require some degree of setup and configuration. Intellivision Productions' own Intellivision emulator for the iPad only includes six games and doesn't play them at full speed, and you don't get physical controls, either. The earlier Intellivision Plug-and-Play units from Techno Source weren't the original games or the original controllers, so they failed on both counts. I'm sure that the hand controllers and overlays were the most expensive items on the Intellivision Flashback's bill of materials, but they were well worth the investment: having authentic controls adds so much to the experience.

I'll have more to say once I've had the chance to spend more time with it and take some pictures, but so far, I think the Intellivision Flashback is a worthy product. It's an especially good option for players new to the Intellivision, since it provides a sufficiently authentic Intellivision gaming experience while avoiding the common issues with the original hardware and software (age, scarcity, RF-only output, piles of physical cartridges, worn controllers, etc).

• Like 2

Excellent review. I haven't delved deep into all of the original games, but I agree with your assessments. Especially this:

If you consider the total experience—the graphics, the sound, and the controls—the Intellivision Flashback is probably the most authentic turnkey alternative to an original Intellivision console that you can get.

I really don't want to mess with scarcity, RF, or Ebay for this kind of thing. The Flashback, along with Intellivision Lives for the Nintendo DS are nice modern compromises. They replicate some of the nostalgia while eliminating some of the nuisances.

The current model deluxe editions all have retailer-specific logos in the upper left corner. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Atari Flashback 4 Deluxe was specific to one retailer.

According to this link at Sam's Club, there was a specific release for the FB 4 Deluxe:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/atari-fb4-deluxe/prod11550357.ip?sprodId=prod11550357&selectedTab=allProducts&_requestid=307853

Depending on the wait for an Intellivision Deluxe, I may spring for the regular version from TRU. However, it would be nice to have additional overlays, especially for Super Pro Football!

In the meantime, I will look for an Atari FB Deluxe 4 that's cheaper than the ones on AT Games' website. They want to charge $15 just for shipping! That's ludicrous!

Edited by atarifan88

According to this link at Sam's Club, there was a specific release for the FB 4 Deluxe:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/atari-fb4-deluxe/prod11550357.ip?sprodId=prod11550357&selectedTab=allProducts&_requestid=307853

Depending on the wait for an Intellivision Deluxe, I may spring for the regular version from TRU. However, it would be nice to have additional overlays, especially for Super Pro Football!

In the meantime, I will look for an Atari FB Deluxe 4 that's cheaper than the ones on AT Games' website. They want to charge $15 just for shipping! That's ludicrous!

Yeah, I'm just not sure. That previous Sam's Club one might just be distinguished from the standard deluxe by the addition of Millipede. I really haven't kept track of the previous models (AtariAge user "onmode-ky" I believe keeps track of all of the variations as part of his own initiative). I was given the listings from AtGames for all the current models, so I'm pretty sure about those at this point, but that doesn't necessarily preclude them from creating slight variations in 2015 prior to the release of any new models. They've certainly done that before with releases like the Flashback 64.

I will be going to SAMs later today (in hopes of getting my FLashback). Will let you know what I find.

I went yesterday and they were unaware of any of the flashbacks but then again the "Electronics Dept Head" was every bit of 70 years old so I don't put a lot of stock in that info. I am going to try again today!
  • Like 2

I'm so pissed! Last night, TRU had stock available to order online. I couldn't order though, as I was waiting for a new credit card due to mine being compromised. I got my new card this morning and now they're out of stock!

I'm hoping they get more by tomorrow, as I'm travelling to the US next week and was hoping to have it shipped to my hotel.

UGH!!!

Just visited the Intellivsion Lives website and saw this on the right side of the home page:

INTELLIVISION FLASHBACK SUPPORT LINKS (COMING SOON)

• FAQ.
  • User manuals for all 60 included games in both PDF and text files.
  • Image files of overlays for all included games.
  • Link to purchase a set of overlays for all included games.

We will also soon have the Intellivision Flashback available for sale here in our web store.

If there will be an option to purchase all the overlays, then it really isn't necessary to wait for the deluxe version since it won't even have all the overlays included. Buying the whole set would be the way to go!

Just visited the Intellivsion Lives website and saw this on the right side of the home page:

INTELLIVISION FLASHBACK SUPPORT LINKS (COMING SOON)

• FAQ.
  • User manuals for all 60 included games in both PDF and text files.
  • Image files of overlays for all included games.
  • Link to purchase a set of overlays for all included games.
We will also soon have the Intellivision Flashback available for sale here in our web store.

If there will be an option to purchase all the overlays, then it really isn't necessary to wait for the deluxe version since it won't even have all the overlays included. Buying the whole set would be the way to go!

This is good news. I was going to buy the Sam's club version for the overlays. Probably still need to buy the coleco for the extra overlays, unless someone know about a full set being sold also.

I just checked with Sam's club and one of the stores near me said they do not have them yet, but because there is an item number they will have them soon.

Here are the item numbers so you can check your local Sam's

Atari Flashback 5: 842992

Colecovision: 842983

Intellivision: 843057

Sega: Said they did not have anything for it.

• Like 4

Just got an email telling me that the Flashback controllers can now be used on PC-based emulators with this adapter. Pretty neat.

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

Just curious, was this email from the www.intellivision.us or beeslife.com mailing list or some other email?

I am on the mailing list but haven't seen an email in a very long time...