IGNORED

Coleco ADAM using parallel printer and ADAM printer

ed1475

I uploaded a video of an ADAM printing to a Tandy DPM-132 dot matrix printer. The ADAM uses a parallel printer interface card in the middle expansion slot and Orphanware Fastpatch V2.0 software to patch the ADAM EOS operating system. The video also shows the ADAM daisy wheel printer in action.

• Like 3

Great video Ed.

For those that are interested, it is best to stick with an EPSON compatible dot matrix printer (IIRC the FX series, but I'd have to double check) and most of these older D.M.P. did offer dip switch settings that would allow one to reconfigure what standard the D.M.P. used. BITD, we always preferred the Panasonic line of printers (KX-P1080, 1090, etc.) for their great compatibility and good price point.

As far as E.O.S. patch software that needs to be loaded in order for the ADAM to output to a D.M.P., Orphanware's Fastpatch 2.0 was supplied for many years, but later was replaced by Walters Software's Easy Printer Patch. However, your best option to use now is Walters Software's SmartWRITER Elite as it corrects a lot of bugs in SmartWRITER as well as provides greatly enhanced drivers for Parallel Printer output.

The above mentioned programs are available as disk images in the software package downloads I have made available in the past.

• Like 2

The Adam sure had a slow daisy wheel printer. or were daisy wheels always that slow? I don't remember.

Slow and loud, that's for sure. I can't remember off the top of my head what the "characters per second" was, but I seem to recall 10 or 12 cps. I do recall advertising stating 120 words per minute, but they never did state if those words were 1 or 2 characters long or more reasonable lengths to make such claims.

That printer came in handy in high school however, especially with teachers that wouldn't accept papers printed with a Dot Matrix Printer. It also made for a pretty impressive computer setup until I got a separate ADAM power supply, I mean... How many kids had a computer with two printers at that time?

• 4 months later...

Are there any Laser Printers that emulate the FX protocol?

That would be cool! although useless, but then so is using a tractor feed dot matrix printer... says the guy who still has a 24 pin panasonic

Edit:

A quick http://duckduckgo.com search says yes! Laser printer emulating Epson FX mode protocols! ... I didn't search if those models I found have Parallel ports or not...

Edited by ZarK

See, people still print from the Adam.. Hurray!

I uploaded a video of an ADAM printing to a Tandy DPM-132 dot matrix printer. The ADAM uses a parallel printer interface card in the middle expansion slot and Orphanware Fastpatch V2.0 software to patch the ADAM EOS operating system. The video also shows the ADAM daisy wheel printer in action.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for this info..

Great video Ed.

For those that are interested, it is best to stick with an EPSON compatible dot matrix printer (IIRC the FX series, but I'd have to double check) and most of these older D.M.P. did offer dip switch settings that would allow one to reconfigure what standard the D.M.P. used. BITD, we always preferred the Panasonic line of printers (KX-P1080, 1090, etc.) for their great compatibility and good price point.

As far as E.O.S. patch software that needs to be loaded in order for the ADAM to output to a D.M.P., Orphanware's Fastpatch 2.0 was supplied for many years, but later was replaced by Walters Software's Easy Printer Patch. However, your best option to use now is Walters Software's SmartWRITER Elite as it corrects a lot of bugs in SmartWRITER as well as provides greatly enhanced drivers for Parallel Printer output.

The above mentioned programs are available as disk images in the software package downloads I have made available in the past.

Are there any Laser Printers that emulate the FX protocol?That would be cool! although useless, but then so is using a tractor feed dot matrix printer... says the guy who still has a 24 pin panasonicEdit:A quick http://duckduckgo.com search says yes! Laser printer emulating Epson FX mode protocols! ... I didn't search if those models I found have Parallel ports or not...

We used to use a Panasonic Laser Printer with the ADAM and I think the model # was KX-P4450 or something along those lines. Worked great!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so cool!

Not to shabby for a computer that everyone likes to blame for the fall of Coleco. Hmm, seems to be that Coleco continued on for about four more years after abandoning the CV & ADAM and even bought some other toy companies along the way to their fateful end. So it wasn't the ADAM's fault afterall. :grin:

Not to shabby for a computer that everyone likes to blame for the fall of Coleco. Hmm, seems to be that Coleco continued on for about four more years after abandoning the CV & ADAM and even bought some other toy companies along the way to their fateful end. So it wasn't the ADAM's fault afterall. :grin:

Yes it was. ;)

I agree, though it did not help either

Problem was not the Coleco products, problem was management

ALOT of cash was spent buying board games and other CRAPPY toys company

Oooh you could print out some racy RLE's with that setup. Hubba hubba.

Sound of the DMP reminds me of my years working at the airport, they had printers like that at every gate up to a couple years ago to print out manifests and the like - actually might still do.