IGNORED

Possible Sega CD model 1 power problem

relo999

I've recently acquired a asian model 1 sega CD which at first sight the only problem with it was the fuse, but now I've replaced the fuse but it still doesn't power on. Occupationally it flickers its lights for a second (about once every 50 times) but nothing more.

I do use a regular (euro) megadrive 1 AC adapter for it but for the megadrive it self I use a AC adapter for the model 2 master system (which seems to work fine on just the megadrive).

I've did some extra checking as I expected maybe the fuse blew again by repeated attempts at rebooting, which was just just fine.

But the thing I did notice was odd as there was no voltage at the fuse (at least to me seemed odd I'm not a electric engineer or might be using the voltage meter incorrectly)

I've taken a look inside again, this time with more knowing what I did. The adapter does give power to the board, or at the very least partially, as the voltage regulator does work (14 in / 13 out).

Apart from that I've dissembled the whole system (except for the CD area) to for something out of the ordinary, nothing much except for some slight roughness of the power board on the underside under the heat-sink and the battery being replace and soldered with wire into place (but that seems to just fine from the looks of it).

before and after the fuse isnt going to do much except measure the voltage drop across the fuse, millavolts you need to put black to a ground point (like the heat sink of the power board since you have it open

while you are in there see what the voltage regulator is putting out (the 3 pins on the part of the heatsink, middle is ground)

Edited by Osgeld

I just noticed my own stupidity. I've checked the whole power board and I aperently checked the wrong thing.

power_board.png

The actual voltage regulator says ~0.1V in / 0.01V~ out. Which it obviously shouldn't, on both sides, so there seems to be something else wrong...

Edited by relo999

• 4 weeks later...