IGNORED

Bad power supply?

texacala

So last night I fired up my 130 XE and there was no picture -- only bands of white. Bad computer? So I thought, but when I switched in a different 130 XE I got the same result. Broken monitor? Maybe, but then I noticed my SDrive NUXX wasn't powering up. Hmm. So I unearthed an old 800 XL power supply from the garage and tried that and now the NUXX lights up but there is still no picture. So I suspect (and hope) that I simply need a new power supply rated for the 130, but if anyone has had similar troubles I would certainly appreciate feedback. I have been using this set up almost daily for over a year with no prior problems.

So last night I fired up my 130 XE and there was no picture -- only bands of white. Bad computer? So I thought, but when I switched in a different 130 XE I got the same result. Broken monitor? Maybe, but then I noticed my SDrive NUXX wasn't powering up. Hmm. So I unearthed an old 800 XL power supply from the garage and tried that and now the NUXX lights up but there is still no picture. So I suspect (and hope) that I simply need a new power supply rated for the 130, but if anyone has had similar troubles I would certainly appreciate feedback. I have been using this set up almost daily for over a year with no prior problems.

I thought any of the XL/XE power supplies should work with any of those computers.

Your XL supply should have powered it fine?

It depends on how the power supply failed. When some fail they output too high a voltage, around 8 to 9 volts DC, which can damage components. The 800XL power supply should be adequate for the 130XE, most had the same voltage/current rating. You should test the voltage of both power supplies, if one is too high it is likely both computers and possibly the Sdrive NUXX have been damaged.

I would imagine that the nuxx is fine. You probably fried some memory chips and possibly some of the 40 pin chips.

The Sdrive NUXX gets power from the computers +5V supply, too high a voltage could also have fried its ATmega8 microcontroller.

If the Sdrive doesn't work with a good computer this is likely the problem. Digikey does have the ATmega8-16PU for $3.66 and the Sdrive NUXX has a built-in parallel programing connector(if the optional connector/header were installed).

Well, my 800 XL isn't working either so it might be my monitor that's the problem or this other power supply isn't working either. I ordered a new power supply and I will test my computers on a different display and see if I can figure out what happened. Ah, the joys of retro-computing! I just hope my computers and NUXX are ok. Thank you to everyone for the information.

My SDrive NUXX is ok! And the monitor is fine, so it really was the power supply that fried my 130 XE. I have tracked down a new 130, but does anyone know a resource for fixing the old one? I don't know if it could be recovered or not but I would like to try. Just for the record, those Ingot 1.5 power supplies are *dangerous* even though they say "Atari" on the label.

My SDrive NUXX is ok! And the monitor is fine, so it really was the power supply that fried my 130 XE. I have tracked down a new 130, but does anyone know a resource for fixing the old one? I don't know if it could be recovered or not but I would like to try. Just for the record, those Ingot 1.5 power supplies are *dangerous* even though they say "Atari" on the label.

The problem with the INGOT power supply is fairly well known, there have been many posts about this. I had one destroy the 41256 RAM chips in a RamboXL upgrade back in the 80s, it was outputting about 8.5V. I think at the time the 41256 chips were about $8 each, luckily none of the other ICs were damaged.

The Ingot can still be used by adding a 7805 regulator inline between the power supply and the DIN connector, if you do this I recommend using a heatsink since it could be dissipating up to 5W of power. This is what another member of the local Atari user group did with mine at the time, he was a service technician with the local phone company.

I've NEVER heard of other damage beyond the memory chips of one sort or the other. What happens is they operate on the cusp of failure already and when the surge hits they short out internally really fast and draw so much amperage that the 8 volts going in gets dragged down to 2 or 3 and then it can't fry anything else. And that voltage won't light up the SDrive NUXX would be my guess.

Standard operating procedure is to first destroy the bad power supply just in case you feel like plugging it back in years down the road and forgot that it's a machine killer. Then using a good supply, feel all your ram chips for the two or three that are super hot. The bad ones will raise a blister in just half a second so be careful here. Replace just them. Enjoy.

Never try another computer with a suspect power supply until you have spent $20 on a voltmeter and just measure the voltage first. Harbor freight sells them for $5 on sale, spend a buck or two, you could have had only one to fix. But I've done it myself and I should have known better too, I just didn't stop to think about it long enough, so I'll not drag it out. While I'm thinking about it though, Harbor Freight also has IR temp reading devices hand held for cheap, not the $30 gun that Alton Brown uses on his pancake grill either, USB drive size, no aiming spot, just point and click. Read the temp that easy. It can't do high temps though, it just freaks out, but that would suffice as well if the good chips produce a reading.

I've also never heard of all the ram chips going down at once, it's usually just two or three. I've lost count of how many times I've been here and done that. Lightening surge got the last one though, it was always plugged in so it was bound to happen sometime and again another preventable situation if one only put their brain into gear and saw the writing on the wall to begin with. A switchable power strip would have saved the day there, too late now.

Hello guys

If the Ingot's go, toss the stuff that's inside in the recycle bin. Use the housing for something nice, like a SIO2something or MIDI or whatever. Replace the Ingot with one of those more modern, shot circuit proof switching power supplies that look like the power adaptors used on modern stuff (or the XEP80, VCS2600, etc.).

Sincerely

Mathy

Well, I tossed out that power supply because I was afraid I might see it one day and forget it's evil ways ("Oh hey, great! I have an extra power supply!" Yeah, right.) These posts are encouraging though because I want to fix this fried 130 XE. The case is virtually new (it's beautiful) and it was working very well for over a year. So maybe this is my chance to open it up and see if I can learn something about these computers on the inside... Thanks to everyone for the info!

If you don't use more than four of the 9VAC power supplies, maybe using one of these or something similar would suffice for your power issues:

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_ac.htm

"The Pedal Power AC provides two 9VAC and two selectable 9VAC or 12VAC outputs. Features include a toroidal transformer and completely isolated outputs to insure noise free operation. It comes complete with cables and detachable AC power cord. And like all Voodoo Lab products, the Pedal Power AC is hand made in the U.S.A. and carries a 5-year warranty*."

post-27823-0-59041300-1381816092_thumb.jpg

If you don't use more than four of the 9VAC power supplies, maybe using one of these or something similar would suffice for your power issues:

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_ac.htm

"The Pedal Power AC provides two 9VAC and two selectable 9VAC or 12VAC outputs. Features include a toroidal transformer and completely isolated outputs to insure noise free operation. It comes complete with cables and detachable AC power cord. And like all Voodoo Lab products, the Pedal Power AC is hand made in the U.S.A. and carries a 5-year warranty*."

That device won't work; reading the manual it only puts out 600ma per output. The Atari 9v AC bricks are more like 3A...

and lets not forget that the XL/XE line use 5VDC supplies, not 9 VAC.