IGNORED

Youtube video at PRGE knocks Zippy

Sprybug

I wouldn't worry about it, this guy seems to be playing a character that isn't meant to be taken seriously. Even if he is being sincere (doubtful), your game will still impress the majority of others out there. Don't sweat it. :)

Yeah, I'm easily offended especially when it comes to things I work hard on.

• Like 1

Just remember:

"In life, those who can, do...

...and those who can't, teach (make shitty, angry youtube videos complaining about the people who actually do something creative with their lives)." :lolblue:

I wouldn't let it bother you. The folks who appreciate your games, and the dedication required to program them, are pretty much all here in the forums. You have all of our support and admiration. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

He's an idiot who thinks it's funny to be a jerk. He must be envious of the AVGN.

At least AVGN is actually funny a good portion of the time. This guy just thinks he is funny. Between the "Blair Witch Project" shaky-cam video quality and his terrible color commentary, I am not sure what made me more nauseous!!! :lolblue:

What was with his outfit also? Anyway, I had to point out a few things and I'll take Chris's advice and leave it at that. Sonic doesn't have Stars which I understand was just a flub and if the company has to constantly apologize for the guy not being funny then why do they endorse the video?

I too will be ordering Zippy day one. No box for me though as I still haven't given in to that demon yet. It's bad enough having enough carts around that I could insulate my house with them.

• Like 1

Well it is just a "character" and judging by his responses back to me he does seem like a reasonable guy, just trying to make a show. So I'd refrain from bad comments and the like, I'd hate to think that I may have spawned something I regretted doing in the first place, which is why I edited my first message shortly after posting. I jumped the gun.

• Like 2

Well it is just a "character" and judging by his responses back to me he does seem like a reasonable guy, just trying to make a show. So I'd refrain from bad comments and the like, I'd hate to think that I may have spawned something I regretted doing in the first place, which is why I edited my first message shortly after posting. I jumped the gun.

I can understand your desire to just see it go away, and will happily respect it.

Food for thought tho....people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

This guy had no problem criticizing all of your efforts...actually, he hardly put any time or research into the "review" of your game. Anybody can show up to an expo with a video camera and pretend to be a journalist. I'm not encouraging negative comments...I just think he will get them regardless. We reap what we sow.

I was playing Zippy the Porcupine at PRGE 2013 when I heard this tremendous THUD noise.

Turns out it was my jaw hitting the ground after being completely blown away by this game. I simply could not believe I was playing a 2600 title. This game is amazing.

I personally thought Princess Rescue was amazing, and being a huge Mario fan it's a gem in my collection. Now I'm counting the days until the release of Zippy and I plan on being first in line when that day finally arrives.

Edited by Dr Manhattan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the support. Wish I could have met some of you. Maybe I should have hung around the AtariAge booth more. I was in and out and watched people play it here and there. I made a few mental notes while watching people play. The big one for me was the skid factor. I think I'm going back off on the skid a bit. I watched people skid off small ledges left and right. There'll still be skidding, but just not as long. I lost count on how many people couldn't figure the loop out (They kept jumping into it or not building up enough speed to do it), and thinking there were more than 2 levels to a zone and falling down death pits constantly. The manual will help with that. It'll let you know how to accomplish different tasks like the loop and that the zones are just 2 levels high and you will die if you fall down a pit in the bottom level. I saw a few people get to Cave Zone and only one figured out the replicating platform. Everyone else kept jumping off the cliff to death. One person I saw got to Star, which is probably the easiest.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the video but I'll pretend to have a valid opinion anyway. Whoever "made" Zippy the Hodgepodge clearly ripped of Princess Rescue. You can see the scrolling works basically the same. Someone should tell Sprybug.

UPDATE: All kidding aside YouTube is worthless for opinions. Everyone is a troll and the valid comments get deleted or marked as spam. Fuggedaboutit.

Sprybug, some people will be douches. I'm glad you got to witness people playing. The physics do feel a bit weird, and it is very hard to predict how far Zippy will jump with the speed :: height physics. Skidding off platforms compounds the issue. Either way, with some tweaks you should be able to achieve a very nice game engine. I'm not sure how to explain to people the two story playfields. It took me quite a while to figure it out. Not everybody reads the manuals before playing either, even if the game comes with one, so mentioning critical data in there may not be enough. Pitfall II style vertical scrolling would be epic if you could somehow shoehorn it into the game.

My first reaction was that Sprybug was being overly sensitive. Feedback is actually pretty hard to get and should be considered even if negative. I watched the video and changed my mind pretty quick. I left a thumbs down and this comment:

Not insightful commentary. Even the developer was offended.

As long as he is making his opinion known I can also provide some commentary on his own "performance".