Note that the "J" command, like that in ATARI DOS 2, will use

all of available memory to duplicate the diskette: this means that if

memory has been saved using the MEM.SAV file, it will no longer be

valid. Any pending program cannot be restarted after a "C" or "J"

command.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi,

is there a decent sector copy program available that can handle 1.44MB disks?

Cheers,

-Mr.Bacardi-

What disk drive are you using that does 1.44 meg? If I remember, that is a 3.5" drive, double or high density.

My RW13.COM will copy any number of sectors from one disk to another. Use 'partial copy', it will sector copy

an entire disk if you specify low and high sector numbers. It will do single or double density. If you

have something that does high density, it won't work. I don't know of any high density A8 drive.

RW13.zip

Edited by russg

What disk drive are you using that does 1.44 meg? If I remember, that is a 3.5" drive, double or high density.

My RW13.COM will copy any number of sectors from one disk to another. Use 'partial copy', it will sector copy

an entire disk if you specify low and high sector numbers. It will do single or double density. If you

have something that does high density, it won't work. I don't know of any high density A8 drive.

The Black Box Floppy Board supports 1.2MB 5.25" and 1.44MB 3.5" high density drives

Thanks all for the interesting feedback! Mydos seems to have some powerfull options, but what I'm looking for is something similar to "US Copy" by E.Reuss.

Means: can be run from a gamedos, fast loading time, support of extra RAM and easy to use (just set destination drive and start copy).

In my case it should work with my HDI connected to a 3,5" HD floppy drive... :D

The Black Box Floppy Board supports 1.2MB 5.25" and 1.44MB 3.5" high density drives

Mr. Bacardi mentions an 'HDI' device. You mention BB floppy board. Are these high density drives 256 bytes/sector? If so, then I think

RW13 will work. If 512 bytes/sector, RW is out.

What's an 'HDI' device? A Hard Drive Interface?

RW will work up to 65535 sectors.

Edited by russg

Mr. Bacardi mentions an 'HDI' device. You mention BB floppy board. Are these high density drives 256 bytes/sector? If so, then I think

RW13 will work. If 512 bytes/sector, RW is out.

What's an 'HDI' device? A Hard Drive Interface?

RW will work up to 65535 sectors.

Hi Russg,

HDI is a german HD disk interface for HD 3,5" & 5,25" floppies. density is 256bytes/sector.

I will try your RW13, but need to set up my real hw first...

Hi Russg,

HDI is a german HD disk interface for HD 3,5" & 5,25" floppies. density is 256bytes/sector.

I will try your RW13, but need to set up my real hw first...

RW should work. It is slow. You can tell it to sector copy ENTIRE disk. Which just asks for total # sectors

instead of start & end sectors of 'Partial copy'. You could, if you had a hard drive, copy the disk sectors to a file,

then copy the file to a disk. Actually, I think a better, much quicker way would be to use Bob Puff's

Disk communicator 3.2 and make a .DCM of the disk you want to copy and unDCM it to where you want it.

I don't know if DCM will do large size disks. SpartaDOS SCOPY is another way, but SCOPY doesn't work

reliably in my experience.

I just checked. Disk Communicator does any size disk drive. Must specify max sector. It even says it

will format the destination. You just need a separate drive large enough to hold the resulting DCM file.

DCM32 won't take up space with an empty sector, it just notes it as empty and moves on. The result

is a much smaller DCM file. It is fast and reliable.

Edited by russg

RW should work. It is slow. You can tell it to sector copy ENTIRE disk. Which just asks for total # sectors

instead of start & end sectors of 'Partial copy'. You could, if you had a hard drive, copy the disk sectors to a file,

then copy the file to a disk. Actually, I think a better, much quicker way would be to use Bob Puff's

Disk communicator 3.2 and make a .DCM of the disk you want to copy and unDCM it to where you want it.

I don't know if DCM will do large size disks. SpartaDOS SCOPY is another way, but SCOPY doesn't work

reliably in my experience.

I just checked. Disk Communicator does any size disk drive. Must specify max sector. It even says it

will format the destination. You just need a separate drive large enough to hold the resulting DCM file.

DCM32 won't take up space with an empty sector, it just notes it as empty and moves on. The result

is a much smaller DCM file. It is fast and reliable.

Disk Communicator also compresses the file, makes it smaller.

DCOMM32.zip

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

If you are interested, I have an Action! 130XE sector copier (with the source) that is of course for single density. If you (or someone else) that is reasonably fluent in Action! wants to modify it for the HDI, it would not be too difficult. Much easier than converting an asm language program for most folks, IMO. It is pretty "bare bones" but I used it for years, and I think it will run with a mini-dos. It's called "UNICOPY." It is pretty fast -- runs on a Happy at WARP speed using an UltraSpeed driver.

BTW, with MyDos, I always had to tell dos that the PBI drive was a "high capacity drive." The ordinary floppy settings would only do a 720K disk. I always used MyDos or the built-in sector copier with my Floppy Board HD drives.

Larry

If you are interested, I have an Action! 130XE sector copier (with the source) that is of course for single density. If you (or someone else) that is reasonably fluent in Action! wants to modify it for the HDI, it would not be too difficult. Much easier than converting an asm language program for most folks, IMO. It is pretty "bare bones" but I used it for years, and I think it will run with a mini-dos. It's called "UNICOPY." It is pretty fast -- runs on a Happy at WARP speed using an UltraSpeed driver.

BTW, with MyDos, I always had to tell dos that the PBI drive was a "high capacity drive." The ordinary floppy settings would only do a 720K disk. I always used MyDos or the built-in sector copier with my Floppy Board HD drives.

Larry

I'd be interested in playing with that action source...

• 5 years later...

Is there a (patched?) version by now, which can do up to 65535 sectors?

Not really (or I never heard of it). And Diskcomm. or DCM is not used that often anymore, ATR has more or less become the standard. Nowadays we can upload/download a full 90k/130k/180k diskette without any problems and do not need to worry about space or download times... if we need a copy/backup image of a 16MB or 32MB partition, one can simply use ZIP, 7z, RAR, etc. to compress it and save some space.

• Like 1

I'm asking because I recently copied an ATR image of 8000 sectors size to my IDE+ 2.0 with Disk Comm. 3.2, which worked fine:

ATR image (AspeQt) --> DCM file (IDE+, partition 1) --> unDCMed ATR image (IDE+, partition 2)

How do I do that with ATR images of more than 9999 sectors size?

here's our max 720 kb copier (omc65/mac65 compatible listing), should be easy to get it work in higher densities. As far as I remember it supports max 256KiB RAM, also easy to add more. Very dirty code, but copied thousands of floppies ;]

I could tidy it up a bit, convert to mads and translate polish labels if anyone's interested.

MK720.zip

Edited by pirx
  • Like 2

Ah sorry, I use MyDos only, should have mentioned it before. Thanks anyway!

Back in 2013 in this very thread, Mathy indicates MyDOS has a sector copy function built in:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217551-sector-copy-program-for-144mb-disks/?p=2845561

I don't use MyDOS, but it looks like a 1.44MB disk would be copied with this syntax for 5760 sectors?

1,2(1-5760)