IGNORED

Old Video Game Magazines online

jhd

I have compiled this list mainly for my own use, but I thought that I should post it as others may be interested.

Please note that this does not include every single video game magazine for which copies can be found online. I am mainly interested in older, multi-platform console oriented magazines (so no Atari or Commodore home computer titles are listed here, for example). I have also limited this list to sites with content in PDF format.

Online Computer and Video Game Magazines

DP Library

http://www.digitpress.com/library/magazines/

Atari Age – 1982-1984

Big K – 1984-1985

-- also DLH, CMA sites

Blip – 1983

-- also DLH, CMA sites

Classic Gamer Magazine – 1999-2001, 2004, 2010

Creative Computing Video & Arcade Games – 1983

Electronic Fun with Computers & Games / Computer Fun – 1982-1984

(missing last issue, May 1984)

-- also DLH site

Electronic Games / Computer Entertainment – 1981-1985

(missing last issue, August 1985)

-- also DLH, CMA sites

JoyStik - How to Win at Video Games – 1982-1983

-- also CMA site

TV Gamer – 1983-1985

-- also DLH, CMA sites; title merged into Big K

Video Games – 1982-1984 (missing last issue, Fall 1984)

-- also DLH site

Video Games Player / Computer Games – 1982-1985 (scattered issues only)

Videogaming Illustrated / Videogaming and Computer Gaming Illustrated / Video and Computer Gaming Illustrated – 1982-1984 (missing August 1983)

Vidiot – 1983 (missing June/July 1983)

DLH's Commodore Archive - Commodore - Magazines

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/magazines.htm

Computer Language Magazine – 1984-1985

Input – 1984-1985 (UK magazine for programmers)

Micro Adventurer – 1983-1985

-- also CMA site

The Computer Magazine Archives

http://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Compute – 1979-1994 (complete run?)

Creative Computing – 1978-1985 (complete run?)

Family Computing – 1983-1988 (complete run?)

Hardcore Gamer – 2005-2010 (mostly complete run)

Next Generation – 1995-1996

Sega Visions – 1990-1995 (complete run?)

Computer Gaming World Museum

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=0&pub=0&id=500

Computer Gaming World – 1981-2006 (complete run)

Computer Game Forum – 1987 (complete run)

Softline – 1981-1984 (complete run)

Internet Archives: Miscellaneous

GamesTM – 2002-2006 (complete run to that point)

http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Agamestm_magazine&sort=-publicdate

Edited by jhd
  • Like 3

That's awesome. Too bad these sites don't provide a torrent for the whole thing. Bandwidth costs, and I know they wouldn't like people wgetting their whole site. Putting together one big torrent people can download from would be great insurance against these sites disappearing someday.

I have amassed a large amount of retro console gaming magazines in my time, and I may be swayed to part with them.

Let me tell you what magazines I have to the best of my knowledge...

EGM Magazine: July 1993-2008 [most of the years are complete, but a few are not].

EGM 2 Magazine: July 1994-August 1998 [not all years are complete]

GAMENOW Magazine: April 2002-January 2004 [not all years are complete]

GAMEPRO Magazine: August 1993-July 2005 [not all years are complete]

VIDEO GAMES Magazine: December 1990, December 1993-February 1996 [not all years are complete]

TIPS & TRICKS Magazine: January 2003-January 1996 [not all years are complete]

GAME PLAYERS Magazine: June 1993-July 1996 [not all years are complete]

GAME INFORMER Magazine: March/April 1994-August 2005 [not all years are complete]

GAME FAN Magazine: September 1993-June 1999 [not all years are complete]

SEGA VISIONS Magazine: January 1994-February/March 1995

MEGA PLAY Magazine: Volume 4, #5-Volume 6,#3

If you are interested, get back to me...

- Ashley

TALES FROM THE GAME ROOM

I've got the entire print runs of Electronic Games, Electronic Fun, Joystik and Video Games Player/Computer Games. I think Digital Press is off with regards to the last one as the pilot issue of Video Games Player did indeed come out in the fall of '82 but there were no other issues until Aug/Sept of '83 which was the second issue and then changed the name with the fourth issue in Dec 83/Jan 84.

• 1 month later...

I'd really love to find a scan of the last issue (August 1985 / #4) of Computer Entertainment. I had it when I was a kid, lent it to my sister's boyfriend, and never got it back. :( IIRC it had a very funny text adventure spoof in it, and/or a lengthy excerpt from Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

I have Computer Entertainment #1, though the cover is damaged (I cut part of it out to use in a collage). No idea where the other two issues went. I was psyched to get a subscription to Electronic Games, and when it changed into Computer Entertainment I was disappointed, but when the reinvented magazine folded I wasn't surprised -- being a 5200 owner had already taught me to expect that sort of thing. :D

• Sad 1

I'm hoping when Retromags gets their stuff together again, they realize Nintendo Power is dead and allow everyone to upload every issue of the magazine from start to finish including the Player's Guides from Nintendo Power. That would really make my day because that is the only magazine I subscribed to in the classic gaming years.

I wish Underground Gamer didn't have to close, they had all Nintendo Power

No they didn't, they only had as far as retromags got. That's where all the original files came from. They just hosted it in an easier to download form. If I wanted to download say issue 200 I could never find a site that had it.

And no this stuff needs to be hosted on Piratebay and Kickass torrents so everybody has access to it. So more people have the files backed up.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Retromags does have Nintendo Power 1-127. I'm sure in a decade it'll be fine.

Also, there used to be a Nintendo Power Index site but I can't find it anymore. I believe it still exists, Google just buried it for me or something. It's an old site, black on white, basically just lists the games covered in Nintendo Power in alphabetical order so you can go look up the correct issue. Also had the tips sections covered.

EDIT: Just found http://www.angelfire.com/games2/nintendo99/nintendo_power_index.html

It looks like the old site was hosted by Duke, and they shut it down (probably the student no longer goes there and they purged his site).

It's a non-formatted version but it's better than nothing. I'm gonna try to find the old site using wayback and back up his index for real.

2nd Edit: Wayback has nothing. The old indeax was www.math.duke.edu/~mjenista/np_index started in 2007

Edited by Robot2600

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of the owners of Retromags. Just wanted to let you know that we recently relaxed our 1999 rule for defunct magazines. We are now extending up to December 2004, so in Nintendo Power that will allow issues 128-186 to be preserved. We will only hold the 1999 rule in place for the few remaining publications that are still putting out magazines.

Edited by Phillyman

No they didn't, they only had as far as retromags got. That's where all the original files came from. They just hosted it in an easier to download form. If I wanted to download say issue 200 I could never find a site that had it.

And no this stuff needs to be hosted on Piratebay and Kickass torrents so everybody has access to it. So more people have the files backed up.

Ah ok seemed like they had loads of Nintendo mags there, still it was an excellent source for magazines and books

I am one of the owners of Retromags. Just wanted to let you know that we recently relaxed our 1999 rule for defunct magazines. We are now extending up to December 2004, so in Nintendo Power that will allow issues 128-186 to be preserved. We will only hold the 1999 rule in place for the few remaining publications that are still putting out magazines.

This is great news. Now that means the mini guides within Nintendo Power that contain help for Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color games will no longer be cut off in the middle. I believe that also means the Nintendo Power Advance issues can be included too since those came out in 2001. Those were great in depth walkthroughs of the early Game Boy Advance titles such as Super Mario Advance and Lady Sia.

Some Retromags members (wisely) made the move to upload it's collection to Usenet, so it's there for all to download for a good number of years :) ...at least until it expires in about 3 or 5 and it needs to be uploaded again. But it's there for now and you can snag nearly 1000 scans including all existing Nintendo Powers that they hosted in just a few clicks.

http://binsearch.info/?q=Retromags.com+-+2013+Flood&max=250&adv_age=&server=

...'Course the amount of people who know how to use Usenet is kind of shrinking.. so take it for what you will. :ponder:

That's excellent -- I have been looking for Hot Coco online for a long time. I started reading that magazine with the January 1984 issue, so I never got to see the first 5 or 6 issues from 1983.

I just noticed that they are missing all of the issues for 1984. Have these been scanned anywhere else?

Edited by jhd

Okay, Digitpress ALSO has some addictive magazines to read. I had no idea that there were that many short-run pre-crash video game magazines out. Wow!

And that Odyssey 2 magazine has got to be the saddest thing I have ever seen. Not really much to talk about in that magazine.