IGNORED

Nintendo 64-Games you thought were great.

It has a couple of nice classic arcade compilations in the form of a Namco and a Midway collection. Nothing you can't find on more recent consoles but it's neat playing a classic arcade collection on a cartridge based game console since it's usually the type of thing associated with disc based systems. And it gives you something to use the nice d-pad with.

And I'll second the recommendation for Ridge Racer 64. Very nice arcade racer and easily my favorite of the entire franchise.

And sometimes I think I'm the only fan that this game has, but I loved Monaco Grand Prix on the system. Very few console F1 racers in the 3D analog stick era control well yet this one got the physics just right and it's a joy to play with the system's gamepad instead of a chore and constant battle just to go down a straightaway like many of them have been.

Correction: DOOM 64 is an entirely new game.

As is Quake II if anyone mentions that one.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm happy about this thread, I hooked up the N64 recently and bought a bunch of the cheaper ("non-Mario") games, trying 'em out. This is not my favorite system but I figured there's got to be a bunch of games that hold up.

My personal faves recently (other than Mario/Zelda typical games) have been Wave Race 64, Fzero 64, Ridge Racer 64, and Beetle Adventure Racing. We have Mischief Makers (my son got it years ago) but I forgot about it, never played it! I still have to fully explore Road Rage 64, not sure if it holds up well or not but seems "okay" at the least.

Robotron 64 - I forgot about this one, gotta find it.

Monaco GP 64 - I know its super cheap; I'll pick it up and give it a try. I love (good) racers.

Monaco GP 64 - I know its super cheap; I'll pick it up and give it a try. I love (good) racers.

It's much more realistic than most of the N64's racing library though. So I only suggest it if you can enjoy a game like Gran Turismo that treads the middle ground between arcade racers and simulations.

World Driver Championship is a great racer on the system. Lots of track variety, lots of vehicles, some of the best graphics on the system, pleasant yet challenging physics that straddle the line between arcade and simcade, and it has my favorite career mode in a racing game to date.

Some complained about the lack of licensed vehicles but every vehicle is obviously modeled after a real life counterpart so it's a nitpick more than anything. The only areas I'd criticize it in are the lack of rain and the poor soundtrack.

IGN did a nice job reviewing this back in the day if anyone is intrigued and wants more information on it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/06/17/world-driver-championship

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

The entire AKI wrestling series is amazing IMO. And dirt cheap in any commons bin.

WCW/NWO World Tour

WCW/NWO Revenge

Wrestlemania 2000

No Mercy

The sweet spot is the two in the middle....the first of the four is too bare and the last is overloaded with story mode crap.

Revenge and Wrestlemania 2000. Biggest dif is that 2000 has a player creator in which you can make totally overpowered guys. Which is fun in theory but ruins the competitive balance.

The engine is great, the controls are amazing (you have NO ONE to blame but yourself if you suck), and the games are just amazingly fun.

• Like 1