IGNORED

Few people know the Cd-I was the first modern Online Console.

Jakandsig

I noticed the Cd-I is seldom discussed even on this site where people usually go for accuracy. I though I would share that the CD-I was the first modern console in online gaming. Browsing, E-mail, internet, downloads, and even a gold membership (hmm.....Where have we heard that before)

TEPJdSa.jpg

As well as a commercial telling you how it is and works:

It's often stated (and it took me 5 years to get the Wikipedia people to stop reediting even with numerous sources) that the Dreamcast was the first to offer modern online, yet, even MS had a CD for the CD-I online. CD-I also introduced us the PSX which would not exist (nor the SNES CD attempt) if not for their own branded CD-I machines. The CD-I disc format is also what brought us Video CD's and VDV's, and arguably is the most important, and expensive to collect for, system os all time for the modern gaming set-up we see today.

Is this actually built into the system? Because I played Doom on the Genesis online first (through a device called Xband, I believe) Though one of my cousins had one of the game line devices for Atari 2600, or was it Intellivision, which might count as online (even if it's ONLY for playing games) I've also personally been online wiht the N64 and Saturn with third party peripherals. And the game.com not only could go online, it let you do non gaming stuff, though I rarely used it outside of a curiosity.

The Dreamcast is the first system I did "non gaming" things online with though, admittedly (though one device I had on the 64 let you visit one of the old gameshark sites or something)

If the CDI was the first with networking built in, or just the first that let you do non gaming online on it, that is pretty cool though.

Is this actually built into the system? Because I played Doom on the Genesis online first (through a device called Xband, I believe) Though one of my cousins had one of the game line devices for Atari 2600, or was it Intellivision, which might count as online (even if it's ONLY for playing games) I've also personally been online wiht the N64 and Saturn with third party peripherals. And the game.com not only could go online, it let you do non gaming stuff, though I rarely used it outside of a curiosity.

The Dreamcast is the first system I did "non gaming" things online with though, admittedly (though one device I had on the 64 let you visit one of the old gameshark sites or something)

If the CDI was the first with networking built in, or just the first that let you do non gaming online on it, that is pretty cool though.

All your above examples are limited. This is Cross-country online play withdownloads, and browsing.

No it was not build in. It uses a modem add-on. Other systems did that before the cd-i did it, but maybe the cd-i was the first console to support the internet on a console.

I love the system, maybe because it's a underdog, maybe because it's one of the few consoles that originate from my home country. Don't know, but i have a softspot for it.

No it was not build in. It uses a modem add-on. Other systems did that before the cd-i did it, but maybe the cd-i was the first console to support the internet on a console.

I love the system, maybe because it's a underdog, maybe because it's one of the few consoles that originate from my home country. Don't know, but i have a softspot for it

In accurate, later CD-I models had it built in. There are dozens of them btw.

Also it allowed browsing, downloading, E-mail, and WW online play. Something no other console did..

In accurate, later CD-I models had it built in. There are dozens of them btw.

Also it allowed browsing, downloading, E-mail, and WW online play. Something no other console did..

Well i own a 220, a 450 and a 470, non of them have a modem. Came accross a few 205 model, and they don't have a modem. The one with build in tv and radio also lack the modem, so i wouldn't know what models you mean.

Funny, I thought the CDTV came out first. I guess you aren't counting it as a console.

I wouldn't count the cdtv a console. It's more of a computer. The amiga cd32 is the consolized amiga.

But then again, the cd-i wasn't marketed as a games console either until philips shifted its advertising campain to games, and released the 450/550 models.

"Don't believe we spelled can't right"... :lol:

Nice!

Somehow though, this thread seems like an experiment at re-writing history to me. See, I sold electronics at Sears before and long after the CD-i came and went. All the various models, software, accessories, etc. Really can't remember anything having to do with modems, the internet, online play or even the sharing of high scores online. None of the different models (I believe we sold 4 of them) had a phone jack built in and do not remember a modem accessory sold with it either. Had internet capability been introduced for the CD-i by the mid to late 90's, we surely would have had a demo disc for it, modems, etc. Oh and we're talking about the Chicago market here.

Where was someone to even plug a modem into? DV expansion port? Without the extended memory of the DV cartridge, having a tough time imaging a decent Internet experience with only 1 meg of RAM. Then again, the internet wasn't a bloated inefficient attention deficit mess as it is today. ;)

Sold my last CD-i unit about a year ago, but again, don't recall modem or any "internet" features built into any of the games or even talked about on the back of the boxes.

Hmm... interesting claim here. You sure you didn't produce that vid up above Jakandsig? :lol:

"Don't believe we spelled can't right"... :lol:

Nice!

Somehow though, this thread seems like an experiment at re-writing history to me. See, I sold electronics at Sears before and long after the CD-i came and went. All the various models, software, accessories, etc. Really can't remember anything having to do with modems, the internet, online play or even the sharing of high scores online. None of the different models (I believe we sold 4 of them) had a phone jack built in and do not remember a modem accessory sold with it either. Had internet capability been introduced for the CD-i by the mid to late 90's, we surely would have had a demo disc for it, modems, etc. Oh and we're talking about the Chicago market here.

Where was someone to even plug a modem into? DV expansion port? Without the extended memory of the DV cartridge, having a tough time imaging a decent Internet experience with only 1 meg of RAM. Then again, the internet wasn't a bloated inefficient attention deficit mess as it is today. ;)

Sold my last CD-i unit about a year ago, but again, don't recall modem or any "internet" features built into any of the games or even talked about on the back of the boxes.

Hmm... interesting claim here. You sure you didn't produce that vid up above Jakandsig? :lol:

Well let me rewrite history for you: http://cdii.blogspot.nl/2007/06/daves-place-cd-is-way-to-meet-with.html

The modem connected to the serialport on the back. The 400 series player needed a splitter since it came with one serial port. And the dv cart was required as memory expansion.

Ram raid was the only online game for the cd-i, even i didn't know that so i learned some new stuff. Here is the link:http://cdii.blogspot.nl/2007/05/ram-raid-cd-i-online-but-out-of-time.html

Philips would be a fall 1996, before Seganet.

Edited by Seob

Well i own a 220, a 450 and a 470, non of them have a modem. Came accross a few 205 model, and they don't have a modem. The one with build in tv and radio also lack the modem, so i wouldn't know what models you mean.

THere are over 100 models of CD-i. It seems like a dislike of doing research on google then anything.

THere are over 100 models of CD-i. It seems like a dislike of doing research on google then anything.

I'm a big cd-i fan, but like i said non of the ones i have seen included a modem. Only ones that had a ethernet or modem ports are the 600 series players, and they where for the professional market only, so they where not sold to the consumer.

So don't say i don't use google, because i may use it more then you know. Would be nice if you could communicate in a respectfull manner.

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

Over a hundred seems a little absurd, even for the CD-i. Do you have links to a listing of every model ever made? I for some reason doubt it's more than a couple dozen at best.

Over a hundred seems a little absurd, even for the CD-i. Do you have links to a listing of every model ever made? I for some reason doubt it's more than a couple dozen at best.

Yes hundred is way to much. It's more like 40 or so models from about 11 different manufacturers. http://www.philipscdi.com/players.htm Most models are just rebranded 450/470 models.

Hm, if the Famicom/NES had online capability, so did the Intellivision and the Atari VCS, I guess Intellivision was the first, if wiki is to believed, but the Gameline for VCS was more advanced with online banking, news, email (which didn't happen because of the crash in 84).

But I believe the OP meant with 'modern', not 70s/80s, more like early 90s.

Edited by high voltage

I'm a big cd-i fan, but like i said non of the ones i have seen included a modem. Only ones that had a ethernet or modem ports are the 600 series players, and they where for the professional market only, so they where not sold to the consumer.

So don't say i don't use google, because i may use it more then you know. Would be nice if you could communicate in a respectfull manner.

No, I was bl;unt and truthful. There are more than the few models of CD-I then what you have seen but based what few you have you jumped to a random assumption.

Yes hundred is way to much. It's more like 40 or so models from about 11 different manufacturers. http://www.philipscdi.com/players.htm Most models are just rebranded 450/470 models.

No, Cd-I association would be a better link. Includes the multiple versions including rare ones (although not all have descriptions stating differences) and it's well over 100

No, I was bl;unt and truthful. There are more than the few models of CD-I then what you have seen but based what few you have you jumped to a random assumption.

Don't like the tone you speak. Is it so difficult for you to speak in a normal way?

If you know so much, why not show the cd-i players with built in modem. Here's a link with about every cd-i on the market so please point me in the right direction: http://www.philipscdi.com/players.htm

• Like 1

No, you were being rude. Also, you never answered the question regarding which CONSUMER based units provided the functionality you're referring to.

• Like 1

I say who cares? Even if he was capable of taking the time to properly educate, present facts, show proof and discuss in a civilized manner vs. taking the defensive elitist stance, there's only a single stinking game to show for all of this hullabaloo anyway and it's called 'Ram Rod'? Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? Get real and I'm NOT talking about the 3DO! :lol:

Here's a not so random assumption: The CD-i has about as much in common with online/internet play as toe jam does with toast. ;)

Edited by save2600