IGNORED

Joysticks & the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

That's kind of a gamble. Going through my old collection recently, I tried my TI controllers. Completely dead, so I opened them up. There's a foam ring inside that was rotting away, this pretty much ruined any electrical connection. Foam rot can happen just due to age, not necessarily excessive use + age. I'd want to see the opened set tested for function before bidding on the lot of them.

As I recall, they did work ok, but took a lot of force for their size and quickly wore out with heavy use.

-Ed

Now this is much better! The stick requires very little force to move, and the base allows for good grip. This kind of joystick is best suited for quick repetitive action games like Crossfire, while the Prostick or TI joysticks are better suited for less frantic action. That said, my Crossfire score has only increased to 4300, so I'm going to stop blaming the joysticks here :D

Epyx joystick

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

About 30 years ago I decided the TI joysticks needed an Atari 5200-like make-over. I recently found a sheet of graphing paper with one of the designs. This is only one of several sheets I remember drawing, including a very specific pin-out of the controller interface which had to be inserted between the keyboard and the mainboard to activate the FCTN keys, as well as a second design which put the stick in the same position as the TI controllers. (Even back then I rather liked the TI controller; proof that I am not just being contrary :))

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/11121-atari-5200-inspired-sticks-for-ti/

• Like 1

About 30 years ago I decided the TI joysticks needed an Atari 5200-like make-over.

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/11121-atari-5200-inspired-sticks-for-ti

With all the technology and talent at our fingertips now days, I bet this is possible, if others are willing. We have 3D printers to make the templates for a mold, and guys who know how to use the printers. We have a guy who makes molds. He have guys that can make PCB's. I bet if a kit could be made up (with all the parts) we have guys that would be willing to buy.

Possibly start a poll, see who's onboard. If others get onboard, I'd be willing to chip in on a 'crowd funding' of a project like this. We already know a 15pin socket would do the trick. I'm ready to see a new toy become available for our long-lived little orphan.

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for a Wico TI-99/4A joystick adapter. They're everywhere when I don't need one and not to be found when I do. Does anybody have one they would like to be rid of?

I have zero skill trying to fabricate stuff like this. I'm worse than terrible, so I know I can't put one together from the plans like many of you can. I'm going to have to find one for sale somewhere. There are none on ebay now, and I'm not prepared to wait a long time for one if I can avoid it.

I found a web site in the UK called CoolNovelties that make an adapter. I like the look of it. With shipping it is $21.52. Sold.

When it arrives I will share with the group and let you know whether it is worth it.

nm

post-46258-0-27877200-1481661869_thumb.jpg

Edited by nethermind

Arcade Shopper sells new joystick adaptors that have a passthrough and optional whip for sale.

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/p/76477502

If I'm not mistaken, Greg opted not to do the pass-thru in order to keep the price down (which is always a good thing)

And just to add to the discussion, my particular favorite DB9 joysticks are:

- the Epyx (completely correct Vorticon, except I find my index finger wants to revolt after extended play, love everything except the fire button position)

- the Slik Stik (tiny button, but exactly the right throw for frenetic gameplay)

- my favourite though is definitely the Recoton (with the giant red button and yellow ring).

The latter feels like a really good Atari 2600 stick (post heavy sixer - the actual heavy sixer remains the best joystick ever out of Atari).

My Recoton is original era, and has been used on and off with emulators and real hardware for 30 years, and although they are a bit more « mushy » than they were when I bought them, they still function perfectly.

Very few joysticks can lay claim to that longevity, so if you see one of these they are worth every penny!

post-40994-0-76683600-1481667639.jpg

post-40994-0-99824400-1481667752.jpg

what is a passthrough?

Nothing. It was scrapped. Basically, the port would have been a third connection on the adaptor that would be the equivalent of no adaptor at all. Passing through the Atari joystick ports for direct connect to the console. There are special reasons for this that would cater to a few. Something to do with another peripheral that connects there being plugged in with joysticks at the same time. Edited by Sinphaltimus