IGNORED

Yak plays a game

GroovyBee

I bet I could beat his score ;-) just sayin' ;-)

I didn't beat his score, but some people who played it today were pretty good (especially that young lad whose Dad gave him some really good tips as he played it over and over).

I'm just gutted Minter was there when I was off playing his new game (TxK) and didn't get the chance to nudge him towards my Jaguar :lol:

BTW, you Inty fans must have thumbs of steel... my thumb/nail is ultra tender after playing HB and Rocketeer.

Wow, score of zero points? Or did he roll it over?

He got 5202, he's OX.

Minter also tweeted news of this:

https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/388957064178835456/photo/1

• Like 3

I didn't beat his score, but some people who played it today were pretty good (especially that young lad whose Dad gave him some really good tips as he played it over and over).

I'm just gutted Minter was there when I was off playing his new game (TxK) and didn't get the chance to nudge him towards my Jaguar :lol:

BTW, you Inty fans must have thumbs of steel... my thumb/nail is ultra tender after playing HB and Rocketeer.

He got 5202, he's OX.

Minter also tweeted news of this:

https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/388957064178835456/photo/1

Ah! I thought he was "Yak" (as per the title of this thread...).

Could be PERFECT ! We should have to sign a petition to motivate Groovy Bee to finish the game

Have you not seen the video on my YouTube channel? Did you net see that Minter played and enjoyed the game?

The game is all but done, has been for a while.

and give it to William ? :)

lol.jpg

• Like 6

That this game never gets released by Elektronit is a fact, but I am curious if Jeff Minter may allows Groovy to release it? I am no lawyer, but I think Jeff holds the copyright to the title and if he likes it, why not?

After I just read about beeing insulted as a "Groovy sycophant" I dont have any guilt pangs by buying this game from Groovy Bee. By the way, its pretty clever to call people sycophants who buy all Elektronite releases at day one. Some people will never learn it, seriously.

• Like 4

Jeff could probably pay back any money received from Elektronite, or (and I'm no lawyer either so it's just an idea) revert the licensing agreement because Elektronite is not actually producing the game after all, depending on the details of the agreement. Or they just wait until Elektronite's rights expire and release the game afterwards.

Ah! I thought he was "Yak" (as per the title of this thread...).

I figure YAK may be one of the default score names, as it is Jeff's usual nick. Since Yak was already there he chose Ox.

Jeff could probably pay back any money received from Elektronite, or (and I'm no lawyer either so it's just an idea) revert the licensing agreement because Elektronite is not actually producing the game after all, depending on the details of the agreement. Or they just wait until Elektronite's rights expire and release the game afterwards.

That really doesn't sound very Minter-ish, does it? Cash deals for back-catalogue IP in tiny niche fanbases? I'd be fairly shocked to learn that there was a formal contract or that money has or was expected to change hands at any point. To me, I've always thought of Minter as some kind of flower-and-beastie-powered dissident in the gaming world, he's always gone about his thing in challenging or just unconventional ways... wanting a slice of a remade crusty classic from a tiny group of superfans seems at odds with everything I've learned about the man. Don't think I shall be dining on corvus consommé with this one.

• Like 3

That really doesn't sound very Minter-ish, does it? Cash deals for back-catalogue IP in tiny niche fanbases? I'd be fairly shocked to learn that there was a formal contract or that money has or was expected to change hands at any point. To me, I've always thought of Minter as some kind of flower-and-beastie-powered dissident in the gaming world,

Maybe you're right, but then again his extravagant clothing and 500 GBP haircuts just need paying. :D

• Like 4

Isn't this William's game? I mean as far as rights and money that has been paid?

I read the PM. I saw a $2000 payment for a milestone, I saw disagreement further down the line leading to no a lack of progress and then I saw the said ROM effectively being made public domain when it was posted to AtaiAge for public consumption.

You can't put that genie back in the bottle. Personally speaking, that's not something I would have done with a $2000 investment, but then again it would never have been something I'd have been throwing that kind of money at in the first place.

If Elektronite want a way forward they should quit the puerile name-calling and rabble-rousing, put it out on cart as a beta and recoup their money. People will buy it regardless of content, as sales of empty boxes have demonstrated, a collector's instincts virtually guarantee it. The existence of a public ROM means little in this regard, we give out full version games freely and people still want to own the physical and official copy. If they can't man-up enough to do that then simply stfu and write it off against other projects and move on while they still can. But whatever happens, stfu should be top of the to-do list for everyone's sake.

Seems easy to say it now, but something like this happening was inevitable because they way these deals are being done is so utterly unprofessional. You can't play at it - you either do it right 100% legal on paper formal agreement and everyone knows where they stand or you just don't get involved. There are simple lessons to be learned here and I can see *BAD* in *BOTH* sides of the disagreements...

This following essay is for anyone involved with making/producing games. It's not of concern to gamers, collectors or anyone on the periphery - it's solely for those who are involved with the actual process of game creation or all the other stuff that comes along with it.

Step the fuck back and explain to yourself why you do what you do. Making games should be about the fun of making games. About the rush you feel seeing the enjoyment others take from your efforts. About the respect and appreciation of your fellow bedroom game makers/indies/whatever you want to call them and the discussions you enter into regarding each others works. About the awesome feeling of achievement when something you worked towards matches or exceeds your hopes and expectations or even the determination it gives when things don't quite hit the mark. About the fun you can have working as a team to create an interactive experience for others to enjoy. Whatever floats your boat, whatever it is about making games that makes you enjoy it so much, that should be your main concern.

The disciplines involved are varied but as a whole it's an art same as any other: music, dance, painting, whatever.. yet it has even more far-reaching possibilities as the creations are interactive, people get to explore them, possibly in ways unintended when created. If the simple act of creating allows you to channel your muse or simply gives you something better to do that passively watching TV, then it's all good, positive stuff for the soul so keep at it and wring the last drops of pleasure from it.
Where it all gets incredibly derailed and perspective often gets way-sided is when another element is introduced into the equation, the source of many of the world's ills... cue Douglas Adams:
“This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.”
Fuck the small green pieces of paper and all those who live by them - when you bring money into the equation the chances that everything will go tits-up sky-rocket. The more cash, the larger bea arthur's funbags and the higher they'll soar. OK, side-tracked...
I was shocked when I learned of the numbers involved with HB... jaw dropped when it was revealed this was only a third of the total agreed on. What the fuck is going on when these kinds of sums are being thrown around to make these things happen for 20 or 30 year old games machines? Where and why the hell did it ever come to this? I'm all for the self-funding aspects of homebrewers, reinvesting any money that comes in to make your creations easier to realise and to widen your hardware arsenal and accumulate the works of your peers and fellow creatives, but multi-thousand-dollar ransoms... fuuuuuu.....
I used to be very anti-cash-money when it came to any of this, I didn't think a single penny needed to change hands. But then over a period of years I began to see things from the collector's side and from the retrogamer's perspective and I saw the fun and feeling of accomplishment when your games no longer just exist as files on someone's computer, but physically exist as professionally manufactured CDs or cartridge in a box... but this kind of stuff, 3rd parties existing solely to fund these mercenary productions, it's so fucking against the whole spirit of what homebrew should be about... seriously... when I see a small publishing company such as one I work with, RGCD, taking a whopping 50p or a pound profit on selling a £20 or £25 game, investing a ton of hours making releases happen like crazy on C64 and evolving the community, all I can say is W T F at the news of thousands of dollars being handed out for 32k of code and brixxels like this...
Shits. Fucked. Up.
I'm almost certain that if that man Jeff Minter was to see all the fallout from this and learn of the sums involved he'd tell you *ALL* to go whistle, unless you do it on a fair and pro-community basis. Full disclosure: we've been producing physical copies to own now for about 4 years or so. After shipping something in the region of 600 or so games, our current profit and loss account and what we've collectively got out of it stands at about £40 in cash, a Jag CD unit including post to Australia, free copies of our games to all our members and a box of proto flash carts to experiment with and a box of empty cartridge shells (not preaching or being holier-than-thou, but that's how it is for us and I want to put it on record having said the rest above).
Anyway, meh, I'm sure I'll just be slagged off as being yet another evil red european trying to enforce his filthy ideals on the fully signed-up right-slanted commercial machine that is hom£brew game$ 2013...
  • Like 2