IGNORED

Vectrex Dark Tower prototypes? What are these?

Blazing Lazers

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what exactly is in this recently ended Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectrex-Unknown-eproms-Dark-Tower-/350892397064?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=N32yNllLWsdDLccslgJ9p6rPjDs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Are they actually Vectrex prototypes? EPROMS? Junk? And how might one go about reading data from them?

Any insight is most appreciated here :)

I've only got 4 vectrex games but they all have 24 pin chips the ones pictured have 28. The games I have do have 4 unused contacts on the board. It is likely the proto chips did have 28. I'm not sure if any released titles used 28 pin EPROMS but you would need an existing cart that could accept the new chip in order to test them. Or you could make your own but that would be quite a trick. If they are real proto roms it would be extremely cool! Did you buy them if so good luck and please post your results.

I've only got 4 vectrex games but they all have 24 pin chips the ones pictured have 28. The games I have do have 4 unused contacts on the board. It is likely the proto chips did have 28. I'm not sure if any released titles used 28 pin EPROMS but you would need an existing cart that could accept the new chip in order to test them. Or you could make your own but that would be quite a trick. If they are real proto roms it would be extremely cool! Did you buy them if so good luck and please post your results.

So then they actually could be Vectrex prototypes? Neat. The same seller also had several other items contemporary with the Vectrex, so even if they are copies they could still be interesting. And yes, I did win that auction- to my surprise by being the only person bidding on it. I hope I haven't just gotten gypped on the auction...

So then they actually could be Vectrex prototypes? Neat. The same seller also had several other items contemporary with the Vectrex, so even if they are copies they could still be interesting. And yes, I did win that auction- to my surprise by being the only person bidding on it. I hope I haven't just gotten gypped on the auction...

Congrats on the auction! There is a version of the prototype game out there that is very playable. If you could somehow compare the game on those chips and the available ROM, that would be awesome! If the version on those chips is a later version, you could release it and probably resell those chips for a nice profit:D

The 24 pin chips (I forget the chip number) are for 4k games I believe, the 28 pin chips are for 8k and above. Dark Tower was going to be a 12k game afaik so this fits quite easily. The 24 pin chips I have for the Vectrex all have 4k programs on them, including the code used in the film Android.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the date codes on the chips are all in the 1990's. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to dump them, but they are not prototypes.

I just went and actually clicked on the link and the description says they are homemade copies. :ponder:

Mitch

congrats on winning! i was thinking of bidding, but i didnt know what they were. i assume they are real prototypes, but i guess you never know