IGNORED

Suggest a Game for me?

SoulBlazer

So, I tend to enjoy playing two different types of games -- casual games (like old 2600/arcade/Xbox Live games) where I can fire up and play for like 15-60 minutes when I don't have much time and just want to game quick, and longer games, which I can sink time into on the weekends or the occasional weekday night.

For about three years now it's been a 'policy' of mine (I guess you can call it that :) ) to have one longer game on hand for me to play on my Xbox 360. During that time I've played (and enjoyed) the following:

Skyrim (had done the previous ES games in the past)

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas

Mass Effect 1-3

Dragon Age 1 and 2

Now I just finished off my last longer game (Dragon Age 2) and I'm not sure what to get next.

Can anyone make some suggestions? I'd love to find something similar to the above games.

The game needs to meet this criteria, please:

1) Available (or works) on the Xbox 360.

2) Has RPG, Adventure, Strategy, or Sim elements

3) Has at least 50 hours of game time (can include all side quests/optional stuff)

4) Available for $20 or less (not a lot of money to spend right now, and I tend to get more bang for my buck with older games)

Thanks in advance!

Batman: Arkham City. This game looks gorgeous, has RPG-style, Adventure and Strategy, has a good story and you can play it by pieces.

So far I've one month playing it ocasionally fifteen minutes to one hour. I'm a bad gamer, so it's pretty exceptional that still I'm playing this game :)

Edit: $18.29 USD, it's an old game :) (3 years or so)

Edited by nanochess

Risen was a very well done action RPG game I thought. Not as polished as some of the other games you mentioned, the graphics are a bit on the rough side, but I recall it's a lot of fun, and it's $19.99 new on Amazon.

I have Risen 2 as well, but have yet to play that one. I've heard it's decent, but not a good as the first one.

If you enjoy turn based games, there is an old 360 RPG Lost Odyssey. I had a lot of fun with that game. It looks GREAT (very polished) and had a enjoyable if sometimes over dramatic story (they tried their darndest to make the player cry I think). You may be turned off if you don't like turn based combat. New on Amazon it's pretty expensive but they have used copies under $15 shipped. Well worth it in my opinion.

An RPG I played and finished much more recently than those last two was Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. Another action RPG game I really liked. I liked some of the soundtrack so well, I ripped the CD (the game included the soundtrack on CD) to my PC. I loved being able to turn into a dragon and fly around, finally reaching those previously out of reach areas, really adds to the feeling of exploration. The graphics while not on par with Skyrim were decent enough. There is a new copy on Amazon right now for $27 shipped.

I've started Witcher 2 haven't really played enough to comment. Nudity in the first few minutes is a plus! The control seems too loose. Might just be due to playing other slower games. I've started this game twice, so far it hasn't made me want to rush home and fire it up...

On the other hand there's Dragons Dogma. Another title I've been playing for a bit, but not sure what to think of. It seems ridiculously hard, but I think my issue is I am exploring too much, and taking on too many side quests without first following the main story and leveling myself up. It's making me want to keep playing, but damn I've died like a half dozen times! It seems pretty ambitious, you can hire pawns that travel with you, and level them up, but other people can also borrow and play with your pawns which gives them experience about upcoming quests and loot and stuff that you can keep. I really don't know too much about how it works, but it seems very cool. I've been playing the game for a couple hours, but don't feel like I've scratched the surface, like I said, I think you need to follow the main quest at least at first. Get your powers leveled, and get your group leveled. Very cool game so far.

On the other hand there's Dragons Dogma. Another title I've been playing for a bit, but not sure what to think of. It seems ridiculously hard, but I think my issue is I am exploring too much, and taking on too many side quests without first following the main story and leveling myself up. It's making me want to keep playing, but damn I've died like a half dozen times! It seems pretty ambitious, you can hire pawns that travel with you, and level them up, but other people can also borrow and play with your pawns which gives them experience about upcoming quests and loot and stuff that you can keep. I really don't know too much about how it works, but it seems very cool. I've been playing the game for a couple hours, but don't feel like I've scratched the surface, like I said, I think you need to follow the main quest at least at first. Get your powers leveled, and get your group leveled. Very cool game so far.

Stick to it. I was having a hard time till I got to Gransys. Switch to another vocation after you max one out (sorcerer and strider are easiest for a new player) because augments (skills) from each vocation carry over to the next. In other words an augment that increases stamina for a fighter will carry over to an archer.

Examples:

Fighter--->Strider

Strider---Fighter

Sorcerer--Mystic Knight

Sorcerer--Fighter--Mystic Knight

If I had the 360 version you could friend me and hire my pawn for free but I'm playing the ps3 version. Carry lots of herbs and mushrooms for stamina and extra oil for your lamp and at the beginning always bring the max amount of pawns to help out. Its really dangerous. Mix them up like one Mage to heal people, a Sorcerer or archer. CapcomUnity the pawn available from Capcom is helpful and he is free (I think). Also always use the Eternal Riftstone (which didnt exist in the original game) to teleport back to Cassardis or Gransys to rest and heal up. Pick up lots of stuff and pack them on the pawns then deposit them in your stashbox. Everything is used later on in the game to upgrade weapons and armor. There's a LOT to this game. Do not try Bitterblack Isle until your at least level 45!

Whew...anything else let me know. I loved this game and I just finished Bitteblack Isle last week.

Edited by cimerians

Whew...anything else let me know. I loved this game and I just finished Bitteblack Isle last week.

It seem frustratingly hard. I'm underground in an area with all these tentacle, that simply respawn if you try and kill them. After dying a few times, I finally gave in an switch to easy mode. It's better, but I feel like I'm just barely surviving.

I keep hitting dead ends. I'm I guessing I need to backtrack and find a lever to open closed gates, but the tentacles are everywhere.

I'm at like level 15 but don't feel like I've done much of anything except try and stay alive. Was this game trying to be like Demon's Souls ?

It seem frustratingly hard. I'm underground in an area with all these tentacle, that simply respawn if you try and kill them. After dying a few times, I finally gave in an switch to easy mode. It's better, but I feel like I'm just barely surviving.

I keep hitting dead ends. I'm I guessing I need to backtrack and find a lever to open closed gates, but the tentacles are everywhere.

I'm at like level 15 but don't feel like I've done much of anything except try and stay alive. Was this game trying to be like Demon's Souls ?

lol...they are unbeatable you need to just run the hell out of there.

Your doing fine and for some reason the game doesnt tell you so you assume you have to fight but the only option is to run back out of the place. I died a few times there until I asked my friend and he said you cant kill them and they try to prevent you from leaving. Also, if a pawn dies there do NOT stop to rescue them....they will rejoin you outside or you can bring them back via the riftstone. When you trigger the tentacle boss just run back up the stairs where you came from, you shouldnt have to pull any levers if there are side passages that take you around the (closed) gates.

No its far from demon souls you simply got stuck in a place where its not obvious you need to just run to continue. Thats the ONLY time this happens.

Edited by cimerians

No its far from demon souls you simply got stuck in a place where its not obvious you need to just run to continue. Thats the ONLY time this happens.

Haha Well I guess I am doing pretty good then, because I did explore everywhere I could and got some nice equipment from a chest locked behind a gate you had to fight an armored skeleton for, and got some nice experience. I would just shut gates on crazy hard monsters on the way down and pick away at them in complete safety! When killed the monster would open the gate and continue. My pawns have gone down about 10 times but I always revive before they can die. I'm glad you replied. Fixing to boot the game back up, when I do, I'm outta there! (It should be noted, if you leave and go back in, the tentacles, are gone. Wish I had know that!)

Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a Dragons Dogma thread! It is a good game though SoulBlazer, and I think it's like $19.99 new on Amazon.

You have played the same heavy hitters that I have played for the 360.

I would second Tales of Vesperia. That's easily 50 hours if not more. Watch out for getting price gouged. Gamestop wants over $40 for a used copy and I've seen sealed copies in mom and pop places between $20-$30. It is not really that rare.

• 2 months later...

Update -- so I finally placed a order on Amazon. I had gotten busy with some other games and things going on in real life.

I ended up getting Lost Oddessy (really love turn based RPG's), used complete for $20, and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (which has a lot of great people behind it and got great reviews), used complete for $15.

I figured I'd buy two in case I hated one so I'd still have something to play. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll let you guys know.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingdoms of Amalur. Maybe cause it's a EA published game? ;)

But the reviews are very good, the company that made it is quite solid, and some really great talent behind it. I've become a big fan of action/RPG games (I consider the Elder Scroll games, Fallout 3, and New Vegas to fit into this category) so it defentily looks promising.

If you ever need another longer game, try Deadly Premonition. It is available for 360 and is pretty long with side missions (probably 40-60 hours depending). It is a horror-survival game similar in story to Twin Peaks. Graphically, it is probably on par with PS2 games, but that's no big deal for most of us here. It is probably one of the weirdest, most fun games I ever played. It retailed on day one for $20. Can't beat that. I believe it holds a record for something like 'Most Critically Polarizing Horror Survival Game' :thumbsup: .

Edited by iswitt