IGNORED

Bombjack

bfg.gamepassion

Hi,

here is some WIP of my bombjack version. I've just finished some ennemy IA for testing purpose. Seems that i have a bug with the player who is teleported on top of the screen sometimes (not on video) and i don't know why and how to reproduce the bug ... Need testing on real hardware.

Edit : Seems the teleport bug appear on emulator when i use my capture video tools ... Very strange. Really need heavy testing on real hardware to be sure.

http://youtu.be/ChngjZTXdS4

Edited by bfg.gamepassion
  • Like 10

Looks good! Though, you might not want to use so much black in the background if the player is also mostly black.

For example, in the first screen: the bushes might look better of they were dark green/light green instead of medium green/black.

Very good idea ! I'll try that as soon as possible ! Thanks !!

I had some weird things happening in monster bash with all the tiles i was replacing for the candle and lightning effects and it would cause sprites locations to change for no reasons at times and i would sometime get a few bad garbage tiles to appear when switching tiles on the fly other times. what solved my problem was calling i noticed when i wasted a few cycles every other frame with a delay(1) it made my problems go away and i was able to remove all my extra enable nmi calls per each tile redraw on the candle animation. I see you are replacing a heck of a lot of tiles with the bombs as the player collects them and might be the same issue. just for fun try putting a delay(1) in your main game loop and try it for a while. if that does work the only down side is you might need to recalc the timing of the game to compensate for the delay() as i did in monster bash.

Russ

I usually do for my gameloop. Sometime if I think something may lag the game or something that update the screen, I use task management trick, if(frame==1 || frame==3){}. Nanochess taught me a trick that you can use the border change to see where on the screen vdp is drawing. It seems to help determined if the game is going to lag if the screen is totally gray, but if it green for the entire screen and there's a gray bar in the top border then it is fine.

I usually make this kind of gameloop

while(game==1){
if (frame==1 || frame==3){Function;}
game logic and stuff

paper(2);
delay(1);
paper(14);}

I treat delay(1) as vsync. If I need to know how many time the NMI is called, then I'll set a variable to zero right after paper(14);and have it print a number right before paper(2);. Then add variable++ to the NMI loop.

I hope this helps with your problem.

I usually do for my gameloop. Sometime if I think something may lag the game or something that update the screen, I use task management trick, if(frame==1 || frame==3){}. Nanochess taught me a trick that you can use the border change to see where on the screen vdp is drawing. It seems to help determined if the game is going to lag if the screen is totally gray, but if it green for the entire screen and there's a gray bar in the top border then it is fine.

I usually make this kind of gameloop

while(game==1){
if (frame==1 || frame==3){Function;}
game logic and stuff

paper(2);
delay(1);
paper(14);}

I treat delay(1) as vsync. If I need to know how many time the NMI is called, then I'll set a variable to zero right after paper(14);and have it print a number right before paper(2);. Then add variable++ to the NMI loop.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Thanks for posting this! coool trick indeed! Glad i wasn't too far off with delay(1) :)

Russ

I had some weird things happening in monster bash with all the tiles i was replacing for the candle and lightning effects and it would cause sprites locations to change for no reasons at times and i would sometime get a few bad garbage tiles to appear when switching tiles on the fly other times. what solved my problem was calling i noticed when i wasted a few cycles every other frame with a delay(1) it made my problems go away and i was able to remove all my extra enable nmi calls per each tile redraw on the candle animation. I see you are replacing a heck of a lot of tiles with the bombs as the player collects them and might be the same issue. just for fun try putting a delay(1) in your main game loop and try it for a while. if that does work the only down side is you might need to recalc the timing of the game to compensate for the delay() as i did in monster bash.

Russ

No, the problem not appear when changing tile when taking bomb ... Very strange things, that happen only when the emulator video capture is ... capturing ...

Just to show you how i do that :

void nmi()
{
	if (nmi_renderBomb==1)
	{
		nmi_renderBomb = 0;
		for (k=0;k<MAXBOMB;k++)
		{
			myBomb = &bomb[k];
			myBomb_allume = &myBomb->allume;
			myBomb_x = &myBomb->x;
			myBomb_y = &myBomb->y;

if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_NORMAL)
			put_frame0(&bombGfx,(*myBomb_x),(*myBomb_y),2,2);	
			else if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_ALLUME)
			else if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_DETRUIT)
			{
				(*myBomb_allume) = BOMB_NULL;
				buffer2screen((*myBomb_x),(*myBomb_y));
			}
		}
	}
}

When a bomb is taken, i redraw all the bomb in the nmi ... And when i'm copying/pasting the source source, i see that's totally stupid ... I have only to redraw the background for the taken bomb :) :) :) Sometimes talking with other coder, open your eyes :):)

No, the problem not appear when changing tile when taking bomb ... Very strange things, that happen only when the emulator video capture is ... capturing ...

Just to show you how i do that :

void nmi()
{
	if (nmi_renderBomb==1)
	{
		nmi_renderBomb = 0;
		for (k=0;k<MAXBOMB;k++)
		{
			myBomb = &bomb[k];
			myBomb_allume = &myBomb->allume;
			myBomb_x = &myBomb->x;
			myBomb_y = &myBomb->y;

if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_NORMAL)
			else if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_ALLUME)
			else if ((*myBomb_allume)==BOMB_DETRUIT)
			{
				(*myBomb_allume) = BOMB_NULL;
				buffer2screen((*myBomb_x),(*myBomb_y));
			}
		}
	}
}

When a bomb is taken, i redraw all the bomb in the nmi ... And when i'm copying/pasting the source source, i see that's totally stupid ... I have only to redraw the background for the taken bomb :) :) :) Sometimes talking with other coder, open your eyes :):)

Great to hear you found a way to improve your game! Great job on bomb jack so far! looks amazing!

Russ

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

So I ran across the WIP ROM today poking around the internets and I thought it looked FANTASTIC! So of course I had to search around and found this thread. The WIP was obviously way earlier than what I'm seeing in the videos in this thread and I just wanted to add one more voice saying I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to whenever it gets released!

So I ran across the WIP ROM today poking around the internets and I thought it looked FANTASTIC! So of course I had to search around and found this thread. The WIP was obviously way earlier than what I'm seeing in the videos in this thread and I just wanted to add one more voice saying I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to whenever it gets released!

I agree this looks great and very promissing. But I still say bfg.gamepassion should remove all black pixels from the far backgrounds and keep black for platforms and in-game objects, to increase the impression of depth. :)