IGNORED

RPG Project

ponlork

Oh man I'm super stoked about this : D I've added some new animation and a hurricane kick special move. To do the spin kick, press Down, Back then Fire. I may even add fatalities. Unfortunately I can't work on this for a while. But when I come back, I'm going to focus primarily on the fighting game aspect. See y'all in November.

fighting_street02.bin

post-37240-0-09379300-1382777528_thumb.jpg

Edited by ponlork

Ponlork: the girl sprite looks good. It's almost kind of comical having such a sexy detailed protagonist yet building the enemies out of playfield sprites.

I think it'd be fun to have an "invasion of the chunky pixel men" theme for a game like this. It probably wouldn't work here since he's already using color playfield stripes, unless they showed up as shadows (I don't know what bB's capabilities are as far as asymmetrical playfields go). Another possibility for representing them in the game world would be to render them using missiles, animated in such a way as to make them look like dust devils.

The dude's arms almost have a partial swastika thing going with one going up and the other going down. Most people will only notice that subconsciously, giving the dude a nefarious vibe to him.

Funny, the first thing I saw when I looked at him was the stock Odyssey2 "man standing still" character, which I suppose evokes a bit of the same effect (and was frequently used to denote evil robots, a frozen or dead player, etc.)

mousepad.jpg?height=350&width=350

Dang, she looks good for a monochrome girl: I like the "Game Boy" aesthetic!

Oh man I'm super stoked about this : D I've added some new animation and a hurricane kick special move. To do the spin kick, press Down, Back then Fire. I may even add fatalities. Unfortunately I can't work on this for a while. But when I come back, I'm going to focus primarily on the fighting game aspect. See y'all in November.

I think it'd be fun to have an "invasion of the chunky pixel men" theme for a game like this. It probably wouldn't work here since he's already using color playfield stripes, unless they showed up as shadows (I don't know what bB's capabilities are as far as asymmetrical playfields go). Another possibility for representing them in the game world would be to render them using missiles, animated in such a way as to make them look like dust devils.

That sounds fun ^^ I would like to have a mixture of comic relief characters and more aesthetic looking characters. Something like the Wizard of Oz where all of a sudden we may see munchkins or a tinman XD I'm not exactly sure of Batari's capabilities either, I'm really a low level noob programmer. I can tell you what I did though, I used player0 and player1 to create Leda's battle sprite. So that should leave the playe0 and player1 Missiles available, as well as the ball and playfield pixels.

Currently I'm using the player0 Missile to create a 8px wide rectangle box to represent the enemy in the town. However for most of the battles, I intend on making the encounters random where you don't actually see the enemies on screen, it may just switch to a battle screen after every few steps to indicate that you're entering a battle.

I might switch up the battle formats too where it'll alter between the traditional turn-based RPG style to the classic 2D fighting game style, depending on the boss. I'm a very scattered person, nothing I do is planned so whatever I'm feeling at the moment is what I'm going to roll with it.

I'm a bit embarrassed to show my code because it's very amateurish. If people were to see it they would realize how simple I am lol two plus two, it equals four. I'm sure someone with the expertise in programming can make it much better. I just try to lay out a blueprint. I suck at computers and numbers honestly, I still don't know what ROM is, I know what RAM stands for but i don't really understand what it's supposed to be for. Random Access Memory :D

Funny, the first thing I saw when I looked at him was the stock Odyssey2 "man standing still" character, which I suppose evokes a bit of the same effect (and was frequently used to denote evil robots, a frozen or dead player, etc.)

mousepad.jpg?height=350&width=350

Wow what an amazing similarity. I haven't even played the game before. I didn't put much thought into drawing him though. You know it's crazy, I can't draw with traditional pen and paper, but drawing by pointing and clicking on a mouse using pixel art seems like something I might be capable of doing well. My technique is I start doodling and dragging a bunch of dots around on screen until my eyes start to envision something, then I let my eyes do the wandering. It never ends up the way I initially plan. Like I may try to draw boobs, but it ends up looking like a butt lol so I just go with it. I'm probably going to go back to vbb's built in sprite editing program for all my sketches from now on XD It's the only way I know how to draw.

Dang, she looks good for a monochrome girl: I like the "Game Boy" aesthetic!

Thank you. I just may keep the battles in black & white, similar to a Japanese manga. Unless I have room to add color I will. I was also thinking about including large sprites during key moments in the battle, like I can imagine a scene with a clash of swords, then it'll switch to a close up shot of the characters, then give it a pan effect from player0 to player1 so it'll work around the Sprite limitations. I'm pretty sure that can work. I was also thinking about having disappearing/re-appearing platforms where the fighters can jump on. Or maybe have a boss that can levitate you, then you start taking flight and fighting in the air lol I dont know I'm just fantasizing.

It sucks I'm only working with 32k, I'm still hoping that there'll be a 64k multikernal framework coming soon. That'll be perfect. Or maybe when I'm done a professional can clean up my code to take up less space. Because I don't know anything about memory, bits, kilobytes, etc I just use it until it's empty lol well at least I'm breaking the stereotype that you need to be a genius in order to design a game. I'm a high school dropout, averaging less that a 2.0 GPA, never went to college, and I've only had one job in my life which was a minimum wage job. All I have is ambition, motivation, inspiration, and drive. I think if someone of my low IQ intelligence can make something from scratch within a week, I'm sure any average person can do it if they really want to. My advice for beginners is to avoid reading a bunch of complex manuals or conversations about complicated technical stuff. All that stuff does is discourage me XD speaking for myself of course. i just jump in and start with getting something to display on screen. Once I can get a image to display, I try to make it move, if I can get it to move then that's all the motivation I need. just work from there and let my imagination run wild. Most of it has to do with discipline i think, most people don't have the attention span or patience to sit around experimenting for hours.

Edited by ponlork
  • Like 1

It sucks I'm only working with 32k, I'm still hoping that there'll be a 64k multikernal framework coming soon. That'll be perfect. Or maybe when I'm done a professional can clean up my code to take up less space. Because I don't know anything about memory, bits, kilobytes, etc I just use it until it's empty lol well at least I'm breaking the stereotype that you need to be a genius in order to design a game. I'm a high school dropout, averaging less that a 2.0 GPA, never went to college, and I've only had one job in my life which was a minimum wage job. All I have is ambition, motivation, inspiration, and drive. I think if someone of my low IQ intelligence can make something from scratch within a week, I'm sure any average person can do it if they really want to. My advice for beginners is to avoid reading a bunch of complex manuals or conversations about complicated technical stuff. All that stuff does is discourage me XD speaking for myself of course. i just jump in and start with getting something to display on screen. Once I can get a image to display, I try to make it move, if I can get it to move then that's all the motivation I need. just work from there and let my imagination run wild. Most of it has to do with discipline i think, most people don't have the attention span or patience to sit around experimenting for hours.

With your "if i can do it; you can do it" ethos, you may have just convinced me to dive ass-deep into this "homebrew" stuff, and start creating rather than just consume it. :grin: :thumbsup:

I got a good eye for sprite art. Look at my avatar: It's a custom 3D Mario sprite I designed in 3D Dot Heroes (PS3 voxel based RPG game). I assembled that thing in real life out of 12mm dice.

I also built several arcade-style jumbo game controllers, which actually see regular use with my consoles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157629736738048/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157634800361528/

I used to program games in TI-Basic on my TI-83 plus calculator back in the day due to extreme boredom during study hall. I've dropped out of college so many times it isn't funny. Sad part is i only have 8 hours left to finish my Electrical Engineering Technology degree, but I completely lack the movitation to finish school. It's really that damned last math class aka "Calculus for Electronics", Technical writing, and two puny physics labs that I can't be bothered to do the lab reports for. My university (Louisiana Tech) offers Math 223 only once a year and I've taken it every year and either dropped it or flunked it for six consecutive years. At 32 freakking years old, it is time for me to move out of my mom's house and get a job, I guess... :_(

I also feel bad for making my fiance wait all this time while I procrastinate my life away... :_( :_(

With your "if i can do it; you can do it" ethos, you may have just convinced me to dive ass-deep into this "homebrew" stuff, and start creating rather than just consume it. :grin: :thumbsup:

I got a good eye for sprite art. Look at my avatar: It's a custom 3D Mario sprite I designed in 3D Dot Heroes (PS3 voxel based RPG game). I assembled that thing in real life out of 12mm dice.

I also built several arcade-style jumbo game controllers, which actually see regular use with my consoles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157629736738048/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157634800361528/

I used to program games in TI-Basic on my TI-83 plus calculator back in the day due to extreme boredom during study hall. I've dropped out of college so many times it isn't funny. Sad part is i only have 8 hours left to finish my Electrical Engineering Technology degree, but I completely lack the movitation to finish school. It's really that damned last math class aka "Calculus for Electronics", Technical writing, and two puny physics labs that I can't be bothered to do the lab reports for. My university (Louisiana Tech) offers Math 223 only once a year and I've taken it every year and either dropped it or flunked it for six consecutive years. At 32 freakking years old, it is time for me to move out of my mom's house and get a job, I guess... :_(

I also feel bad for making my fiance wait all this time while I procrastinate my life away... :_( :_(

Woah now when I look at that, I see it as way too advanced for me XD but I think anything that someone isn't familiar with will seem complicated until one actually starts training on it, then the more you know, the less daunting it is.

Well I did take Basic when I was in the 10th grade. During that time I didn't own a computer, and I needed to look at my hands while I type. This was during the SNES era and I always dreamed about making videogames. When I went in it was more like a math class. No mention of videogames at all. There was no graphical interface either, it was all text and we had to use these big ass floppy disks lol I just couldn't grasp anything so I quit within the first few weeks. I never returned the book either XD I still got it, I'm going to try reading it again one day.

Oh man in high school I was unbelievable dumb. I was held back like 3 times in science and math. I didn't even understand the concept of credits, going to college, or anything. My parents are from Cambodia and they grew up in a very peasant like environment so I really had no support. I wasnt born in the states either so I was sorta like thrown into school completely dumbfounded lol The highest math course I took was Geometry, or was it Algebra? I forgot, but if it involves letters or parenthesis my brian turns to jello. My first time getting a PC was during my senior year of high school. I had windows 98, to give you a taste of how slow I was, when I would see the "You have performed an illegal operation" error, I would shut off the computer, run and hide shaking under my blanket thinking the cops are going to come arrest me XD true story. I would refrain from downloading images for years because I thought it cost money lol

Now with the internet you can just search for answers and get exactly what you're looking for super quick. Before I had to comb through a textbook, and when I'm reading something that doesn't relate to what I'm looking for, I start to doze off. It's much easier now days.

I would suggest people start on small projects first. My first time making a game was actually for the PSP. I used something called Luaplayer which is like a interpreter to read Lua scripts I believe. It's much easier than Batari Basic. At least for me. I had more options available. Luckily there was a ton of tutorials out there that let me follow along step by step. The first game I created was actually well received. It's a simple trivia game where a question pops up and you have to input the correct answer. The kicker is that it's a Learn Japanese game. So that kept my interest because I thought it could be useful. if I was making a simple pop quiz type game I probably would have lost interests. So I always try to find something that keeps me inspired. Because when you're working on something that you feel you can be proud of, then it becomes more meaningful.

I moved out the nest in 2012. I'm in my 30s too lol but I'm now back at my mom's house just to eat. I was recently laid off a few months ago. So now I'm just trying to hustle and save money until I get back on my feet. I really should put the hobbies aside and focus on making money but dammit it's sooo addicting. Especially when I'm inspired.

Some people are good at scholastics. Some people are creative. Sometimes that's not the same person.

Learn. Love. Have fun, man!

Fa sho. I think the key is to stay motivated and enjoy what you're doing. Even if it you're not enjoying it anymore and it becomes tiresome, keep your eyes on the prize. It's the prospect of completing the project and having something meaningful that you can feel proud of, that's what keeps me inspired.

I really think with the tools and resources available today, anybody with the drive and determination can do it. I give props to the real programmers who built the thing. They're the ones who simplified it enough to allow simpletons like me to create something XD they're the real backbone and pioneers. It's a shame that they don't get enough credit though.

But at the same time I try to view everybody equally. An analogy I would like to make is that it's similar to producing a movie. Yes the director seems to get most of the recognition and praise but there's also the animators, composer, script writer, actors, sound department, I view it as a collective effort. There's a goal we set out to achieve and we should all band together and help each other out to get to the finish line. No one person is better than anybody and nobody should be placed over anybody else in the level of importance. I know this is a controversial topic because there's a lot of egos involved but that stuff just creates division. I can take constructive criticism, people can say whatever they want about me. I've been called the dumbest to the most cleverest. Only thing I'm focused on is getting things finished. Less time worrying about ego means more time to get something done. Sorry am I digressing here? I tend to go off the rails sometimes XD It's just I've read some topics before about programmers undermining the creative people and the visionaries like we're nobody and I always found that to be a bit elitist. Just speaking from a regular person's view. I know we're not intellectually superior and all but you need us as much as we need you, and I say that with no disrespect.

I just try to work with what I'm given, and focus on my strengths rather than my weaknesses. I'll never be a math guy who can do fancy special effects so I'll focus on something else such as plot, when I say plot I mean boobs XD even if there's limitations I may work around it, like some may say what's up with the flicker, i may say.. shit it's lights and shadow. Or they may think the storyline doesn't make sense, I may say it's a dream. So it doesn't have to make sense. Who cares just keep working and find aways around things. People worry too much about the technical stuff sometimes, they need to expand their mind and use their imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, making a game is no easy task. It's extremely difficult and requires a lot of time, energy, effort, willpower and dedication to complete a project. I'm saying it has more to do with a person's desire and willingness to persevere than it does with someone's intellectual capabilities. Even the best programmers have a difficult time making something with substance. Sure anybody can make a simple tic tac toe game, but making something that is profound and leaves a lasting impression on people, something that involves more than just shooting a bunch of bits and bytes on screen, that is no easy task. And doing it on a 2600 just makes it much more difficult because you constantly got to worry about staying within the confines of the hardware's limitations.

Edited by ponlork

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP. Any updates?

Thank you for maintaining continued interest in the project ^^ I really appreciate it. The project is still fresh in my mind. The past few weeks I started immersing myself in another hobby of mine which stemmed from this project which is drawing. I've been doing a lot of drawing lately, I'm having aspirations of my childhood dream of making my own comicbook XD

I'm having the urge to get back to work on this game. Maybe in a couple more days I'll go on a crash course to refreshen my memory. I never really abandon a project, I am just very scattered. I made a PSP homebrew before, and I went 2 years once without a single update, and once i came back the PSP homebrew scene had diminished substantially XD I still obsess about making updates and adding new features all the time. It's mainly for my own enjoyment. Even if nobody's interested I still want to make it mainly for myself because it's fun being imaginative and I enjoy seeing worlds I create come to life. Anyway, thanks again!

Edited by ponlork

• 5 years later...