IGNORED

Super Paper Mario: A good game, good price

Unbeliever

This past Saturday, I happened across a copy of Super Paper Mario for the Wii under the "Nintendo Selects" titles for $20.00 at Best Buy. I picked it up (it was one I was looking for) and now I'm finding the game is most fun, if you don't compare it to the other two titles in the series. A few points that I'm enjoying:

The retro look is phenomenal during certain events, such as the mini "Mario's" that accompany you, and in particular, the GIANT pixelated Mario you become to stomp everything flat.

Music seems pretty darn good, from boss fights to levels.

Action sequences are well done in general.

The RPG elements, although not dominant, are still there but much more subtly. This I expected before I bought the game.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but I am finding some of the dialogue VERY tedious. Lots and lots of dialogue in many places. For those that have the game, or even the previous titles and this game, what are your thoughts? Was this, in your opinion, a "must own" for the Wii?

-Steve

Yikes, part of me couldn't stand it because I was a huge fan of the SNES Super Mario RPG and also the N64 and Gamecube versions of Paper Mario that did have strong RPG elements.

I finished it the same year it came out on the Wii. I felt it was just a platformer where you annoyingly had to revert to 3D and back to 2D which hampered play a bit but at first made it interesting. In the end I found it tedious where I just wanted to play a platformer and not bother with the 3D mechanic.

Good but not great. Not a must own for everyone but for Nintendo fans how can you not own all the mario games for the system? :)

I was let down but I can't say its a bad game cause its not. Like you said if you haven't played the older games and are not expecting the same thing its pretty good.

Edited by cimerians

I have to admit that I was "colored" by the Gamecube version. I think the primary reasons for purchasing this title was the price point, and it is a Mario game (which is something everyone must have if they own a Nintendo product). And like you, the 3d/2d switching does get old...accidentally hitting the "A" button all the time (okay, most of the time) is frustrating, which I find myself doing mostly because I'm not used to the Wiimote yet. :(

...accidentally hitting the "A" button all the time (okay, most of the time) is frustrating

lol...I remember that. Sometimes I would yell out loud "damn it!" cause I would hit the button on accident so yeah it happened a lot to me too.

I think if they kept with the RPG elements and toned down the constant switching to only select areas or puzzles I may have liked it even more.

It's been a while so I can't remember too much of it but I remember towards the end of the game I just wanted to play and not have to switch back and forth anymore.

I think I screamed out several obscenities the other night, as I would all of a sudden rapid-fire switch between modes. I see in the 3ds release they went back to focusing on more RPG elements. The good thing is I can go "back" to the Gamecube version and play it on my Wii (when I find a copy, that is) for the RPG-style. Don't get me wrong: I DO like platformers and enjoy the constant action of this game, and it's'a Mario...what can I say? I have had a thing for the plumber for years now. He NEVER gets old. :D

I played about 2/3rds through it, quit, and never went back. There were definitely parts that I thought were cool, but it just got a little tedious for me. It's not even in the same league as the other 2 PM games for me.

That said, for $20 you could do a lot worse.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Too little action, too much blah blah blah blah intended to make 10 year olds chuckle. I know it's meant to be an RPG, but I was really disappointed in this one after having played Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

I wasn't sure it was actually meant to be an RPG, actually, thus most people hated it that have played the previous versions. I read that they wanted (the developers) to make it more "action orientated" versus RPG'ish, but wanted to keep some of the RPG elements (item usage, for example) intact. They decided to take a different tact with the series, something different with their brand new system back in the day.

I don't know...I actually chuckled during some of the conversations. ;) And I'm 47. Guess I'm a 10-year old kid inside. :P

• Like 1

The writing and characters in the original Paper Mario and 1000 Year Door were just fantastic (I was in my 30s when I played both of those), but the writing in Super Paper Mario was nowhere near as good. Because it's a platformer with some RPG elements isn't bad in and of itself, I just think it didn't turn out very good.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I can't argue that point with the story line between the three versions. The first two were epic, however I didn't own the N64 version (did play it though). I'm not certain what they were trying to accomplish overall with the Wii version, but you need to take this game from a solo perspective, even though it's part of the Paper Mario franchise. Comparing it to the first two games makes it much less stellar than rating it based upon itself, for it's own "unique" game play elements. The price point was good, it's Mario, so I'm all happy with this game and it gets lots of love and attention from me. :)