IGNORED

Tunnel & Trolls

bfg.gamepassion

I had a chance to test this game at CGE, as I was smack next to the CollectorVision booth with John and Jason all weekend.

This will be an incredible game. A long lost and worth addition to the ColecoVision catalog. A true adventure/RPG that hearkens back to Alcazar and Apshai, with D&D type lore throughout. Can't wait to see where a long play might take me!

Great work to all involved!

• 3 months later...

I received this yesterday and played it through in my first sitting. It was a lot of fun and I couldn't put it down and ended up having to draw a map. Initially, I printed out a simple grid on paper to just pencil in the path of each screen, but once I finished the game, I decided to do a graphical version as well. I'm posting two graphical versions here for anyone who would like to benefit from them.

BE WARNED!!! DO NOT download and view this map if you want to figure the game out for yourself.

Below are three versions: one with blue/purple path marking, one with dark red path marking, and one without graphics. Perhaps one of these will have better readability for different ppl. The doors and dark area are marked on all three. The Fire room is marked only on the graphical maps. I've played through multiple times and the Fire room has always been in the same location, but I'm not certain that it doesn't change. Items are not marked, as they may appear in various rooms that are dead ends, although certain items have always appeared in the same place during my playthroughs.

post-9364-0-23893900-1420411019_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-39014400-1420411032_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-85877300-1420411571_thumb.jpg

Tips:

• Don't waste your ammo on Trolls or Skeletons at the start of the game; avoid them instead. Wait until you have more force so you waste less shots taking them out.
  • If a monster is blocking your path and you are conserving ammo, exit and re-enter the screen until they're placed in a location that's out of your way.
  • Ammo item pickups refill more than ammo recovered from slain enemies. If your ammo is nearly maxed out for your current force level, save the Ammo items until you need a refill.
  • You can get stuck in the game, leaving it unwinnable if you unlock the wrong Blue door first. I won't say which it is, but perhaps right is right?

• Like 3

Thank you!

I did a laser print on a semi-glossy sheet of paper and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Makes a nice addition to the package, I think. :) If anyone else wants to do this, just pm me and I can email the higher resolution file (it's just over 6MB).

post-9364-0-72841300-1420441352_thumb.jpg

And this is my high score so far. I'm sure there's a LOT of room for improvement.

post-9364-0-78411800-1420441363_thumb.jpg

KevinMos3... Awesome job on those D&T maps and tips! :thumbsup:

I'm impressed !! I'll have to make an harder sequel :) :) With procedural dungeon ;) (All the routine are done on PC, must find time to make a game with that ! :) )

I would love to see a sequel with more features. :)

Have you find the game easy ? Normal difficulty ? Hard ?

Have you had fun playing with it ?

At first I thought it was very difficult because I was running out of ammo very quickly, but after playing for a bit and deciding not to kill everything that moved right away, I found it to be very easy. So far, I've beaten it with the Archer, the Wizard, and the Thief. I still need to finish as the Warrior.

Yes, I enjoy it quite a bit, although the replayability may not be as great as I thought at first. It seems some of the major items (torch and rings) are always in the same location (or at least they have been so far), so it could use a bit more randomness. However, I was very impressed and I'll definitely go back for more from time to time. Awesome game. I look forward to playing more of your work in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a copy from Collectorvision. Really looking forward to playing this game. It really takes me back to the old Dungeons & Dragons days of my youth. I loved Venture, but it was more Carnival than D&D. This game looks fantastic. Thanks for breathing new life into my Colecovision!

• 1 month later...

I ordered Dungeon and Trolls from Colecomaster back in Jan, never did get it. I contacted him and he said it was sent. Lesson learned is to get a tracking number which i forgot to do. :x :_( Probably lost or stolen, oh well, i'm NOT buying another one that's for sure....f$$k it!

Edited by Rik

• 2 weeks later...

This was discussed a while ago, but I'll bring it up again. The naming-I think using the Tunnels and Trolls licence would be great. The people at Flying Buffalo, which owns the T&T licence, are pretty chill as far as I can tell. Its a pretty small and nostalgic operation, kind of like the Blue Sky Rangers. I think they'd be thrilled to have somebody finish the game. Just because we only have screenshots for the opening screen, that doesn't mean that that was the only work that's been done-has anyone been in contact with the people who worked on the T&T game to see if there was further coding completed?

• 2 weeks later...