IGNORED

Could Atari 8-Bit Core be Implemented in Mist FPGA?

bbking67

you can switch between them, as you please :)

the chip is only programmed as long as it have power, so it have to load which system you want to play with. every time it start up.

I'm curious about how this works, is it as simple as a menu selection from files saved somewhere, or are you blasting this w/ a burner/jtag/something?

I'm curious about how this works, is it as simple as a menu selection from files saved somewhere, or are you blasting this w/ a burner/jtag/something?

With the current ST / Amiga cores, it's literally selecting the core from the on screen setup menu and then boom you're a different computer! :D

With the way it exists right this moment it seems better to have the A8 core and files on a separate SD card, but I'm sure that will improve shortly. :)

• Like 1

:( I was planning on buying a Mist until I found out it currently only supports VGA. I have all my devices connect to my Sony PVM20M2MDU RGB monitor.

To be fair, your situation is probably unique in that regard. While I would think HDMI/DVI would be preferred at this point for maximum flexibility, it's not really a lot to ask to have a display with an available VGA port on hand. Certainly the MIST's price point indicates it's not exactly for casual usage either.

1088 ram - trivial

covox - trivial

dual pokey - already present

switchable os rom - already present (but should be able to have a folder with n roms...)

cart rom emulation - planned

vbxe - fine by me, but ask VBXE devs - it's already hdl I think, so doesn't make sense to reimplement...

New version up...

1088 ram: added

covox: added ($d6xx)

With new firmware (as yet unreleased) it also really speeds up sd card access. Which paves the way for virtual carts...

Need to back port these changes to the other platforms - I'll have to set up an automated build with a mostly common hardware description. Otherwise this will get painful!

Edited by foft
  • Like 6

I bought the Mist FPGA yesterday, I'm very excited. I decided to go the route of a VGA monitor in stead of a converter box to my RGB monitor. Any suggestions on a VGA monitor, CRT, LCD, etc.

thanks

I use an older Dell UltraSharp 19" (model 1908). It's a few years old and easy to find at used computer resellers or even thrift shops if you get lucky. Here's what I like about it:

- it's 4:3 aspect ratio

- has good image quality

- supports DVI and VGA

- tiltable to portrait mode (great for MAME!)

- Height adjustable stand

- has a built in USB hub (good for charging things or used as a hub)

- real buttons

- OEM Soundbar optional

- Silver/black colour scheme closely resembles Atari XL styling

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-1908fp-19/4507-3174_7-32415166.html

Edited by bbking67

With putting that firmware on since it speeds up SD access quite a lot.

Also worth the latest core (20140312) since the previous version was not playing nicely with the ARM for SD access...

It sure does speed it up. :)

For the first time I've now seen Numen, and on 'actual' HW. 'tis a beautiful thing... Thank you foft! :D

Wow the Atari XL / XE core looks amazing. Now I need to find someone to repair my mist board. Bought it off a friend who needed money and the second time I used it, the USB power port popped off the damned board. I have no soldering skills what so ever.

It looks like there is a place for stronger concentric powerplug on the board.

https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/wiki/PwrDcJack

I think send this to lotharek, or for example me, or another person near you with soldering skills and "just do it".

It is a 5-minutes work. Well, with drilling 10 minutes.

Look around for some radio service and radio-shack for power connectors.

Edited by jhusak

• 2 months later...