IGNORED

Rip Cord

RKGames

Finally started working on Rip Cord! This should also be the return to my bi-weekly video updates, for those who liked my side trak dev video series!? Been looking forward to working on this game for some time! The next videos will include play on the real coleco hardware!

Take care,

Russ

Edited by RKGames
  • Like 13

Kewl! Another vaporware title set for release! Yoo-hoo! :D

Okay, so some questions:

1) Will there be an arcade mode, with black & white graphics?

2) Will you be putting in skill levels like in all the early Coleco arcade ports?

Nice work so far, anyway. :)

Yes i'm planning on an arcade mode. as well as a New Missions mode with 30 to 40 levels with different layouts! I'm also planning on adding wind to the game to make things more challenging.

It's up to the others on here. I personally never really liked the coleco Skill Levels screen, but if others want it in the game i will add it! because i'm planning on an arcade, Coleco, and missions modes i already will need a new UI for game options selection. I hate to just release the game with 1 screen as the arcade had. The Coleco mode will indeed just be the 1 screen version to be true to the original release, but with increasing difficulty as the player progresses.

Also if there are any musicians out there (DAN!!!) that would be interested in working on the music / sfx on the game let me know!!!

Take care,

Russ

The skill level could determine the number of choppers on the screen. :)

I agree, i do plan on having a difficulty level option (Easy, Medium, Hard) when selecting the game mode (Arcade, Coleco, Missions). and you are right, the difficulty will determine the number of Choppers and Max wind strength! I got some good coding done tonight, it now randomizes the choppers at the start of the level and knows not to generate a chopper if it's hitting the bkg tiles. Tomorrow i'll start working on the chopper movement code and chopper to chopper collision detection (as in the arcade version). Hopefully my decision to use 3 difficulty settings is ok?! i know the usual coleco menu gives 4 levels of difficulty. i could if it's really needed instead of 3. what does everyone else think?

Take care,

Russ

I wonder if the grayscale graphics on the original arcade version was partly the reason why Coleco never released its port for the CV? I mean, if the original arcade graphics weren't colored to start with, then how would 15 colors work for the CV port?

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

I'm looking foward for that one. I love the arcade game.

But , just my taste, but when it is question of colecovision vaporware that comes reallity. I would prefer to have it exactly how coleco would have released it. it means :

-original colecovision startup sequence ( coleco title screen, blue skill screen, etc...)

-no wonderfull soundtrack done by Daniel!

-no enhanced mode (or very hidden)

I know it may sound crazy to not want "better". But it just a question of authenticity. But , anyway, what ever you produce is your choice and i'll buy it! :)

But , just my taste, but when it is question of colecovision vaporware that comes reallity. I would prefer to have it exactly how coleco would have released it. it means :

-original colecovision startup sequence ( coleco title screen, blue skill screen, etc...)

Well, if Daniel (or someone else) does nice music for this game, I assume it will not be used in the arcade mode, or maybe not even in the Coleco mode. :)

I wonder if the grayscale graphics on the original arcade version was partly the reason why Coleco never released its port for the CV? I mean, if the original arcade graphics weren't colored to start with, then how would 15 colors work for the CV port?

~Ben

I agree, that could have been the reason for it not coming out. I will say, after having looked closely at the coleco mock-up of the screen shot in the catalog as i was creating the tileset for the game, they did a great job adding color to the game. that picture alone is what always keep my younger brother and i to watch for that game at the toy stores when we where kids! i thought it looked like it would be a super fun game back then!

Russ

I know it may sound crazy to not want "better". But it just a question of authenticity. But , anyway, what ever you produce is your choice and i'll buy it! :)

Wow is that hardcore or what! if that's what the majority wants i'll do it, i dont ever want to disappoint! I really do have some nice ideas for the new levels that would be perfect for this game, what do the others think about this?! you make some very good points. unless i release the missions version as Rip Cord II? not sure how eager people would be about buying both games?!

Take care,

Russ

Wow is that hardcore or what! if that's what the majority wants i'll do it, i dont ever want to disappoint! I really do have some nice ideas for the new levels that would be perfect for this game, what do the others think about this?! you make some very good points. unless i release the missions version as Rip Cord II? not sure how eager people would be about buying both games?!

Take care,

Russ

Rip Cord is a simple game in itself, so I don't see what would prevent you from cramming everything you want to implement into a single cartridge. It's all a question of presentation in this case. For instance, if you play in "Coleco" mode, then you'd see the familiar skill level select screen (which is easy to do since you can display it via a simple BIOS call) but only in that particular mode. In the "Arcade" mode, you'd need to press [#] to add coins, but that feature would only be present in that particular mode. And in "Enhanced" mode, well, the sky's the limit. Keep everything separate and you'll satisfy mostly everyone. :)

• Like 4

Have you played the arcade upright before or just in Mame? It's definitely a rare bird - *never* recall seeing one and I was a arcade whore! :)

Definitely looking forward to this project!

Youki loves authenticity but I would rather have a great game.

To say hey we could have great daniel music and awesome extra levels but we are not going to do that coleco would have never done that is crazy.

Well coleco wouldn't have made any of these great games either because they would have quickly pieced together a crappy game for your money.

They had no programming skills and would have never accomplished the great games youki makes either.

I say make the best game you can and if you like some suggestions people are making then add them but add them because you like them and you want to program that and see it in the game.

I'd rather see Rip Cord made with all the extra bells and whistles that have been mentioned. It doesn't make any sense to limit the game in anyway especially with all the advantages programmers have at their disposal now-a-days, especially the biggest one of not being under time constraints.

Just consider your release the Super Game version! :P

• Like 2

Awesome to see the Rip Cord is coming to the CV. I like the look of the color graphics. I say go with it that way. I think putting Rip Cord on the CV gives the game a chance to be a little more than what we had in the arcade.

Your label looks good Kamshaft. I like the large title text. It adds a little extra punch to the title.

On a side note, I've had a Rip Cord label done for some time since it was used in my CV-02 trading cards last year. Here's the label art I used for the card (I'm going to put this in the Labels thread as well):

post-9874-0-44335000-1382305093_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome to see the Rip Cord is coming to the CV. I like the look of the color graphics. I say go with it that way. I think putting Rip Cord on the CV gives the game a chance to be a little more than what we had in the arcade.

Your label looks good Kamshaft. I like the large title text. It adds a little extra punch to the title.

On a side note, I've had a Rip Cord label done for some time since it was used in my CV-02 trading cards last year. Here's the label art I used for the card (I'm going to put this in the Labels thread as well):

attachicon.gifRipCord.jpg

I had no idea you had made one... LOL

I had no idea you had made one... LOL

Well, I never put it up on the forum by itself. I made several for a trading card project that I put out last year. Rip Cord is one of the titles I used in that collection. There are a few more labels I made just for that card collection. You can see them over in the Labels Thread. I just posted them tonight.

Edited by pboland

The Label looks great!!! cool stuff!! I'm glad to hear there is interest in the revamped version of the game! I will do my best to please all sides. I made some good progress late last night on the game. the video update for next week should be really neat. i'll post it sometime next Saturday morning! hopefully I'll have even more done by then.

Take care,

Russ