IGNORED

Rip Cord

RKGames

I test this just now. He can use sprites[0].colour =0xF4; in C to do the early clock. First Hex is F, which will trigger the Early Clock, and second Hex for the color he want to use, which is blue.

I was thinking earlier of another solution is to do the plane in char. I think 4 copies of the plane would work. I think either put_frame or series of put_char would work. Put_frame will not wrap around, and will go off screen.

Got it working! the plane is scrolling out of the left of the screen and back into the right nice and smooth! took a little tinkering but man with you and nanochess's help about the early clock setting that did the trick! and i didn't have to waste any more sprites / tiles! Thanks again! My code to toggle the 2 modes only added .1k to the previous rom build so i can live with that :) I'm glad that issue is behind me! Thanks again Guys!

Russ

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

This looks really nice! :D

My only (tiny) suggestion would be to make the parachute a little more "deflated" when the player hits a helicopter or a piece of background. See the picture below for a comparison between the arcade version and yours.

Also, I hope you will implement the little victory dance of the parachutist when he lands on a white pad. The details in the video are a little blurry so I can't tell if you've already implemented it or not. :)

post-7743-0-39419700-1410636710_thumb.png

• Like 1

Also, it's probably too late in the game (pun intended) to add anything to your general game design, but from what I'm seeing here, I'd say you already have all the parts required to implement something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVSEeiuSgU

Just remove the island sitting in the center of the water in your game display, and you're all set. ;)

Also, it's probably too late in the game (pun intended) to add anything to your general game design, but from what I'm seeing here, I'd say you already have all the parts required to implement something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVSEeiuSgU

Just remove the island sitting in the center of the water in your game display, and you're all set. ;)

Cool. that would make a neat bonus stage for the game! if i have room / time after the game is done! i like it!

• Like 2

This game seems similar to Lunar Rescue. But, with Lunar Rescue you have to land on all the pads to clear the stage.

There doesn't appear to be a way to force a player to progress in this game. Why wouldn't a player just keep jumping to the left most pad and accruing 20 points per jump? It seems like a player could marathon the game indefinitely to rack up points.

This game seems similar to Lunar Rescue. But, with Lunar Rescue you have to land on all the pads to clear the stage.

There doesn't appear to be a way to force a player to progress in this game. Why wouldn't a player just keep jumping to the left most pad and accruing 20 points per jump? It seems like a player could marathon the game indefinitely to rack up points.

Please respond

i never played this game before so maybe that is how it is in the arcade but how come the 20 point is at the easy top and the 10 is at the little bit harder below the 20. Shouldn't they be switched around. Is it possible to get a 50 since that hellicopter never seems to leave the bottom?

Please respond

Play the arcade game in MAME or watch some youtube videos of it. This game in it's original form is simple, (it is from 1979 after all.)

You are entirely correct. There is no real progression, the point placement doesn't make sense and you could dive onto the same top left pad every time. However, in the original arcade version the plane does randomly change heights as it re-enters from the right and you will be forcefully booted out of the plane after about 20 seconds. Also the randomized movement and placement of the helicopters usually prevents farming a single landing pad as many times the plane will be only a few pixels above the top left "20" point pad, leaving you no time to jump and pull the D cord to hit it.

The author has recognized that the original game is simple, hence the mission mode (of which he has only really shown a teaser...) I honestly think very few people will play the Arcade mode after they see the Mission mode.

Play the arcade game in MAME or watch some youtube videos of it. This game in it's original form is simple, (it is from 1979 after all.)

You are entirely correct. There is no real progression, the point placement doesn't make sense and you could dive onto the same top left pad every time. However, in the original arcade version the plane does randomly change heights as it re-enters from the right and you will be forcefully booted out of the plane after about 20 seconds. Also the randomized movement and placement of the helicopters usually prevents farming a single landing pad as many times the plane will be only a few pixels above the top left "20" point pad, leaving you no time to jump and pull the D cord to hit it.

The author has recognized that the original game is simple, hence the mission mode (of which he has only really shown a teaser...) I honestly think very few people will play the Arcade mode after they see the Mission mode.

Thanks! I couldnt have said it better Tarzilla! VectorGamer - you should play or at least watch youtube footage of the original arcade game rip cord and you will see i'm very faithful to the arcade and to what is shown in the coleco catalog photo of the game. Missions mode is my answer to spicing up the game to be more enjoyable as i now the original version is very basic. If i go messing with the original mode i'm bound to upset players as it's not what was potentially going to be released back in the 80s. I'm sure i wont be able to make everyone happy but i'm trying with adding Missions mode.

Russ

• Like 1

Please respond

I agree. There wouldn't be anything to stop the player from just racking up points and no levels to progress. I've toyed with taking away a jump for every jump (good or bad) so lower the chance of playing for hours till you loose all lives, what i didn't mention iin my last update video s the game will get faster and faster (after every 6 or so successful landings i'm speeding up the copters little by little). it will peaks out at around landing 30, but if someone can survive at that speed for that long, they deserve to rack up serious points!

Thanks for asking about the game! always glad to respond to users on here, sorry for the delay in response! Take care, Russ

• Like 1

I agree. There wouldn't be anything to stop the player from just racking up points and no levels to progress. I've toyed with taking away a jump for every jump (good or bad) so lower the chance of playing for hours till you loose all lives, what i didn't mention iin my last update video s the game will get faster and faster (after every 6 or so successful landings i'm speeding up the copters little by little). it will peaks out at around landing 30, but if someone can survive at that speed for that long, they deserve to rack up serious points!

Thanks for asking about the game! always glad to respond to users on here, sorry for the delay in response! Take care, Russ

G

As Tarzilla says, I also think that the plane should vary in the height that it goes across the screen as in the original. This and the timer thing would make it harder. I love your idea of lots of mission modes too. Good luck with finishing it. It looks like a winner.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Horse Racing actually was started by AA member Else a couple years ago and was progressing along very nicely until Else unfortunately dropped off the face of the Earth. You can use the search feature to find the thread which contains a number of WIP demos.

I nominate Pixelboy for Mr. Turtle! :P

Please, no more educational games for the CV especially since Peyo would cause all kinds of problems with a Smurf PnL game.

Horse Racing actually was started by AA member Else a couple years ago and was progressing along very nicely until Else unfortunately dropped off the face of the Earth. You can use the search feature to find the thread which contains a number of WIP demos.

This poses an interesting dilemma: Can someone else (pun almost intended) do his own version of Horse Racing if Else seems to be gone for good? Heck, I could ask the same question regarding hardhat and his version of Dracula which seems stuck in development hell, or Opcode with his April Fool's version of Wild Western.

I nominate Pixelboy for Mr. Turtle! :P

Sounds like a nice project to do with BasicVision... It goes without saying that I would like to make that game a reality. :)

Please, no more educational games for the CV especially since Peyo would cause all kinds of problems with a Smurf PnL game.

Right on! We've got plenty of other vaporware titles to devote our attention to, such as Skiing and Destruction Derby! :D