IGNORED

frogger hack - remove fire button press?

grips03

this works great besides 1 issue. When you put the frog in the hole at the end, a new frog appears and immediate gets hit by the car

That is because of what I said above. The new frog starts so fast you are still holding up after putting the previous frog in his home.

Like I said, needs to be changed to move only a single space when a direction is placed.

As it is now the frog just keeps going in that direction until it hits something or you release the direction.

• Like 1

That is because of what I said above. The new frog starts so fast you are still holding up after putting the previous frog in his home.

Like I said, needs to be changed to move only a single space when a direction is placed.

As it is now the frog just keeps going in that direction until it hits something or you release the direction.

ok i see what you mean, it auto jumps if joystick is held in that direction. This is ok as I can time it for all the other jumps. If the frog start position was moved back one spot, behind the time line, then the first jump that it does would be only to that line vs into the road. Hopefully someone can look at it and adjust.

Is there a Atari 5200 emulator for PC or mac with single step. I might be able to find the right place in the code.

Another fix might be to add rapid fire to the controller, the player would hold down this button. Then the original rom / cart can be used.

Edited by grips03

ok i see what you mean, it auto jumps if joystick is held in that direction. This is ok as I can time it for all the other jumps. If the frog start position was moved back one spot, behind the time line, then the first jump that it does would be only to that line vs into the road. Hopefully someone can look at it and adjust.

Is there a Atari 5200 emulator for PC or mac with single step. I might be able to find the right place in the code.

Another fix might be to add rapid fire to the controller, the player would hold down this button. Then the original rom / cart can be used.

I think rapid fire would still make the frog go just like the hack.... In the original 5200 version you can hold a direction and tapping the button would make him jump.

So rapid would just make him keep going...

Also in the original 5200 versions I think you can use the keypad to move the frog. Those buttons are too clumsy for fast gaming though.

Edited by Official Ninja

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

I also, have both the Q*bert and Frogger "no button" hack and I myself use digital sticks with most of my games on my 5200 (using Redemption 5200) and am fully aware of the drawback of this hack so I use a very light touch, whenever I play Frogger with this hack I just nudge the stick as opposed to hitting it full-on, that way I don't inadvertently hop twice and get myself killed but yes we could sure as hell use a fix of this. As for the Q*bert hack, if you use a digital controller you have to be spot-on, in other words it's kinda like the diagonal hack I had done for the A8 version, you have to have BOTH directions dialed in in order to be able to move, now I myself am used to it, I like this diagonal hack because that way I don't have to hold the joystick in an awkward manner (45 degrees off to the right) as the tendency is to hit the wrong direction either way.