IGNORED

Intellivisionaries podcast ep2 now available - Astrosmash

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit disappointed with this episode. I don't think it was appropriate to bring up the topic of the Hover Bovver incident, especially with only one side of the story. The bit about comparing the voice samples was also out of line. The falling out happened much earlier, so by the time William prepared his samples, the deal was already crashing down. Your podcast seems to suggest that the quality of the voices was one of the criteria that caused the fall out. Of course that's what happens when you only have part of the story and consider only Williams's concerns in the deal. I would have expected better. :( I hope future episodes don't degenerate into gossip. -dZ.

I'm sorry that I'm only now getting to this thread! I hope my silence wasn't seen as anything of significance. I'm not particularly good at keeping tabs on discussions in forum software. But I do want to weigh in.

To be blatantly honest (and not intending to throw Nurmix under the bus), I was on the fence about the Plimpton bit as it really could be interpreted as us taking sides in the whole "kerfuffle" as I put it. We really don't intend to do that. I viewed it as injecting a little humor into the situation. I'm sure we only got half of the story and I really do wish we could get the other half represented. But as Nurmix mentioned, we felt like it was community news that deserved some time in the show. I don't want to feel pressured to not talk about touchy topics on the show.

Of course, we want to be fair in our presentation of things as well. To the degree that we veered off into gossip or bias, please know that it wasn't our intent. But thanks for calling us out a bit on it and for being polite about it.

So Doc, I'm curious.. what is your preferred controller to use under emulation? Something that supports 16 directions, and all keypad and side buttons? I'd like to try out whatever you use. Anyway, glad you liked the show. And thanks again for your input. For what its worth, I tend to be a bit sarcastic on the show (in case you didn't notice), so please take anything I say that may sound a bit insulting with a grain of salt! -Paul

Thanks, Paul! I enjoy using the Wii Classic controller (analog stick allows for 16 directions), but the PSP set up also seems to be quite good. I particularly love Night Stalker but have a good 15 or so games I like to play.

• 3 weeks later...

Necrobump...!

I just got around to listening to this episode completely. I was interrupted when I first started listening, and completely forgot to continue. Nonetheless, I'm listening to it right now.

Since you asked in the middle of the podcast about game review suggestions, here are mine:

You must... MUST... have an in-depth review on B-17 Bomber.

Other notable games that you should review, which I'm sure are in your list already, are:

• Dracula
  • Night Stalker
  • Microsurgeon
  • Star Strike
  • TRON: Deadly Discs
  • Utopia
  • Atlantis

I was also tempted to comment on your guest, SoCal Mike, to say that he certainly talks a lot; but then I recalled that my own interview dragged for a couple of hours and I couldn't shut up talking about my game. ;)

I guess it is hard to measure yourself when the topic at hand sparks such passion. I tip my hat to SoCal Mike, he is certainly passionate about what he does, and that keeps it interesting.

So, in balance, great episode! :)

-dZ.

No ETA on Utopia, but it's a personal favorite of mine. By the way... I have a verbal agreement from designer Don Daglow to come on the show and talk about it too!

Awesome! Maybe you could beg him to revisit it and make a 1 player version or even Utopia 2. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just finished this episode yesterday. I loved Astrosmash, but I think i had ASTROBLAST on Atari for my coleco adapter as a kid. I know I playd Astrosmash, because I clearly remember making a mental note of the sameness of it to my Atari game.

Yeah, they are pretty similar games. Mattel did a good job of adapter their games to the 2600.

I liked the M-Network games, but HATED how they didn't fit well in the COLECOVISION Atari Adapter (my only Atari 2600 of those days):

The game would go IN fine, but when you tried to remove it the non-intellivision cart part caught onto the trap-door (dust door) of the Adapter. So annoying to a 12 YO