IGNORED

PC Game Deals

JamesD

Civ 6 isn't a mobile port, they somehow made a version of the game for mobile, but it has an entire keyboard of hotkeys and can bring a PC to its knees if it isn't relatively current.

Does Epic have the DLC? I just started an Apocalypse Mode game and the natural disasters are like handing the mouse to a 12-year-old to play some of your SimCity game...

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

I really do not understand this strange obsession with Steam. I managed to avoid it until 2011 despite being almost exclusively a Mac/PC gamer since like 1995 and I do not see anything special about it. I'd much rather have game discs and CD keys. Epic is the same thing as Steam from what I can tell except it's a different company and maybe there's no Epic launcher thing like what Steam has. Discussing it in detail is definitely off-topic, though, so this is as much as I'll say here.

Steam only revolutionized the way people buy and install PC games, and probably single-handedly saved PC gaming from the doldrums back in the mid-2000s once consoles started becoming the main targeted platforms for many games that were usually PC-only at the time. Since then, it's added quite a few neat features, including cloud saves, full integration within games, achievements, etc. I generally don't bother with any PC games now if they're not on Steam (or GoG).

• Like 1

Steam is kind of like having an Atari (the ‘first’) or the one system you own where all your games are at. Think of it that way hence the obsession of keeping everything in one place. If you look at it there's Rockstar, Uplay, Epic, Origin, Bethesda, Blizzard along with Steam and GOG. Even some phone games have their own launchers on PC. It's ridiculous.

GOG for me is probably my favorite overall but pretty much everyone started out with Steam. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

Steam only revolutionized the way people buy and install PC games, and probably single-handedly saved PC gaming from the doldrums back in the mid-2000s once consoles started becoming the main targeted platforms for many games that were usually PC-only at the time. Since then, it's added quite a few neat features, including cloud saves, full integration within games, achievements, etc. I generally don't bother with any PC games now if they're not on Steam (or GoG).

12 hours ago, cimerians said:

Steam is kind of like having an Atari (the ‘first’) or the one system you own where all your games are at. Think of it that way hence the obsession of keeping everything in one place. If you look at it there's Rockstar, Uplay, Epic, Origin, Bethesda, Blizzard along with Steam and GOG. Even some phone games have their own launchers on PC. It's ridiculous.

GOG for me is probably my favorite overall but pretty much everyone started out with Steam. 

Yes to all of that.  AND - the thing that really got me into Steam was HumbleBundle.  That's where the savings really is, and its not just indie games.  That Namco Bundle that is active right now includes 9 mainstream games for $25.  That's like 2.78 a game.  I find that sort of value to be very compelling, and so far, I haven't seen where HB offers Epic keys.

• Like 1

Going to agree with Sauron there, though I have a library like 10x larger on GoG since you technically own control over those games since they hand out perpetually updated actual independent offline download installers.  Steam though, I can't hate it.  It really wasn't great earlier, but since the PS3 era really it has benefitted from the fact that from then (with the 360) and since consoles basically have almost taken a back seat to the PC given they basically are now DRM locked out of date consoles.  Outside of random stuff and 1st/2nd party titles, Steam gets all those great third party games in better form, and they always cost less because of the endless trail of weekly, monthly, seasonal, and special holiday sales.

A great resource use this: isthereanydeal.com/

It tracks GoG, Amazon, Steam and like a couple dozen plus steam key providers live with every deal ever made on a game and what the deepest cuts are, how long, etc.  I've saved a bundle going this route, which reminds me, I downloaded finally Yooka-Laylee last night on GoG since it was $10 instead of $40.

• Like 1

I'd be all over that if I didn't get the 20th anniv humble bundle of over 20 games 5 years ago which was an amazing package with a cheapo emulator and a pure dumped set of board roms in a zip file from them. :D  I think I even doubled down on GoG too, I'd have to check, since how they're setup with files and all that.

• Like 1

GoG Summer Sale is on, solid deals, and if you jump into the developer sections and click them from there (vs front page, your wishlist) you get a few more % off the price.  I looked and like GRIS or Messenger list at 50%, but in the developer discount click box page it takes another 7% off.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'd be all over that if I didn't get the 20th anniv humble bundle of over 20 games 5 years ago which was an amazing package with a cheapo emulator and a pure dumped set of board roms in a zip file from them. :D

Me too, I had to get that Metal Slug t-shirt :D

• Like 1

As predicted, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is now free on Epic. Another free game on there is Sludge Life. Also SNK announced that the upcoming Samurai Shodown collection will be free on Epic June 11th.

Edit: It looks like I was late with the Samurai Shodown announcement. ?

Edited by MCHufnagel

On 5/29/2020 at 7:30 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Please note this is a Bethesda.net PC copy of Arx Fatalis, so you'll need the free

Bethesda launcher to install and play the game.

Actually, if it's anything like the Steam version, after you install the game you can rip out the files, install one of the patches on top of it, and it'll run DRM-free just fine :) You have to go back to 1.8 or something like that if you want to bring Win9x compatibility back, though.

Oh, and speaking of Looking Glass, this demo is showing promise: https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Quite buggy at the moment, but fun while it lasts.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 2

Good grief, I just logged into my bethesda account\client which I haven't used in a long time and I have a ton of games does it link with steam? I don't remember ever purchasing them from the Bethesda store.

Never mind it does under account settings linked accounts... I wonder if the versions in bethesda have additional patches\options that the steam version don't.

Edited by cimerians