IGNORED

PC Game Deals

JamesD

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 90% off on Steam right now. 200 yen for me, so probably $2 USD or equivalent elsewhere. I already have it on Origin, but it's a good game.

Definitely get it now while it's super cheap if you want it and don't have it already. It's so good. Playing it did make it quite apparent that some of the missions, specifically the no-base missions, are pretty much garbage, but otherwise...

i got it a couple of years ago. unlike the first one, i got stuck on the training, and was never

able to get into the game.

i'll have to try it again.

its just way too hard, to actually get to the game part, which is too bad,

because i really wanted to play it.

it too me a few years to get through the first one too.

looks like this will take longer.

later

6 hours ago, negative1 said:

i got it a couple of years ago. unlike the first one, i got stuck on the training, and was never

able to get into the game.

i'll have to try it again.

its just way too hard, to actually get to the game part, which is too bad,

because i really wanted to play it.

it too me a few years to get through the first one too.

looks like this will take longer.

later

I have not played it since May of 2018, but I think I had some complaints about the training or something as well. It's been almost 4 years and with my garbage memory I'd have to play it again since there's no way I'm going to remember.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

14 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 90% off on Steam right now. 200 yen for me, so probably $2 USD or equivalent elsewhere. I already have it on Origin, but it's a good game.

Definitely get it now while it's super cheap if you want it and don't have it already. It's so good. Playing it did make it quite apparent that some of the missions, specifically the no-base missions, are pretty much garbage, but otherwise...

Oh yeah the only part of that game that was utterly infuriating were the pair of play the commando alone or with a few grunts missions.  It's the only scripted crap in the entire game on the original C&C where you tow the line of a strategy guide or eat dirt.  BB stores still largely carry the PC physical release both the standard box and the premium with the light up tiberium toy and stuff in it.  Given what the d-bags on ebay are trying to scam people out of, it's a precursor of how much worse it will be once the BB stocks dry out.

Getting delisted on the 27th, price permanently set to $1 until then. If you want it, buy it now while it still exists.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/628720/GODS_Remastered/

On 3/19/2022 at 4:32 AM, Tanooki said:

Oh yeah the only part of that game that was utterly infuriating were the pair of play the commando alone or with a few grunts missions.  It's the only scripted crap in the entire game on the original C&C where you tow the line of a strategy guide or eat dirt.  BB stores still largely carry the PC physical release both the standard box and the premium with the light up tiberium toy and stuff in it.  Given what the d-bags on ebay are trying to scam people out of, it's a precursor of how much worse it will be once the BB stocks dry out.

The commando as a unit is flawed, as it's basically impossible to destroy a building with one without taking damage. Those no base missions, though... your micro has to be perfect or you're losing all of your units. It's even worse when there are baseless missions where your dudes instantly get attacked at the start of the mission before you have a chance to put them inside APCs.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Getting delisted on the 27th, price permanently set to $1 until then. If you want it, buy it now while it still exists.

The commando as a unit is flawed, as it's basically impossible to destroy a building with one without taking damage. Those no base missions, though... your micro has to be perfect or you're losing all of your units. It's even worse when there are baseless missions where your dudes instantly get attacked at the start of the mission before you have a chance to put them inside APCs.

Exactly... I eventually had a system down I did for some years, but after a decade long lay off I came back to it like 10 years back and got wrecked, basically got furious at it, found a trainer, and bypassed that badly designed shit.  I detest faux difficulty through bad design like that, and Red Alert was monumentally worse in that regard.  I still have horrible memories of underground, commando chick, and having to bomb multiple spots having to be pixel accurate around flame spewing death and the blasts from the explosives you dropped since they'd still jack you up like the original game.  Bad design, then doubled down on it.

And wow... Gods, that's a classic, but delisted?  That's a shame, wonder what caused that.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Exactly... I eventually had a system down I did for some years, but after a decade long lay off I came back to it like 10 years back and got wrecked, basically got furious at it, found a trainer, and bypassed that badly designed shit.  I detest faux difficulty through bad design like that, and Red Alert was monumentally worse in that regard.  I still have horrible memories of underground, commando chick, and having to bomb multiple spots having to be pixel accurate around flame spewing death and the blasts from the explosives you dropped since they'd still jack you up like the original game.  Bad design, then doubled down on it.

And wow... Gods, that's a classic, but delisted?  That's a shame, wonder what caused that.

I've never played Red Alert. No Mac version, so I couldn't. I can play it now, but I'm waiting until after I finish C&C... if I can ever put up with the baseless missions long enough to finish them lol.

Apparently Gods is dying because of a licensing thing.

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

I've never played Red Alert. No Mac version, so I couldn't. I can play it now, but I'm waiting until after I finish C&C... if I can ever put up with the baseless missions long enough to finish them lol.

Apparently Gods is dying because of a 3 year licensing thing.

Makes sense, a shame, I guess I'll grab it as I used to play the DOS game like 30 years ago and while a bit stiff was fairly good, if not really challenging.

And if you hate the C&C one man wrecking crew with no base, no recharge...RA will piss you off.  They ratchet it up, and give no F's about it.  Nothing makes more sense, than having an immediate threat of nuclear stuff going off making everything glow, and the genius idea of sending in the commando girl with a backpack full of explosives against tanks in a basement, many troops, flame towers, and other grunts with just one life bar to give and very minimal support.  It's just epic piss poor design.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Makes sense, a shame, I guess I'll grab it as I used to play the DOS game like 30 years ago and while a bit stiff was fairly good, if not really challenging.

And if you hate the C&C one man wrecking crew with no base, no recharge...RA will piss you off.  They ratchet it up, and give no F's about it.  Nothing makes more sense, than having an immediate threat of nuclear stuff going off making everything glow, and the genius idea of sending in the commando girl with a backpack full of explosives against tanks in a basement, many troops, flame towers, and other grunts with just one life bar to give and very minimal support.  It's just epic piss poor design.

Yeah, there was never a Mac version. I'll get there eventually. I hope. I've heard that the overall game design, aside from no base missions, is better than regular C&C, but I've also heard that it's basically just a very slight reskin of the existing assets.

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, there was never a Mac version. I'll get there eventually. I hope. I've heard that the overall game design, aside from no base missions, is better than regular C&C, but I've also heard that it's basically just a very slight reskin of the existing assets.

It is but there are some notable changes depending how you feel about things.  There is now the ability to make ferries to float units over rivers.  And also the AI on the game is notably more cheap, not brutal, just cheap, in how it approaches taking you on.  While the older game, much like the even older Dune, played largely fair and you could take various avenues and ways to attack units, groups, or the base itself, this one is setup more of a meat grinder and gets a bit spammy in how it will slap you around.  I was ok with the game, but not a fan, I grabbed that remastered package for the original game specifically.

21 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Looks like its a dollar on all platforms. Might get this one on the Switch just because.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Looks like its a dollar on all platforms. Might get this one on the Switch just because.

Yeah, it's on consoles, as well. It's going away there, too.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

It is but there are some notable changes depending how you feel about things.  There is now the ability to make ferries to float units over rivers.  And also the AI on the game is notably more cheap, not brutal, just cheap, in how it approaches taking you on.  While the older game, much like the even older Dune, played largely fair and you could take various avenues and ways to attack units, groups, or the base itself, this one is setup more of a meat grinder and gets a bit spammy in how it will slap you around.  I was ok with the game, but not a fan, I grabbed that remastered package for the original game specifically.

Sounds like the original game might be better anyway, then.

To me is it, most would call me wrong, because RA seems at least back in the 20th to be the more loved title because of the added units and ability to cross water.  But objectively looking back at the stages, Ai routines and how to work with them, the underground maybe call em broken commando stages, the original is better... toss up on opinion as far as combat units go as there were some variable changes with the soviet vs allied powers.  The premise of RA was more fun before it went off the rails in sequels, an interesting world where Germany was allied with the normal allies, Hitler was time travel killed I think it was so there was no nazi reich -- that had appeal at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Razzie.P Standard.  They have a fairly large set of mixed bag games that are free and always are, slowly adding more as developers are cool with it.  At other times you get this 24-48hr window they throw stuff up there to snap up as well.  They don't regularly advertise the freebie pit, so maybe they just did and you caught it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfenstein: The New Order is the free GOTW in the epic store. I haven't played a Wolfenstein in ages, it's fun!

GOG's summer sale is on, too, although a quick browse for me didn't reveal anything I didn't already have or was a too-good-to-pass-up deal. YMMV of course.

• Like 1

GOG.COM is at it again with the seasonal sale.

But, right now they added two considerable new whoppers to the site and with a fairly heavy discount on one (Alien) and a solid chunk off another (Chorus) as well.  They've got discounts by the 80s and 90s releases and far more, they usually give away a game or two in these periods so keep an eye out.

Venetica is free on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/

Ninja Stealth is free on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/485450/Ninja_Stealth/

Dragon's Dogma an awesome ActionRPG I might have played almost as much as Skyrim is $4.79:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/367500/Dragons_Dogma_Dark_Arisen/

Dwarflings is free on Indeigala

https://freebies.indiegala.com/dwarflings?restock

Capcom Arcade Stadium, Capcom Arcade Stadium:STREET FIGHTER II - The World Warrior is free for the very crappy Arcade Stadium:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515950/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium/

• Like 1

Doom 2016, Caladrius Blaze, and Master Chief Collection are all on sale on Steam right now. Also Hellsinker. and GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in that game even though I have played it, but it's definitely something.

and Andro Dunos II.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:45 AM, Razzie.P said:

Legit sad I missed that one

I still have not played it. Been distracted by Death Stranding. I'll get around to it eventually.