IGNORED

The Future of Emulation?

PFL

I know that emulated games are practically unplayable with touch screen controls. Gaming tablets with built-in directional pads might be an option but I don't know how good they are.

Bluetooth controller. Get one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Classic-Controller-Android-Gamepad/dp/B00MB6CNN8/

41FtPtQE8AL.jpg

• 11 months later...

No, they won't. They are more popular than ever and often take forms not readily recognizable as the traditional PC executable and a ROM are. Nor as "boring". All FPGA consoles are emulation. And some of these cheapo AIO consoles are emulation. And greatest hits on Xbox and Ps are emulators too.

Emulation will eventually be the only way to experience classic games. And for many arcade games we're at that point already. I did a hypothetical road trip to find and play 20 of my childhood arcade favorites. And it spanned nearly 1500 miles to get them all. Ridiculous.

Emulators are used in development of homebrews. They provide a complete environment. And the results are awesome.

Most telling of all, I've been gaming on emulators for the past 20 years. All the classic material, emulated! Well these past few months I wanted to re-experience the real thing. So I made it a point to re-ground myself and play on period hardware and period displays with period controllers. Unfortunately I was still non-plussed. Controllers were wonky, intermittent. Displays weren't adjusted. Too much physical paraphernalia to putz around with. While cool in a charming way, it's overrated.

I enjoyed the crisp sharp response of a good PC controller, the consistent display image (with CRT effects), the convenience, and added features the emulation environment offers. I really need to emphasize consistency and convenience here as the big advantages.

I also propose that more people take up emulation and relegate their original hardware to display shelf status - pulling it down to play only when the strongest nostalgia bites the intellect. Let disposable PCs bear the brunt of day-to-day play while you keep your vintage hardware nice and pristine. Emulation is your daily driver so to speak.

Nice yearly bump Keatah! :P

Emulation isn't going anywhere but forwards. By the same token, hardware will be around for some time to come. My Atari is 35 years old. It may well last another 35. Will I be here 35 years from now, almost 70? Who knows...

But as more and more old hardware breaks down or gets tossed, it will slowly fade into obscurity. But the games will live on as emulation, for anyone who wants to play them.

Who knows, maybe someday a hundred years from now there will be a college class on classic game culture, where students emulate various arcade games and do reports on them, much like students study Shakespear today. Games will have become accepted as works of art much like classic paintings and literature, rather than some social fringe time waster.

Who knows, maybe someday a hundred years from now there will be a college class on classic game culture, where students emulate various arcade games and do reports on them, much like students study Shakespear today. Games will have become accepted as works of art much like classic paintings and literature, rather than some social fringe time waster.

I know the shit they got going on smartphones is time wasting. Can the same thing be said about the golden age? Games of that epoch improved your reaction times, your memory, and spatial skills. This does not happen with the Skinner box games of today.

I know the shit they got going on smartphones is time wasting. Can the same thing be said about the golden age? Games of that epoch improved your reaction times, your memory, and spatial skills. This does not happen with the Skinner box games of today.

I finally looked up "skinner box". Basically an apparatus that conditions test subjects by rewarding them for performing simple repetitive tasks. Video slots or even modern mobile games fit the bill very well. Reward player for buying time or in-game consumables.

Arcade games rewarded players for not dying. Inserting credits is a form of punishment for playing badly. Very different from the mobile sense where the gamer is rewarded by the game for buying play time or currency. :ponder:

smilie_game_007.gif YES.

3.gif NO.