IGNORED

Battle Eagle - 8th place Abbuc SW Contest 2013

TMR

Well,

I would like to have one improvement - since level 1 is too tough for me (and even for QMEG-author Stefan Dorndorf, who is the best player in Abbuc Bundesliga and already solved the game), it would be nice if you could make this level simpler somehow... ;-)

Note: If a game is level-based, don`t make level 1 the hardest level !

-Andreas Koch.

Hello TMR

Please test Battle Eagle on real hardware. It looks horrible and has probably cost you a lot of points. I've heard it looks fine on emulators and Atari 8 bit computers with VBXE (when using the VBXE port).

Sincerely

Mathy

Looks good on my 130XE (PAL/14" CRT) ;)

Please test Battle Eagle on real hardware. It looks horrible and has probably cost you a lot of points. I've heard it looks fine on emulators and Atari 8 bit computers with VBXE (when using the VBXE port).

It was almost constantly tested on one of my two stock 800XLs during development and spent a weekend at the Play Expo running on the other with no issues at all?!

Hrm,

I didn't solve the game yet, I made it up to level 5, score 136192. Compared to later levels, early levels are indeed too difficult.

On a real ATARI, the game looks OK. Only on some digital TVs, artifacts may cause the graphics to look bad. And since the special GTIA modes are used, the game will not be displayed properly on an ATARI with GTIA bug (as mentioned in the manual).

Overall, Battle Eagle is a good shooter with interesting graphics, and of course I'll put it in my favorite game collection.

Thanks for this new game for the ATARI 8bit.

On a real ATARI, the game looks OK. Only on some digital TVs, artifacts may cause the graphics to look bad. And since the special GTIA modes are used, the game will not be displayed properly on an ATARI with GTIA bug (as mentioned in the manual).

Oh please don't tell me that those character-based modes don't work on every GTIA-equipped machine?!! i'll be more than a little upset if that's the case, i told a fair few people how Battle Eagle was being done during development and none of them mentioned that there could be an issue on some hardware! =-(

Okay, i'm a little lost as to why this isn't working and feeling a bit gutted to be honest...

Anyway, the archive at the Cosine website now has a revised version which shunts the first level to the back of the queue (none of the test players or folks at Play had an issue, but now people have a choice since the ABBUC version is in there too) and puts in the Start button check to begin the game that was mentioned in the ABBUC edition of the manual but forgotten in the rush for the deadline.

Edited by TMR

Hello MaPa

Youtube?

I don't want to preserve it for future generations, I just want the right guys to see it. :-) It's in my webspace and I'm gonna send TMR the link as soon as I'm done typing this. Unless TMR came up with a better idea while I'm typing this.

Sincerely

Mathy

Oh please don't tell me that those character-based modes don't work on every GTIA-equipped machine?!! i'll be more than a little upset if that's the case, i told a fair few people how Battle Eagle was being done during development and none of them mentioned that there could be an issue on some hardware! =-(

Some of the later, ST-case like models suffer from a bad GTIA. Examples here:

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4275

Nothing that I would take into account when doing a game - I'm not responsible for El-Cheapo's price cuts nor for users which let their machine unfixed.

Edited by Irgendwer

Hello Irgendwer

We should first establish if it really is the Graphics 9 bug. If it is, it might be wise to include a notice next time, that computers with this bug might not display everything correctly. If I (and with me a lot of people) would have known this, I would have tried the game on another computer that does not have this bug. And Battle Eagle might have gotten more points.

Sincerely

Mathy

Well,

one more thing please: add a Poke 580,1 or better the assembler equivalent to Battle Eagle, so that RESET=coldstart. Its easy for emulator users, but on a real Atari with standard OS its annoying (and risky!) to switch off the computer and back on again to boot another program.

How can a light-bulb burn for more than 100 years ? Don`t switch it off ! (Thinking of a light bulb in Frisco or L.A. fire-department)

How can your real Atari work much longer ? Don`t switch it off/on too often.

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

We should first establish if it really is the Graphics 9 bug. If it is, it might be wise to include a notice next time, that computers with this bug might not display everything correctly. If I (and with me a lot of people) would have known this, I would have tried the game on another computer that does not have this bug.

Judging by the screenshots of the bug in action, i don't think you're seeing that particular problem but it's hard to say from the video what is causing the issue; if you can "park" during a boss battle and get a decent still photo so we can see more clearly what's being affected that might help?

And i'd have included a note if anyone'd told me about it!

Hello TMR

"park" during a boss battle

I have no clue what you are talking about, so please explain.

And i'd have included a note if anyone'd told me about it!

But we're not sure yet, if it is the GR.9 bug.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's just packed up the tripod. :-( )