IGNORED

X:8 - 1st place ABBUC SW Contest 2013

Xuel

Fantastic looking game, well done guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I posted this on the contest thread but thought I'd copy it here too ;)

I know X8 is still being developed... but here is some feedback:

consider making having the option for manual firing, as it will make the player more involved - the only downside was that it made the player feel slightly detached as you just kept fire in and avoided crashing.

Some incentive to kill all the baddies in each wave to get the powerups perhaps.

More indication of being hit/taking damage.

Fix having to press Start after entering your name.

:)

• Like 1

You have to stay tunned for the updates that will include:

-> Better attacking waves and some enemys can shoot

-> Transitions from dark starfield sky to light day before the end level last attacking wave(s)

-> Shooting 'front ball' will be replaced by top and bottom vertical smaller ball (similar as in Delta in C64) that can destroy those ground cannons

-> Have those diagonal shots working

-> Some enemy waves that comes out of a certain ground gfxs

-> Level8 with new/different gfxs

-> An Ending Level after Level8 with large ships and uggly creatures.

@Kyle22 The game does run 20% faster on NTSC since it's locked to the frame rate. It's definitely a bit more challenging. :) The game detects PAL vs NTSC so it can adjust the music tempo, but the notes sound a bit more staccato on NTSC since the ADSR envelopes still run at full frame rate. Also, there are occasional visual glitches on the top of the play area when lots of ships are on screen since some ships still haven't been drawn before the electron beam reaches those scan lines. I'll see if I can tighten this up at some point. Also, the colors were designed with PAL in mind, so they look a bit wonky on NTSC. I'm a fan of the PAL palette. Atari's NTSC palette lacks a good red hue.

• Like 1

I don't remember right now if I said this to Xuel but I design most of the ground gfxs on some levels to achieve more colours and nice shades with the PAL Blending possibility in mind.

Of course that for NTSC people you, on the hand, will get some parts of the enemys coloured and a different stars pixels colours.

I don't remember right now if I said this to Xuel but I design most of the ground gfxs on some levels to achieve more colours and nice shades with the PAL Blending possibility in mind.

Of course that for NTSC people you, on the other hand, will get some parts of the enemys coloured and a different stars pixels colours with the NTSC Artifacting possibility.

Edited by José Pereira

One thing I notice right now is that if you have NTSC Artifacting, at least in Atari800WinPlus emulator, is that although a single pixel the diffent artifacting colour of the stars they seem to be blinking when the screen scrolls. It's like in reality we are looking to the sky and fix our eyes on all those distant stars.

Can you confirm that on real hardware or is me just because on the P.C. I am so close to the monitor?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks for such great game.

I played nights long and until my eyes felt asleep...

and just wake up again, when I was killed, haha!

but also this here already named ZYBEX I played these years back more than often...

how many levels does th game have?

I was already in eight...

cheers

markus