IGNORED

Slovenian Quiz - 14rd place ABBUC SW Contest 2013

Gury

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations to the winner and all other software contributors of this years' ABBUC competition. Here is my entry, which is simple quiz - word guessing game of some Slovenian words. It is my first finished title using Turbo BASIC, where I experimented with its features. This game is put to public domain with source code included. Beginners can learn something from it, others can check to see some code of interest. You can do with it whatever you want, it was my pleasure to finally program in Turbo BASIC.

post-7301-0-30936800-1382896475_thumb.png post-7301-0-36550200-1382896491_thumb.png post-7301-0-65440300-1382896510_thumb.png

post-7301-0-86577500-1382896529_thumb.png post-7301-0-96020000-1382896542_thumb.png

Atari disk image:

sloquiz_v1_2.atr

Some short documentation:

slo_quiz_doc.doc

slo_quiz_doc.pdf

• Like 4

Slo-Quiz is much improved on the 4K Atari BASIC contest version :thumbsup:

but here are a few suggestions to make it even better!!

Keep the wrong answer on screen for longer

Stop the repeat questions on a single turn

Display the English phonetics for how to say the word :-o

;-)

hehehe

I do not know the Slovenian and I have no problems with the Quiz... similar to polish language.

:D

These languages are interestingly very similar in many words and meanings.

Hahahaha.

Cool one! 11/15 after first play (in cooperation with my wife). And with 0% of knowledge of Slovenian language. :D :D :D

Bravo :) Learning can be fun sometimes! Good start Miker. Did you try 2-player mode?

15/15 :-)

Congratulations, xxl, you are the master :)

And congrats for your ABBUC great contribution!

Slo-Quiz is much improved on the 4K Atari BASIC contest version :thumbsup:

but here are a few suggestions to make it even better!!

Keep the wrong answer on screen for longer

Stop the repeat questions on a single turn

Display the English phonetics for how to say the word :-o

;-)

Thank you. Observations and suggestions noted!

Actually I don't remember any word ( :-) ) but it really was fun playing it with 2 players (both knowing absolutely nothing about Solvenian). We had to guess based on English, German and Polish that worked out very well. Also the different difficulty settings and and the visualization are good.

Edited by JAC!

Me too :D

Guess being half Serbian, half Polish helps ;)

Good job Boštjan!

Nice touch with 'Settings' screen.

You live in Serbia, right? Which city?

Actually I don't remember any word ( :-) ) but it really was fun playing it with 2 players (both knowing absolutely nothing about Solvenian). We had to guess based on English, German and Polish that worked out very well. Also the different difficulty settings and and the visualization are good.

Thanks for playing and comments. That's right, Polish language is very similar in some points like other neighbour countries.

Kudos for you to enter the competition with this. You did not lose, you are the 14th winner!

Maybe you extend the progam by creating an editor, so that other languages can be implemented by the user. That would be cool.

Thanks, skr. Good idea about the editor, maybe I will put together something when I get some more time. Here I will note and point out core parts with logic which do the main tasks (choosing words and drawing appropriate images). After that, everybody can implement a version with words from her/his country or add more words and images.

I just played this for the first time and also had a 15/15 :-) Czech is also quite similar to Slovenian :-).

Congratulations, you are the master as xxl is!

You are right, Czech, Slovenian, Slovakian, Polish, Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian and then Bolgarian, Russian, Ukrainian, Belorusian... languages all have many words in common. One big nation, Slovan nation.

• Like 1

O, I see :) Cool to meet an Atari 'neighbour'. Just come by to me if you cross over Slovenia :) I live about 20 km near Ljubljana, in village called Šmarje Sap.

Now about translating the guessing words and images...

Game is written in Turbo BASIC, so anybody familiar with Atari BASIC, even beginner, can check the code. First important code excerpt starts from PROC MAIN (starting at line 81) with two vital lines:

88 R=INT(80*RND)+%1:IF N=R THEN 88
89 RESTORE 5000+R*10:EXEC READ_PLAYER:EXEC SCORE:IF ESC=%1 THEN POP :GO# CANCEL
The code at line 88 just selects random number between 1 and 80 to determine selected word for guessing. From there, program flows to the next line 89, where selected word and image are retrieved and put to the user for guessing.
The code with word library and images starts at line 5000 with some rules in mind. Here are some examples:
5010 DATA 1,2,4,8,255,254,255,40,16,0,0,0,0,0,0,224,144,136,132,255,239,255,20,8
5015 DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0,car,AVTO,TOVORNJAK,VLAK,KOLO,ROLKA
5020 DATA 108,145,66,53,137,66,60,24,24,24,24,24,24,44,82,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
5025 DATA tree,DREVO,GORA,U;,BIVOL,ZVON
5030 DATA 24,56,120,216,24,24,24,24,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,one,ENA,DVA,STO,GROZA,ODEJA
The syntax is very simple. First 30 bytes in DATA line represent an image for guessing word. Next element, string, is English representation of guessing word, Next one is Slovenian translation of the word and next four strings are Slovenian words, which do NOT reflect the current guessing word (these are the list of wrong answers).
30 bytes, which represent an image of guessing word, are put together as two pictures side by side. So, if your picture is small, you can put zeros in second part (byte elements beginning at offset 16) or the other way.
Just be careful when defining DATA statements, which must comfort mentioned number of DATA elements and new DATA line must begin at step incremented by 10 as seen from examples.
My language uses some characters uncommon for other countries, so here are the mappings for them in DATA strings.
post-7301-0-34630200-1382986668.jpg
That's it, this is short description of how you can change quiz for your country with even more guessing words.

• Like 1

O, I see :) Cool to meet an Atari 'neighbour'. Just come by to me if you cross over Slovenia :) I live about 20 km near Ljubljana, in village called Šmarje Sap.

As years go by, I find more and more like minded people in the neighbourhood :)

One day we'll sit in a car and drive around neighbourhood :)

ps. If you (or any other retro-loving-person reading this) ever come closer to Serbia, don't hesitate to stop by - there is always cold beer, good wine, great food and good company !

• Like 1

Deal, I will stop by if I go to Serbia again :) Really cool to have similar minded people around.

Here is a picture of hen, which closely resembles Slovenia. I wanted to include some kind of title screen like this in my program during development stage, but I didn't have time to accomplish this. Anyway, I include it here (converted with RastaConverter).

post-7301-0-35839200-1383474263_thumb.png

slo_kura.xex

• Like 1

I am from Slovakia and I have no problem with Slovenian quiz...

But I understand Serbian or Croatian too. Or Lusatian Sorbs (Slavs in Germany) or Polish. Czech people.

Even when I look at Slovenian map I see exactly same names of villages or rivers, towns

as we have here (Jesenice, Dolina, Bistrica-Bystrica, Novo Mesto-Nové Mesto, Slatina, Preddvor - Pred Dvorom, Pohorju- Pohorie). BTW Slovenia is beautiful country like Slovakia plus Adriatic Sea coastline...

From official Slovenian history...

"Year 550 - The first wave of Slavic settlement, originating from Moravia (Morava River, near Devín Castle - todays capital of Slovakia - Bratislava/, reaches the Eastern Alps region and the western margin of the Pannonian plain."

So our nations are very very close ;).

Pozdravujem!

Edited by Matej
  • Like 1

But I understand Serbian or Croatian too. Or Lusatian Sorbs (Slavs in Germany) or Polish. Czech people.

Yeah, last time I was driving through Slovakia we stopped at the gas station... Filled up tank, went inside and tried talking to the girl behind the counter in English...

After few awkward exchanges without much understanding I recognized couple of words she said and in a next minute realized we can discuss weather and gas prices in a perfect mix of Slovako-Serbian :D

Lots of stuff seems to be happening in Slovakia around Atari, think I'll have to visit one of parties you guys have going on there.

Hello skr

As you know, I'm an experienced long distance driver when it comes to Atari 8 bit meetings in Europe. Sometimes what Google Maps (etc.) tells you is true, but not always (nice understatement!). There's always these unexpected things like traffic jams, you butt starting to hurt or your bladder wanting to get emptied. Or your navigation trying to fool you.

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks Mathy. I got some experience too. I drove to Great Britain, Poland, Vienna, Bosnia-Hercegovina and other countries by car. So I think I know what expects me. Just look at the cart. For me it´s down to Dresden, that´s less than 3 hours (been there more than once). Than cross through the Czech republic, where roads mostly are in better conditions than in Poland. So I think, it really is doable in less than 8 hrs.

And don´t care about my butt. I drove from Wolfsburg to Vienna via Frankfurt (to pick up some technic) nearly non-stop (except for refueling) without problems. Just a little tired when I came there. Or Wolfsburg to Birmingham, with just 90 minutes break on the ferry. Seems, you´re Volvo is not that comfortable as my little Peugeot is ;)

Just use new Slovakian D1 or D2 highway from Vienna or Prague to Trencin.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Highways_Slovakia.svg/1000px-Highways_Slovakia.svg.png

And than Trencin -> Horna Suca Village

mapa.zoznam.sk/naplanuj-cestu-m3?p[0]=Tren%C4%8D%C3%ADn%2C+Slovensk%C3%A1+republika%3B48.8944464%2C18.040752800000064&p[20]=Horn%C3%A1+S%C3%BA%C4%8Da%2C+Slovensk%C3%A1+republika%3B48.973706%2C17.976755000000026