Albert

I just posted several new entries, and Jordi Cabo's entry was updated as well. You can see them all here:

http://atariage.com/features/contests/StarCastle/#submissions

If you want to see the newest submissions first:

http://atariage.com/features/contests/StarCastle/index.html?orderBy=newest#submissions

Today's the last day to enter for anyone still working on their labels!!

..Al

I think I like the one by Tom Kerese the best, although I quite like the ones done by Corey Kramer and Robby Musso as well.

The artwork done by Jordi Cabo is very nice, but it's just too modern-looking (i.e. CGI/Photoshop), like a PS3 game or something. I think a lot of the homebrew artwork suffers from that problem, personally. I understand that it's not 1982, but I like my Atari games to look like Atari games.

All of the entries are enjoyable, though.

IAWTP

I think I like the one by Tom Kerese the best, although I quite like the ones done by Corey Kramer and Robby Musso as well.The artwork done by Jordi Cabo is very nice, but it's just too modern-looking (i.e. CGI/Photoshop), like a PS3 game or something. I think a lot of the homebrew artwork suffers from that problem, personally. I understand that it's not 1982, but I like my Atari games to look like Atari games.IAWTP

You got modern-looking?

I got 50s-60s science fiction novel cover from Jordi's submission.

Both Robby's and Jordi's artwork would work well as a cartridge and as a poster, I think.

I just can't wait to OWN it because it saves high scores (semi)permanently.

Probably will make two versions of the game available, one that does not store high scores and one that does. There's a significant difference in price between the boards just for that one feature.

..Al

Very awesome , would love a cart that saves like Chetiry . Maybe in the future, certain arcade games could have the optional feature .

You got modern-looking?

I got 50s-60s science fiction novel cover from Jordi's submission.

I think it's more the lettering and the overall look of the label than the artwork itself that makes it look more modern to me. I don't dislike it...I just don't like it as much as some of the others.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is not a feature which can be easily added afterwards. You have to enhance the code to make it work.

Thomas, if Al wants you to make a non-high score version can you add the code to save the high score to the AtariVox? At least then it will save the score and if you don't have an AtariVox plus it was still just play as a game.

Please? Version 147?

Wow, this is going to be a tough decision for you guys. There are several really nice labels already.

So far, Jordi Cabo's #1 and Dave Dries #2 are both labels that would make this a must purchase for me, even if the game sucked (which it doesn't). :lust:

Hello everybody! First: I had a very good time drawing and playing Star Castle Arcade for this contest. Second: this is my first post on Atariage, but I visit daily from years ago. Third: my English is very weak, have compassion :).

Answering some entries: yes, I have done in photoshop + digital pen. When did the title, my intention was to simulate the Airbrush and reflections effect widely used in 70-80's. Well... I've tried...

Here are an attached sample image so that you can see some details from closer.post-37545-0-60735100-1385399796_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if all of the entries have been posted, but my favorites so far are:

Jordi Cabo #1 - Great tribute to vintage sci-fi paintings and game artwork, and great non-literal interpretation of the game.

Dave Dries #2 - Reminds me of LucasArts game packaging from the X-Wing and Tie-Fighter era. The logo is pure 80's sci-fi.

Leonardo Pereira #1 - Instantly readable, unique, clean design. Nice graphic approach.

Rob Kelly #1 - I just love the comic book/Heavy Metal (magazine) influence. Brilliant idea of showing the story going on inside the castle!

Hernán Callo #1 - Cool overall look and effects. Much prefer this over the ones he submitted with borders (they seem too crowded). Logo could be smaller though.

Nice work everyone!

• Like 1

November 27, 2013 - Winner Selected!

Congratulations go out to Jordi Cabo for winning the Star Castle Arcade Label Contest! As usual for these contests, we had many fantastic submissions, which always makes for a difficult choice in the end! The game's authors, Chris Walton and Thomas Jentzsch, enjoyed Jordi's depiction of the game, harking back to the classically painted artwork that Atari created for many of their games back in the day. For his winning label design (pictured below), Jordi Cabo will receive a $100 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store, as well as a copy of Star Castle Arcade once it is available for purchase.

Here's an image of an Atari 2600 cartridge adorned with Jordi Cabo's winning label:

star_castle_arcade_winning_cartridge.jpg

Congratulations again to Jordi Cabo and to all the participants who took the time to enter the contest and show off their talents! You can view all submissions at the bottom of the contest page.

If you'd like to be notified about our next label contest, please use our Contact Page to drop us a line. See you next time!

• Like 4

Thanks for everyone participating in the contest. Its always fun to watch how other people, all much more creative than I am, come up with their different and often surprising ideas inspired by my game.

And of course: Congratulations Jordi! :thumbsup:

(where have you been hiding?)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch