IGNORED

Colecovision's Kickstarter failure is deeply depressing to me

Flojomojo

I think the main problem is you have diminished population.

You have your main customer base of people that grew up in the 80's which limits you

The only kids younger that would like it would be from the small set of hardcore retro population that have been playing their old systems with their kids.

You then have a huge group of those 80's kids who are not technologically savy and therefore do not have IPhones or look at the internet for info on colecovision that limits you even more.

You then have a huge group of technology savy people who hate apple and will never buy an apple who would want that product on their android and wouldn't support it unless an android option was part of the deliverables.

Factor in that colecovision had smaller market share than atari and nintendo and systems like that which gives you a small subset to begin with and the failure rate was a pretty high probability.

Now I was definately on the side of hoping it would succeed but being a technology person on the side of hating apple, I thought its only chance would be a rich guy donating most of the money.

Yes I clicked the link hoping it was new hardware but it was app. I like playing on the real thing and even then there are lots of emulators already (OK not perhaps very legal but they emulate well).

I've got a order in for the super game module for the coleco and that is the sort of thing I'd be happy to back!

I just looked at the Kickstarter. I am a bit shocked that they wanted $250,000 to make an emulator. As the page states,

"Yes, there are free emulators out there which work to varying degrees, and that is GREAT!"

Well, that's just it. You're trying to raise $250,000 to develop an emulator for one platform (iOS) to play a handful of games you got the license for (not even the complete CV library by far). They seemed to be focused on creating, "a beautiful, unique, graphical, intuitive user-interface". That's grand and all, but frankly, who cares? If I can easily select the games I want to play, the games run well, with a decent control scheme (generally difficult in iOS for these types of games), that's what's important. I don't care to have to "swipe" through my game library to pick a game I want to play. A good interface, in my opinion, is one that doesn't get in the way, and it sounds like this one very much would have.

This Kickstarter was doomed from the start. Too niche of a market for something people can easily get for free on considerably more platforms than they were aiming for. With a larger library than they were offering.

..Al

• Like 10

What is all this hate toward Apple :?

As for me, I think the problem is simply the stretch goal ($250,000)

I mean, that's a shit load of money!

I understand the fact that everything must be liscenced here, but this killing the project even before it start

I hope they will find some way to do it

Meanwhile, I wish them the best of luck

The best thing would be to make the same emulator without having ROMS

So you could add them yourself

In this case, they will have to switch their project to Android platform

They state they need $130-140K for the five month development period. I seriously doubt we'll see anything at all from them if the Kickstarter fails, especially given the low amount raised thus far. With 10 days left, they'd need to raise $24,000 a day. Not going to happen.

Also, switching to Android won't make any difference. It's more difficult to develop quality apps for Android, and if they were hoping to sell the app, good luck with that on Android, they'd do miserably there.

..Al

Do these dudes own the Coleco brand now or is it still with River West?

http://www.riverwestbrands.com/brand_properties.php

I secretly always wanted to make a new licensed Coleco game for the 2600.

You should ask Opcode, he made through all licensing issues to get out the Super Game Module as a fully licensed product from Coleco.

The amount trying to be raised seemed ridiculous to me. There are emulators produced by 1 person that are given away for free. 10k with the Coleco license and a couple Coleco licensed games and the ability to add all the other yourself may have worked out.

$240,000 is an absurd amount for something like this.
Wasteland 2 only wanted $900,000 and that involved a large team of developers, a large group of artists, writers, etc... plus over a year of work.
This is a freakin emulator with some fancy crap thrown on the front end and they have plenty of code out there to use as a guide.

• Like 1

What is all this hate toward Apple :?

As for me, I think the problem is simply the stretch goal ($250,000)

I mean, that's a shit load of money!

I understand the fact that everything must be licensed here, but this killing the project even before it start

I hope they will find some way to do it

Meanwhile, I wish them the best of luck

The hate for Apple is that these guys said they cannot make an iOS CV app without licensing the games. Apple will not allow that. However, if it were Android.... I suspect even the owner of the Coleco IP would have trepidations over licensing the Coleco name to an app which functions as an emulator for "free roms." There are CV emu's for Android, which can be sideloaded.

• Like 3

The hate for Apple is that these guys said they cannot make an iOS CV app without licensing the games. Apple will not allow that. However, if it were Android.... I suspect even the owner of the Coleco IP would have trepidations over licensing the Coleco name to an app which functions as an emulator for "free roms." There are CV emu's for Android, which can be sideloaded.

Ok, I see (and understand the point here). :)

Edited by retroillucid

Would have loved to see this CV App become a reality mainly for the added publicity it would have provided the CV and maybe it still will happen considering the amount of time and money that RantMedia has already invested. BTW, did RantMedia use a KickStarter for their Vectrex App as well?

Anyway, this just goes to show what people really want around here....

- Gamester'81: The Video Game - Indiegogo campaign has raised $9,235

- iOS CV App - KickStarter campaign has raised $8,177

With fundraising I'm starting to think one should NOT announce the need for funding to ethusiasts during the Kickstarter itself. One should ask the enthusuasts if it's a good idea before the Kickstarter first and THEN go ahead.

You can't please everyone but at least you'll have an idea of how many you can (and with what).

• Like 1